Is it an American thing??

N

numacuser

Hi,

Maybe I'm wrong but from watching movies and trips over there a higher % of people tend to have Macs in the USA than in the UK. OK its not 50% PC -- 50% Mac but it must be a 30-70 split or something like that. Whereas over here I know 2 people who have got a mac (1 of them is me!) out of all my friends with PCs. Am I right that apple has a bigger market share compared to PCs in the US than in the UK??

Sam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
I doubt it highly, but I really dont know, I know tw other people with a Mac, and one is my brother in law, and its our old G3 we gave to him :)

Id say if anything you brits are more into expressing yourselves and individuality then we are......and thats definitely what apple caters to, so if anything its the other way around>

just postulating here, I have no clue really.

OP
H

hill.ed

im the only person i know with a mac! however i have converted my housemates (3 other people) to go and get one over the summer.

Just doing my part to help apple :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
Icicle said:
I doubt it highly, but I really dont know, I know tw other people with a Mac, and one is my brother in law, and its our old G3 we gave to him :)

Id say if anything you brits are more into expressing yourselves and individuality then we are......and thats definitely what apple caters to, so if anything its the other way around>

just postulating here, I have no clue really.

hi

i tend to agree with the original theory or question
i'm in the uk, and while macs are definately on the way up
especially since OSX, I feel its more an american thing.

maybe because there are obviously many more people in usa
than most other countries, it just feels that way.

one things for sure its does'nt matter what nationality you are when
you are into macs the feeling is the same i.e. they are superior

thats how i feel anyway and the french have the best saying for macs
- vive la difference.

kind regards

OP
M

mangoSharingan

I do Computer Science at KCL and in my lecture class, I know only 2 other people out of 150+ who have Macs, lol. The UK certainly has been slow since there aren't as many Apple stores as in the US. I'm not even sure whether most of the people who visit the Regent Street store are interested in Apple products since most of them just want to check their e-mails, browse or IM chat!

OP
T

Tel

I know about three other people with Macs in the UK, but my dad's printing company use nothing but Macs too. Looking at the Regent St store, everyone seems to have iBooks and tend to be students or student age.

OP
E

embries

At my college, macs are maing a comeback, particularly the powerbooks. I've seen probably 15 powerbooks this week and only 5 or so regular PC laptops. Our website will be hosted on an xserve system sometime this year as well. I think things are on the uptake for Apple as long as they continue to push new products and new technology they'll be fine.

Reaction score
I know one other with a Mac and he's good with it, but so darn far away. Everyone else has pc's and when I need a hands on demo to understyand something it can get frustrating I think i read that Apple is out numbered with only something like 8% of computer sale in the USA ...Not positive about that # but I know it's a lot lower than 30%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I know alot of people who have macs, either powermac G5's or Powerbook G4's. This is mainly because of the tv studio program at my high school and that fact that they teach use final cut pro, so most of the students convinced their parents to go and buy them a mac. So I would say that 50% of my friends have a mac 25% of them want one, and 25% think they suck and would never buy one (they will eventually change their minds ;-) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Graphite 500MHz G3, 640 MB Ram
On TV and in films you always see people using Macs because they look alot better than a PC, you get it in English TV as well.

OP
R

Robbob91

I believe that I read somewhere that 1 out of every 33 PC's in the US is a Mac. It was on a review for tiger A few weeks back.

Rob

Reaction score
Robbob91 said:
I believe that I read somewhere that 1 out of every 33 PC's in the US is a Mac. It was on a review for tiger A few weeks back.

Rob

I heard similar numbers not too long ago. Mac OS had close to the same amount of desktop users as Linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Wherever I go, businesses and government offices seem to exclusively use PCs, mostly running Windows. I've seen a few retail stores with Linux machines or POS systems. My bank used to use OS/2, but I haven't looked recently.

I've seen a few Macs at universities over here. Even there, the PCs outnumber them significantly.

I know people with Macs at home, though. Apple has never had much of the business market, but enough people buy iMacs and Mac minis for their own use. But no way is it 70/30. I'd say 90/10.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.4Ghz, 4GB ram, 160Gig hd, superdrive
My school district has macs... the main reason is because they got money(dono where it was from) and they wanted to get computers.. in doing so, my school district got a phat distcount for Macs..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
Market Share

I recently read that the mac market share in England had expanded nearly 30% in the last year. Over the last couple of years, the Mac has expanded its market shrare in the USA by about 50%. It's still not much - I think it went from 2.2% to 3.3% of all computer sales. Still, that's a huge expansion in both markets and, given another couple of years like that, you'll wind up with 1 mac owner for every 20 PC owners. I think you'll see more and more mac owners in the coming years.

Also consider that Mac owners tend to keep their machines a lot longer than PC owners, and the overall base of Mac owners winds up being an even bigger percentage. I've read that its estimated in the 5-10% range of all home computers in use presently.

I only personally know two other people that own a mac, vs maybe 30 others that have PCs, but I know 2 others that are thinking of buying in the next year (one a mini, other a powerbook). Both of them are PC technicians. The ratios are getting better.

-Lonerider

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
It may also depend on where in the US you look. I would imagine the ownership of Macs is higher in areas like California and New York than other areas, just because that i the type of market Apple seems to cater to. I know many people who own Macs, but then again I live about 20-30 minutes away from the home of Apple; Cupertino. Most of my friends use Macs, and every public school and university I have attended has used Macs.

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I only know three other people with macs not business related, but I know several PC users who either want to have a mac and/or have made their PC look like a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
I think there is also the big market in buying used mac's, like I did from eBay. You don't see PC's being recycled or resold as much as you see mac's. Now that I've tweaked and upgraded it, I love my G4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.