PDA

View Full Version : Picture this.

Greysquirrel34
02-14-2010, 10:51 AM
A dozen or so blue haired grandmothers at a bridge club all with iPads showing pictures of their grandchildren sent to them by their children.
Yet maybe another market for the iPad.

CrimsonRequiem
02-14-2010, 11:36 AM
500 dollars for a digital picture frame/viewer? I dunno about that.

bobtomay
02-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Maybe not the current generation of grandmothers, but sure could be the next.

RavingMac
02-14-2010, 03:48 PM
My first thought was to laugh, but then I remembered how much of a hit the Wii was with elder bowling leagues etc for those no longer able to handle the physical stress from the "real" sports.

Could very well see something similar with the iPad depending on what Apps come out for it.

Slydude
02-14-2010, 05:28 PM
I saw an article somewhere suggesting something very similar. Essentially it could become an 8 x 10 digital photo frame. The article went on to suggest that the iPad could become the portable, as in cary around the house, internet device.

chas_m
02-14-2010, 08:53 PM
All the seniors in my Mac User Group are *incredibly* excited about this device. They did *not* react in this fashion to the iPhone or iPod, though quite a few *eventually* got these devices.

Yes, I think a zero-maintenance, zero-config, zero-learning-curve device like the iPad will do well with seniors.

torchy
02-21-2010, 12:52 AM
This grey haired grandmother doesn't play bridge..
careful.... :)

BadApple
02-22-2010, 12:02 AM
It will be great for seniors, I teach them how to use a mac.. this is going to be awesome for many.

02-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Surely the iPad is a bit big for their handbags? Maybe they'll just use their iPhones instead. :P

the8thark
02-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Not really. Many of the grandmothers carry around handbags the size of small suitcases. So an ipad will fir in easily. I know cause my grandmother carries around one of these ugly bags.

And what makes this device good for the seniors is many of them are hard of sight in their advanced age. And reading the tiny teny fonts on a screen we all do every day is very hard for them. But the coloured squares that is each app picture on the ipad would be much easily recognised by them.

02-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Hehe, fair point. I guess my gran is in the minority then!

It would be an interesting experiment to get my grandparents an iPad for Christmas...Although Broadband internet would have to get there first!