Should I wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm contemplating on whether or not I should wait for Apple to release a iPad 2.0 or whatever it'll officially be named in the coming year(s). When the very first iPhone was released, I picked it up, and than a year later, a cheaper and better iPhone came out. So I'm trying to avoid history repeating itself, and me wasting hundreds of dollars.

I'd appreciate you guy's feedback.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
To me, the iPad is not a "must-have" device. There's no particular need that a laptop (which I already own) can not fulfill. But if you foresee it as something that fills a specific need or would improve your life in some meaningful way, go for it.

If it's just a neat gadget that interests you, by all means, wait - it might be worth sitting back a bit to see how it evolves. Right now, I think it's kind of a blank canvas that might ultimately be a must-have device. It just remains to be seen how well it's supported by third parties with both peripherals and software. If it does well, it might be better to pick it up after some refinement.

OP
Closerframe
Reaction score
I too have a labtop, but its somewhat of a hassle dragging to class, and with the iPad it has the potential to carry all my textbooks, but it doesn't even have a flash player or Adobe reader.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Well you don't need Adobe Reader since the iPad will be able to open PDF files, just like the iPhone and iPod touch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch/iPhone 3G
To me, the iPad is not a "must-have" device. There's no particular need that a laptop (which I already own) can not fulfill. But if you foresee it as something that fills a specific need or would improve your life in some meaningful way, go for it.

If it's just a neat gadget that interests you, by all means, wait - it might be worth sitting back a bit to see how it evolves. Right now, I think it's kind of a blank canvas that might ultimately be a must-have device. It just remains to be seen how well it's supported by third parties with both peripherals and software. If it does well, it might be better to pick it up after some refinement.

I have to agree with cwa107. I have an iPhone and an iMac. I've been thinking about getting a 15 inch MacBook Pro but the price and weight were issues for me.

Now with the iPad coming out it's a perfect fit for what I need. I don't need the iPad to do everything a laptop can do. Email, web surfing, music, video/movies, games, and apps of course. That's all I really need.

I won't be waiting for version 2. I'm sure Version 2 will probably have more features and probably cost less but if you were always waiting for the next version you would be waiting forever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
According to Apple themselves, a big part of the iPad strategy is NOT to screw the early adopters by charging them a premium, and then dropping the price for V 2.0. Okay, they didn't word it quite like that, but that's the idea.

As far as design enhancements, sure that is going to happen, but it does with all computer and tech devices any more.

OP
Closerframe
Reaction score
Okay, with a $500 price tag it doesn't seem like a fitting price if you're trying to compete with Netbooks;especially if I can get a notebook from Dell for $500. I know Apple is trying to show that Flash is a dead functionality, but most internet games and websites feature Flash.

Tiger Roach, I've never read or heard any reports of Apple saying they aren't gonna release a version 2.0, or not screw over consumers. They do it repeatedly ever year when they release new iPods and iPhones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Okay, with a $500 price tag it doesn't seem like a fitting price if you're trying to compete with Netbooks;especially if I can get a notebook from Dell for $500. I know Apple is trying to show that Flash is a dead functionality, but most internet games and websites feature Flash.

Tiger Roach, I've never read or heard any reports of Apple saying they aren't gonna release a version 2.0, or not screw over consumers. They do it repeatedly ever year when they release new iPods and iPhones.

Hello and welcome aboard.

2 questions on your post .

1. Where did you hear that Apple was wanting to compete with netbooks with the iPad?

2. How is up-dating and evolving a product line screwing over consumers?

Ill hang up and listen to your response.;D

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
They do it repeatedly ever year when they release new iPods and iPhones.

Not necessarily. It should always be anticipated that new and better technology will be released. When Apple released the new unibody MacBooks that had better specs, I never complained. It's really about how the computer works for you, not to have the best and the fastest. If that was true, everyone would be dropping almost $15K on maxed out Mac Pros. I still have the '08 white MacBook, with a little 2.1 GHz core 2 duo and 1GB of RAM. It is still fast for what I need it to do. I could use a RAM upgrade, but it's not a big deal.

The iPhone is still a great device as well.

So if you see it absolutely fit that you need the iPad, don't wait. For me, I will be getting one in about 3 months for college.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

They're not competing with netbooks, they're not even comparable devices, except that they can do some similar things. Personally, I think they're more competitive with an eReader, albeit with far more capability.

How is it screwing over customers to continue to advance the technology? By that mentality, almost every technology company screws over its customers every year.

OP
Closerframe
Reaction score
Hello and welcome aboard.

2 questions on your post .

1. Where did you hear that Apple was wanting to compete with netbooks with the iPad?

2. How is up-dating and evolving a product line screwing over consumers?

Ill hang up and listen to your response.;D

Clay

1. During the Apple keynote Jobs himself declared netbooks are not good at anything. Multiple times during the conference he even said statements about how much better it feels in the hands over a clunky netbook. And each product Apple releases they're always looking to compete with someone else. So if you wanted to look at anything one could say the iPad is attempting to compete with all eReaders, netbooks, and media devices.

