Switcher question....

J

Jones!

Hi guys....

Well on my current PC laptop, all of my files etc are stored on an external Western Digital Hard Drive, which itself is compatible with Macs also.

Is it possible to simply unplug it from my laptop and plug it in to my shiney new Mac and transfer the files across or will it have to be reformatted when it is plugged into my Mac??

Therefore, if reformatting is the case, whats the best way to transfer files from my pc to mac without having to buy software. If both my computers are on a network, can I do it this way and will the files work?

Files are office files (I will have MS Office for Mac) and also holiday pictures etc.

Cheers people,

Jones! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i would plug it in and try it. it should ask you before it formats. i dont think it will want to format it. if it asks you then unplug it.

Reaction score
Is this USB 2.0 or Firewire? If so, you should just be able to plug it in to the Mac. I've done this myself with my external drives (I have two enclosures and three drives). I did have a problem where one very large directory wasn't seen by the Mac. The name of the directory was netscape so I don't think that the name was a problem but the directory contained well over a GB of files.

I just created a new directory and copied the files that I needed to that directory and the Mac saw it when I plugged it back in.

I suppose that you could do it using an FTP client as well. But I have all of my machines firewalled off on the home network (don't want any Windows viruses to jump from one machine to another).

OP
J

Jones!

Cheers guys, will give it a go and see what happens.

The drive is firewire for data transfer. Will let you know what happens.

OP
T

Tel

I've just tried my old external hard drive but it isn't even recognising it. Any idea why not?

OP
T

Tel

Ignor that last post, its just started working, I think its because the hard drive is old and cheap!

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

Ok if the external drive is formated in FAT32 then it will work. on the opposite f the drive is formatted to NTFS then it wont work.
if it is formated in NTFS then take all of your files from your external harddrive and then back them up some where ( on your PC or dvd disk or somewhere) and then format your external drive and thenput the files back on there and then it will be compatible with the mac and the PC

OP
T

Tel

My external HD is NTFS and its working fine, I am using Tiger though, maybe it wont work with an older OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
it's not external, but when I plugged in my older 80 gig main I used on my old PC, the mac read it just fine and I could see every file and folder (let me recover some old stuff! :) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
it must have worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Jones! said:
Hi guys....

Well on my current PC laptop, all of my files etc are stored on an external Western Digital Hard Drive, which itself is compatible with Macs also.

Is it possible to simply unplug it from my laptop and plug it in to my shiney new Mac and transfer the files across or will it have to be reformatted when it is plugged into my Mac??

Therefore, if reformatting is the case, whats the best way to transfer files from my pc to mac without having to buy software. If both my computers are on a network, can I do it this way and will the files work?

Files are office files (I will have MS Office for Mac) and also holiday pictures etc.

Cheers people,

What I have heard is that Mac will recognize an NTFS volume, but for read access only. So you should be able to copy files off onto your mac (or onto CDs or whatever) and then reformat to FAT32, which both computers should recognize.

Let me know how you get on, I'll be trying this soon when my new computer comes in the mail!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Tel said:
My external HD is NTFS and its working fine, I am using Tiger though, maybe it wont work with an older OS

Actually, OSX can read NTFS but can't write to it. If you are just transfering files to the mac this obviously wouldn't be a big deal.

OP
J

Jones!

Thanks guys.....my Mac hasnt arrived yet, should be arriving tomorrow or the next day....or the next day.....or the next day.....

Anyway, will let you know how I get on but it sounds like it should work a treat.

Cheers,

OP
D

djmitch

I plugged my Lacie 80GB USB 2.0 drive into my Mini yesterday and transferred files without a problem, and they were originally on my Windows 98 Hewlett Packard. As an earlier post advised, "I would plug it in and try it", then ask for advice if it doesn't work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.