My +'s and -'s

Reaction score
Ok, have been interested in the Ipad for awhile now. I have an Iphone 3g and it is my first and only Apple product and I think its great. I have been working with PC's for over a decade and I know that the Mac software is more stable, but just have a hard time justifying the extra price and less selection of software plus haveing to relearn a new OS. Anways, will start with the pluses:

Great design. I like simple, thin and lite.

The bookstore looks tremendous. My wife is a big reader, but has never been interested in E-books because the readers are always bright and very monitor like. She really loves how the books on the Ipad look.

Overall ease of use. With my experience with the Iphone, I can give it to a 70 year old and they can start using it right away, great form and function.

The apps that are included, photo, internet (yeah, no flash sucks, but honestly it does not bother me to have it omited) seem to be top notch and great to use.

Minuses:

No webcam. This is a huge crush to me. I have gotten used to using my webcam on laptop to chat with family, It would be a dream to be able to easily walk around the house, lay on the couch and webchat.

No external memory slot. Come on, to move files, namly photos from my pc to this is gonna be a tremendous pain. Having to buy 2 adapters for this function is horrible.

Battery. Ok, I have had my phone for a year now, the battery lasts about half as long as it did when it was new. I am actuallys uprised by this and thinks its ok. But with every laptop I had, within 2 years the battery life is measured in minutes, not hours. I am afraid that when this happens, not only will I be paying a huge price for the battery, I will be paying for shipping and without my product for weeks while it gets replaced.

Nothing annouced that it will work with inkwell. A function I think any tablet device should have is the ability to have the user use a stylus product and write down notes, and it translate to text. How this could be omited makes me scratch my head.

3G support thru AT&T only. I am currently an AT&T customer. I live in the 90% of the United States that there is no 3G. Everytime I go to my AT&T store I get "Soon". This has been going on for two and a half years. I live in Greenville NC, home of East Carolina University. They have 30,000 student there, and there are around 75,000 in Greenville. That does not include all of Pitt county. Anyways, no 3G here thru AT&T. Although 3 other carriers have it covered.

The 140,000 apps are ready statement. These are formated for the Iphone, not the Ipad, most will be pretty horrible to look at I have a feeling, but we will see. I think this could come back to haunt Apple.

All in all, I really want to get an Ipad, but with the features I really want missing, I would hate to go out and buy one and 6 to 12 months later they come out with a version that has what I like, ala the Iphone.

Any feedback is welcomed, lookin forward to your ideas and comments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Great design. I like simple, thin and lite.
I agree 100%.

The bookstore looks tremendous. My wife is a big reader, but has never been interested in E-books because the readers are always bright and very monitor like. She really loves how the books on the Ipad look.
Yes they look rather good on the ipad. Just don't expect it to be 100% up and running on ipad launch day. Might take a while for all the legal mumbo jumbo to be sorted out.

Overall ease of use. With my experience with the Iphone, I can give it to a 70 year old and they can start using it right away, great form and function.
And that's the idea. If grandma can use it and like it then the whole family will and that's more business for Apple.

The apps that are included, photo, internet (yeah, no flash sucks, but honestly it does not bother me to have it omited) seem to be top notch and great to use.
I think flash being omitted from the ipad is a really good idea. And with html5 you won't even need flash. It'll all be done in browser with no silly flash plugins needed. Apple is just pushing along the html5 development by doing this.

No webcam. This is a huge crush to me. I have gotten used to using my webcam on laptop to chat with family, It would be a dream to be able to easily walk around the house, lay on the couch and webchat.
If you video confrence for work sure you might need it. But otherwise no. Seriously how much talking can you do to someone while looking at their face at a screen. After a while someone will have to I dunno masturbate or something to break the tension. And holding it at arms length for anything more then a few mins while you video chat would be so annoying. If you had a dock to rest it on then you could video chat much easier. But hey that's what your computer can do webchat while on a desk. So in my opinion better to use your computer to video chat. Plus just having it would be a drain on battery life.

No external memory slot. Come on, to move files, namly photos from my pc to this is gonna be a tremendous pain. Having to buy 2 adapters for this function is horrible.
USB would have been nice. I will say that. But then even with USB the ipad might only read Apple formatted USB drives, so no moving windows files directly to the ipad. You'd have to move then to your Mac first.

Battery. Ok, I have had my phone for a year now, the battery lasts about half as long as it did when it was new. I am actuallys uprised by this and thinks its ok. But with every laptop I had, within 2 years the battery life is measured in minutes, not hours. I am afraid that when this happens, not only will I be paying a huge price for the battery, I will be paying for shipping and without my product for weeks while it gets replaced.
Yes this is an issue but if after the warranty is all used up you can crack it open yourself and replace the battery. After cause then you have no warranty to void. And if all your notebook computers have their batteries die like that, you should have used the warranty to get then fixed/replaced. As with what you are saying, they are clearly defective.

Nothing annouced that it will work with inkwell. A function I think any tablet device should have is the ability to have the user use a stylus product and write down notes, and it translate to text. How this could be omited makes me scratch my head.
This is purely a software thing. As the touch screen hardware on the ipad can clearly support this. Just wait till some 3rd party developer releases an App for this. Then you buy a little stylus of your own and you have the handwriting to text thing you want.

3G support thru AT&T only. I am currently an AT&T customer. I live in the 90% of the United States that there is no 3G. Everytime I go to my AT&T store I get "Soon". This has been going on for two and a half years. I live in Greenville NC, home of East Carolina University. They have 30,000 student there, and there are around 75,000 in Greenville. That does not include all of Pitt county. Anyways, no 3G here thru AT&T. Although 3 other carriers have it covered.
I'm not from the US. But AT&T do indeed suck. In many many ways. We all know if another carrier had it then no one would go through AT&T. Just an evil you have to put up with if you want 3G. Or you could forget all that mess and just use your local wi-fi hot spots with the wi-fi only version. And at home use your existing router/internet set up as a wi-fi hotspot.

The 140,000 apps are ready statement. These are formated for the Iphone, not the Ipad, most will be pretty horrible to look at I have a feeling, but we will see. I think this could come back to haunt Apple.
I think Apple are aware of this and made sure the iphone apps work and look very fancy with the ipad. Ugly looking Apps I assure you will not be cause of the iphone to ipad conversion. They will only be due to poor esign by the individual app developer.

All in all, I really want to get an Ipad, but with the features I really want missing, I would hate to go out and buy one and 6 to 12 months later they come out with a version that has what I like, ala the Iphone.
Yes you are no different to the rest of the world. If you want it now, buy it when it's released. If you do not for whatever reason, then don't buy one on the release date. Pretty simple really.
And the only reason why the iphone went how you described was cause the iphone/ipad touch were marketed as consumer devices and version 1 of those devices did that task well. But so many professionals saw the devices potential. And Apple had to quickly do something to keep the new found business potential of those devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.