2. If up-dating and evolving a product means re-releasing the same product every year with just a different interface and design isn't cheating the buyer who bought the previous generation the previous year than I don't know what is. :|

Not necessarily. It should always be anticipated that new and better technology will be released. When Apple released the new unibody MacBooks that had better specs, I never complained. It's really about how the computer works for you, not to have the best and the fastest. If that was true, everyone would be dropping almost $15K on maxed out Mac Pros. I still have the '08 white MacBook, with a little 2.1 GHz core 2 duo and 1GB of RAM. It is still fast for what I need it to do. I could use a RAM upgrade, but it's not a big deal.

The iPhone is still a great device as well.

So if you see it absolutely fit that you need the iPad, don't wait. For me, I will be getting one in about 3 months for college.

The iPhone 2G is a crappy device, trust me I have one, and I basically took a backseat when firmware 3.0 was released because the specs for my iPhone aren't strong enough to support picture or video messages.

OP
Closerframe
Reaction score
How is it screwing over customers to continue to advance the technology? By that mentality, almost every technology company screws over its customers every year.

The difference between other technology companies is that they don't release a the same product with just a redesign. Unless, you're referring to Nintendo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
The difference between other technology companies is that they don't release a the same product with just a redesign. Unless, you're referring to Nintendo.

Not really just a redesign. Updated hardware is usually included with new updates. You update devices with new and improved hardware to keep up with the demand of better technology. Why do you think people kept improving the computer? If they didn't, we would still be using punched cards to carry out simple calculations.

OP
Closerframe
Reaction score
Not really just a redesign. Updated hardware is usually included with new updates. You update devices with new and improved hardware to keep up with the demand of better technology. Why do you think people kept improving the computer? If they didn't, we would still be using punched cards to carry out simple calculations.

The iPod Nano 5th generation is the same as the 4th, except it features a video camera that records 15-minutes of video. I'm just saying I think it would be best if Apple at least waited two years to release a new line of iPods. If one iPod needs a redesign and new updates than its the iPod classic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. During the Apple keynote Jobs himself declared netbooks are not good at anything. Multiple times during the conference he even said statements about how much better it feels in the hands over a clunky netbook. And each product Apple releases they're always looking to compete with someone else. So if you wanted to look at anything one could say the iPad is attempting to compete with all eReaders, netbooks, and media devices.

2. If up-dating and evolving a product means re-releasing the same product every year with just a different interface and design isn't cheating the buyer who bought the previous generation the previous year than I don't know what is. :|

The iPhone 2G is a crappy device, trust me I have one, and I basically took a backseat when firmware 3.0 was released because the specs for my iPhone aren't strong enough to support picture or video messages.

Ok .

1. so your answer is then no you have not heard that that Apple was trying to compete with netbooks.

2. if in your opinion apple just puts a new design and different interface on a product so that it is basically the same as before then please tell me how thats cheating the guy who bought the previous year ? That just make no since to me.

3. your mad at apple because your 1st gen iPhone cant keep up with the new OS ? Really ? I get the feeling that the only way Apple could make you happy was to stop everything right where it is and never change a thing.

I for one ( and I'll bet I am not alone here) would not buy a product that a company just said " done ! thats good enough" The worst thing that can ever happen to a company is that they reach their goals. Innovation is the force that drives the world . At some point there was that last guy who bought the last buggy ever made just before the car came into being and ill bet he wasn't mad at the car company , i'll bet he said "sweet thats what Ill buy when this buggy breaks "

I own a Ford F250 Super Duty from '08 but I am not saying ford screwed me when they made a new model in '09 and then again this year. The new one has bluetooth mine doesn't so what? if I want bluetooth in my truck I guess Ill buy a new truck. Turns I I dont so I dont. The point is My truck still does what I need it to do and when it doesn't Ill have to buy a new one and if when I go to do that Ford hasn't improved them Ill buy a Chevy if they have.

Sorry for being so long winded

Clay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Here are just a few of the other companies that come out with a new "updated" product at least once a year on a regular schedule, that does really nothing more than include minor upgrades and many times nothing more than a cosmetic external change to their products.
Dell,
HP,
Compaq,
Alienware,
Asus,
Toshiba,
Sony,
Acer,
Hitachi,
Panasonic,
Onkyo,
LG,
Visio,
Samsung,
Polaroid,
Kenwood,
Bose,
Altec-Lansing,
Pioneer,
Yamaha,
Teac,
Harmon Kardon,
Denon,
Sherwood,
Logitech,
Canon,
Brother,
Epson,
Lexmark,
Emerson,
Frigidaire,
Westinghouse,
GE,
Magic Chef,
Avanti,
Jensen,
Pyle,
Dual,
JVC,
Boss,
Amana,
Maytag,
Bosch,
Toyota,
Ford,
GM,
Nissan,
Chrysler
Jaguar,
Lexus,
Infiniti,
Mitsubishi,
Kia,

Shall I go on? Didn't think so.

