More of a Big iPhone...

Reaction score
...than a small portable laptop, I think.

I love Apple products. I have an iPhone and a MacBook Pro. The iPad is a beautiful object but that seems pretty useless to me.

Why? Well it is more of a big phone than a small laptop. Take the applications, I watched the video with Steve Jobs and all the other guys presenting the iPad. Well when they were running apps it was on a small screen, and that looks pretty odd to me. Yes you can zoom in but I don't know if you noticed that they didn't run so many applications full screen (at least should I say they chose carefully which ones to run).

Yes it looks to be a cool thing to use to browse internet, or look at pictures..yahoo! Do you really spend hours looking at your pictures on your phone or laptop? I don't.

Hey you can use it as a phone as well...what a big *** phone lol! How practical is it? seriously why would you put your SIM card on it? You already have a phone for Pete Sake!

I'd love the iPad if it was more like the HP Slate. It looks to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that the Slate comes with a real OS with which you can use the Slate as a real small portable laptop. The iPad is just a big phone for god sake!

You can watch movies..how on earth are you supposed to put your movies on that thing? Oh yeah you have to buy them on the iTunes store....what about Netflix? Can I watch Netflix movies on the iPad using Safari in good quality? That would be awesome! Oh and forget about your DVDs..can't play them anyway, a laptop is better.

Yes many negative comments. Please just explain to me why you would really need an iPad? Really why? I'd buy it only because it looks sexy, that's all. IF it had a real OS like on a laptop then I'd buy it for sure if I can do Word, Excel, etc. But download a third party application to be able to use my Excel spreadsheet that's pretty lame to me.

Just tell me why :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Welcome to Mac-forums

I think if you are really interested in our thoughts on the subject perhaps look around a bit and you will find all of our reasons for and agianst the iPad.

I hope you enjoy you stay here

Clay

Reaction score

I love Apple products. I have an iPhone and a MacBook Pro. The iPad is a beautiful object but that seems pretty useless to me.

Why? Well it is more of a big phone than a small laptop. Take the applications, I watched the video with Steve Jobs and all the other guys presenting the iPad. Well when they were running apps it was on a small screen, and that looks pretty odd to me. Yes you can zoom in but I don't know if you noticed that they didn't run so many applications full screen (at least should I say they chose carefully which ones to run).

Yes it looks to be a cool thing to use to browse internet, or look at pictures..yahoo! Do you really spend hours looking at your pictures on your phone or laptop? I don't.

Hey you can use it as a phone as well...what a big *** phone lol! How practical is it? seriously why would you put your SIM card on it? You already have a phone for Pete Sake!

I'd love the iPad if it was more like the HP Slate. It looks to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that the Slate comes with a real OS with which you can use the Slate as a real small portable laptop. The iPad is just a big phone for god sake!

You can watch movies..how on earth are you supposed to put your movies on that thing? Oh yeah you have to buy them on the iTunes store....what about Netflix? Can I watch Netflix movies on the iPad using Safari in good quality? That would be awesome! Oh and forget about your DVDs..can't play them anyway, a laptop is better.

Yes many negative comments. Please just explain to me why you would really need an iPad? Really why? I'd buy it only because it looks sexy, that's all. IF it had a real OS like on a laptop then I'd buy it for sure if I can do Word, Excel, etc. But download a third party application to be able to use my Excel spreadsheet that's pretty lame to me.

Just tell me why :Evil:

I guess its for people who don't have an iPhone, iPod Touch, or Macbook. In the beginning it did appear to be just an over sized iPhone to me, but with features such as iWork, and additional possibilities that have yet to be announced. Like you mentioned, Netflix hasn't popped up yet, but I'm sure it will now that they realize how big and powerful the iPad is.

And about the undersized iPhone apps, I think Jobs did a great job of showing off what can be done when apps are converted to the iPad, and EA showed off how games can look just as good.

OP
V
Reaction score
I guess its for people who don't have an iPhone, iPod Touch, or Macbook. In the beginning it did appear to be just an over sized iPhone to me, but with features such as iWork, and additional possibilities that have yet to be announced. Like you mentioned, Netflix hasn't popped up yet, but I'm sure it will now that they realize how big and powerful the iPad is.

And about the undersized iPhone apps, I think Jobs did a great job of showing off what can be done when apps are converted to the iPad, and EA showed off how games can look just as good.

Could you tell me more about iWork and the iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Well it's not supposed to be a small portable laptop.

Why am I getting one? So I don't have to carry my MacBook to and from school every day. I already do that in highschool, and I absolutely hate doing it. I have already dropped it once. Luckily it was in my bag and no problems have occurred. I can't afford to buy another $1000+ computer, plus I love this one too much. I am NOT doing the Windows deal, so a china-plastic netbook/"laptop" is out for me.

That's why.

Could you tell me more about iWork and the iPad?

Wait until people can actually buy the iPad. But I can tell you that Apple developed an iPad optimized iWork suite that will be available in the App Store for ten bucks.

OP
V
Reaction score
Well it's not supposed to be a small portable laptop.

Why am I getting one? So I don't have to carry my MacBook to and from school every day. I already do that in highschool, and I absolutely hate doing it. I have already dropped it once. Luckily it was in my bag and no problems have occurred. I can't afford to buy another $1000+ computer, plus I love this one too much. I am NOT doing the Windows deal, so a china-plastic netbook/"laptop" is out for me.

That's why.

Could you explain to me how using an iPad at school will make your life easier than bringing your laptop? I'm not only talking about the weight of both machines....more usage...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Wait until people can actually buy the iPad. But I can tell you that Apple developed an iPad optimized iWork suite that will be available in the App Store for ten bucks.

