Bootcamp XP (hinky) wireless

Reaction score
I recently (like last week) bought a MBP, and installed XP Pro via Bootcamp.

I got all the devices working properly, however, the wireless on the XP side does not detect my wireless. It works flawlessly on the Mac side (but I would certainly expect no less ;) ). In the device settings, there doesn't seem to be any issue with the drivers.

I can see other peoples' wirrless networks - unfortunately for me, they are all secured and locked down.

I'm running a Linksys WRT54g.

Any advice?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Usually Windows wireless is easy to setup and get working. Sounds to me like you have a problem setting up your router. If your wireless is not being detected, but yet you're detecting other networks, then some setting is amiss.

Are you using encryption on your wireless network? If so, try turning it off temporarily.

Try hooking an ethernet cable from the router to your Mac and see if Windows picks that up and gets you on the net. If that works, then you know it's a router setting or Windows setting that's not right.

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
Router is working fine. When on the Mac side, the network is detected and connects fine, however, when going to the Bootcamp/XP side, it doesn't detect the wireless network.

SSID is being broadcasted, WEP encrypted.

Connecting direct to router works fine. Device Manager shows that the wireless is functioning properly, and I'm guessing that it (more or less) does, but for some reason doesn't detect the network I'm looking for ... even if I'm sitting next to it.

Is it possible the wireless on the Bootcamp/XP side is only looking for an N network and it not being backwards compatible to the G router? I know that the device itself if multi band, or else it wouldn't have worked on the Mac side.

Any other suggestions??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is it possible the wireless on the Bootcamp/XP side is only looking for an N network and it not being backwards compatible to the G router? I know that the device itself if multi band, or else it wouldn't have worked on the Mac side.

No. It's backwards compatible and should pick it up. I have an old Toshiba notebook that has a "B" wireless card in it and it works fine from my new "N" type router and network. It just slows down to 11 MBs.

When in Windows, do you "see" any other networks in your vicinity? (you should see some) If you see other networks and they are not encrypted, can you connect to one of them as a test?

And you're sure the SSID is being broadcast? (I wonder if it is, since you can't see it.)

If you've gone through all the settings and you're sure the SSID is being broadcast, I suggest you try resetting the router back to factory default. Attach an ethernet cable to it, and then go into the router setup menu and start over.

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
There are several other wireless networks that is detected, however, they are all secured so there is no way for me to test a connection or throughput of it.

The SSID is definitely being broadcasted, as it is visible from the OSX side.

I've connected directly to the router via cable and have reset and reconfigured the router, but the wireless is still not visible on the bootcamp/xp side.

There are several software apps that I need to run, but need to so on the XP side, with a viable internet connection.

(sigh)

Anything I should be trying? I'm totally at a loss as to what else to try. :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm running out of things to try.... Here at home I'm running Windows 7, the setup for wireless is a bit different from XP.

Do you see the wireless icon in your system notification tray (bottom right side)? You should see that along with another icon for the ethernet that might say "a cable is disconnected". Anyway, what happens when you right click on the wireless icon and select "detect wireless networks"?

If I remember XP correctly, it should bring up a list of wireless networks in range. When you bring up this list, your network is missing? I really can't understand why it would be missing if you can "see" your network from the OS X side.

I just found this doing a search on SSID in Windows XP. See if this LINK gives you any insight on what's wrong.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.