• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

choices: G4-733 or G4-450 or G3-400

J

jmusic_man

Hey guys.

I'm a music student and I'm looking into a Macintosh to run alongside my PC for a better computing experience (yay OS X)

I have some choices of used macs in my area...

G4 PowerMac QuickSilver 733MHz/256m/40g/cdrw/ati agp ($600Canadian)

or

G4 Powermac
256m, 20g hd, dvd player, zip, 16m ati agp ($400CAD)

or

Rev.2 Blue and White G3 400. Lots of Ram and disk space. All boxed with manuals! RADEON 7000 video card installed with Quartz Extreme Hack running!

448mb Ram (1x256,3x64), twin harddrives totalling 28Gb, built-in zip drive & original OEM 32x CD-ROM. Running OS 10.2.8 Jaguar (original disks included). Original Blue & White keyboard and hockey-puck mouse included. ($275CAD)

(sorry -- I copied the descriptions from their posts)

What are the advantages of these machines? Are there any prices that are an absolute steal?(Keeing in mind that they're in Canadian dollars).

Thanks guys!
-->James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
The Quicksilver would probably be my choice of those you listed. It's definitely the most powerful, and has the most hard drive space. With an inexpensive RAM upgrade (I'd probably buy a 512 MB stick for it), it should perform rather well, and the price seems pretty good.

Of course, you could also consider a brand new mini for slightly more than the Quicksilver (Canadian pricing starts at $629 without the Education discount), and it would be considerably more powerful and would also include a warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Hey, thats a point. Minis are great, and suprisingly fast too.

OP
M

markceltic

Is the displays included in those prices ? Personally I'd go with the newest of the bunch, how tight is the money though? Amazing that those machines haven't had the memory upgraded :shrug:. Please make that your priority if you do buy one of these.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.