I don't mean to be rude, but where is there any definitive documentation (proof) about this? It would be cool but so far it seems like it's just speculation.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I don't mean to be rude, but where is there any definitive documentation (proof) about this? It would be cool but so far it seems like it's just speculation.

Jobs said that in the Keynote BTW. $10 for each application in iWork for the iPad at the App Store.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/app-store/ Watch the Keynote for the $10 for each iWork for iPad App.

Also to the OP, the iPad is NOT a telephone. It does not make phone calls. The 3G is ONLY for data on the go.

You can install the Skype application and make phone calls, but it's not a phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

......... the keynote

And it's not having more usage, and I though I already explained it, but I do not want to bring my MacBook to and from school everyday. I'm staying home while attending college so bringing my computer everyday isn't necessary. I don't like doing that now in school, why should I have to continue that? Yes, laptops are meant to be mobile, but if anything happens to it I just couldn't afford it. I could afford the iPad to be repaired under Apple Care protection, and I wouldn't be without my main machine.

OP
V
Reaction score
Jobs said that in the Keynote BTW. $10 for each application in iWork for the iPad at the App Store.

Apple - iPad - App Store - 140,000 apps at your fingertips. Watch the Keynote for the $10 for each iWork for iPad App.

Also to the OP, the iPad is NOT a telephone. It does not make phone calls. The 3G is ONLY for data on the go.

You can install the Skype application and make phone calls, but it's not a phone.

Don't get me wrong guys, I'd love to have an iPad. But I like when you explain to me what it can do exactly. With iWork that sounds good to me. Even if you have to pay $10 for each app (3 in total? that's ok).

And I would love to have an iPad for when I travel somewhere and don't need the weight of my laptop and all the things that come with it (the big *** power adapter, the mouse ,etc.).

Btw, is the iPad to be used like an iPhone in the sense when you plug it in to a laptop to upload music and stuff? And I suppose you can plug it in to an outlet easily to recharge it like an iPhone too without a big *** power adapter?

I would really like to know how it will handle Netflix because I don't want to buy movies on the app store. Netflix is just so awesome :)

Oh btw: if you want the Wi Fi + 3G with 32go hard drive, it's almost the price of your laptop if you brake it lol...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Apple - iPad - App Store - 140,000 apps at your fingertips. Watch the Keynote for the $10 for each iWork for iPad App.

See, now I know. That's what I get for not watching the Keynote! This would be cool. I now wonder if they'll be made available for the iPod/iPhone or just the iPad?

As for the rest, the iPad is more like big iPod Touch than a big iPhone, IMO.

OP
V
Reaction score
See, now I know. That's what I get for not watching the Keynote! This would be cool. I now wonder if they'll be made available for the iPod/iPhone or just the iPad?

As for the rest, the iPad is more like big iPod Touch than a big iPhone, IMO.

An iPod touch is an iPhone without the cellular capability. Duh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iPad does really seem like a big iPod touch. But the interface got a hefty uplift and it looks like it can be more capable with certain things like note taking and web browsing, because of the larger screen size and bigger processor. I mean, think about holding a little tiny iPod/iPhone and typing on it half the day and staring at a little screen having to zoom in and out, in and out, in and out. The iPad eliminates that and fits the profile to take place of a netbook, even though it's not meant to be. That's where the most benefit will come of it, I believe. Not using it for solely music or playing games on. More of an organizational tool

Reaction score
Could you explain to me how using an iPad at school will make your life easier than bringing your laptop? I'm not only talking about the weight of both machines....more usage...

I have a Dell Inspiron 15'inch. Its a drag putting it in my labtop bag along with several of my books (It hurts my shoulder). With the iPad I can take notes on this small device, instead of using pencil and notebook, and hopefully in the future, textbooks will make their way to the iBooks store.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think, as I've said in a number of similar threads, that it would be prudent to wait and see some professional reviews before you pass judgment.

Right now you know about as much as the rest of us. The finer points of the device and its usefulness won't be known until its released (and some would say, until developers have had a chance to really enhance its capabilities with their own apps).

So, in short, I say patience is really warranted here. In my opinion, it's a device in a category all its own and comparing it to existing entrance in other categories is mostly useless conjecture.

C

chas_m

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

I don't think so based on some of the keynote and the size of the window needed to run them. I could be dead wrong but I guess time will tell. I think a full sized Spreadsheet would be hard to work with on the small screen of the iPhone/touch.

C

chas_m

You will never see iWork for the iPhone or Touch.

As anyone could tell from the demo, it would be impossible to make your finger work as accurately on a smaller screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I so agree with the articles listed above.

I think future shock is what people are feeling now. It happened with the imac. "What no floppy drive?" But now people never use them. And are happier for it. And it happened again with the ipod. "What something that tiny can't be useful". But now they are one of the most popular and sucessful technological devices of all time.

And I think the ipad is the same. People are going "Oh my god it can't do this or it has not got that, panic panic". I do agree the ipad (and ipod touch/iphone) are a totally new style of computing then the average computer. And one day in the future people will wonder how they ever lived without it.

Most people are scared of what the future will bring. And how it means they way they do things currently are numbered. But I think Apple embrace this and realise one way of doing things can not last for ever. And try to be the best of the new way. So people buy their products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
"The iPad is just a big iPod" = Finalist - Most Overstated Opinion Of The Year On The Internet.

Right up there with "Avatar is just Dances With Smurfs."

In all seriousness, I think it could eventually come to be viewed the other way around: that the iPod Touch and iPhone were smaller, preliminary versions of the iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.