OP
Closerframe
Reaction score
Ok .

1. so your answer is then no you have not heard that that Apple was trying to compete with netbooks.

2. if in your opinion apple just puts a new design and different interface on a product so that it is basically the same as before then please tell me how thats cheating the guy who bought the previous year ? That just make no since to me.

3. your mad at apple because your 1st gen iPhone cant keep up with the new OS ? Really ? I get the feeling that the only way Apple could make you happy was to stop everything right where it is and never change a thing.

I for one ( and I'll bet I am not alone here) would not buy a product that a company just said " done ! thats good enough" The worst thing that can ever happen to a company is that they reach their goals. Innovation is the force that drives the world . At some point there was that last guy who bought the last buggy ever made just before the car came into being and ill bet he wasn't mad at the car company , i'll bet he said "sweet thats what Ill buy when this buggy breaks "

I own a Ford F250 Super Duty from '08 but I am not saying ford screwed me when they made a new model in '09 and then again this year. The new one has bluetooth mine doesn't so what? if I want bluetooth in my truck I guess Ill buy a new truck. Turns I I dont so I dont. The point is My truck still does what I need it to do and when it doesn't Ill have to buy a new one and if when I go to do that Ford hasn't improved them Ill buy a Chevy if they have.

Sorry for being so long winded

Clay

1. Did Apple officially declare the iPhone was a competitor for smartphones? No. Are iPhones in competition with smartphones and other mobile devices? Yes. You're basically telling me unless Steve Jobs doesn't say it directly say it, than it can't be true.

2. Its cheating the guy who bought the iPod the previous year because it adds a feature such as a video camera and/or more storage for the same price that they bought theres for.

3. Did I say I was mad at the entire Apple company just because they promised a revolutionary phone that cost $500, and when the first big update is released my phone, being the first generation, gets looked over? No, but you honestly have to see the unfairness to the people who bought the 2G iPhones. Are you telling me I should just upgrade to an iPhone 3GS just so I can receive picture messages? Does that seem fair?

OP
Closerframe
Reaction score
Here are just a few of the other companies that come out with a new "updated" product at least once a year on a regular schedule, that does really nothing more than include minor upgrades and many times nothing more than a cosmetic external change to their products.
Dell,
HP,
Compaq,
Alienware,
Asus,
Toshiba,
Sony,
Acer,
Hitachi,
Panasonic,
Onkyo,
LG,
Visio,
Samsung,
Polaroid,
Kenwood,
Bose,
Altec-Lansing,
Pioneer,
Yamaha,
Teac,
Harmon Kardon,
Denon,
Sherwood,
Logitech,
Canon,
Brother,
Epson,
Lexmark,
Emerson,
Frigidaire,
Westinghouse,
GE,
Magic Chef,
Avanti,
Jensen,
Pyle,
Dual,
JVC,
Boss,
Amana,
Maytag,
Bosch,
Toyota,
Ford,
GM,
Nissan,
Chrysler
Jaguar,
Lexus,
Infiniti,
Mitsubishi,
Kia,

Shall I go on? Didn't think so.

You can't honestly compare a car company to a computer or electronic distributor. New cars being released each year feature different accessories that weren't available the previous year, and its the duty of a car company to gain consumers from the competing company.

Like I said in a previous post, I'm not dissing Apple. I love both my iPod and iPhone, to a lesser degree. I just don't think one could say the iPad is worth $500.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. Did Apple officially declare the iPhone was a competitor for smartphones? No. Are iPhones in competition with smartphones and other mobile devices? Yes. You're basically telling me unless Steve Jobs doesn't say it directly say it, than it can't be true.

2. Its cheating the guy who bought the iPod the previous year because it adds a feature such as a video camera and/or more storage for the same price that they bought theres for.

3. Did I say I was mad at the entire Apple company just because they promised a revolutionary phone that cost $500, and when the first big update is released my phone, being the first generation, gets looked over? No, but you honestly have to see the unfairness to the people who bought the 2G iPhones. Are you telling me I should just upgrade to an iPhone 3GS just so I can receive picture messages? Does that seem fair?

lets go to point 2 now your saying that its cheating because it WAS up-dated ok a guy can change his mind thats cool.

3. Your phone didnt get over looked it got surpassed just as mine did and I wanted the up-date so I bought the 3g. Change is good. I want change to happen. There is nothing unfair in a company wanting to keep people from settling for what they have now , its called capitalism and so far it is the only system that has ever worked in the history of the world. as long as one person has that another wants there will be trade and there will be someone who wants to find something better to trade and so forth and so on. And If I am that 1st guy then you can bet Ill keep improving my product so people will keep buying from me.

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can't honestly compare a car company to a computer or electronic distributor. New cars being released each year feature different accessories that weren't available the previous year, and its the duty of a car company to gain consumers from the competing company.

What ? How is that not also Apples duty ? You cant have it both ways.

Clay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.