• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Books, the kind made of paper

Reaction score
I'm looking for a sort of Macbook Pro for dummies so that I can get a better handle on how things on my new computer work. I could start an endless stream of threads asking idiotic questions like; "how do I stop mail from automatically logging into to my email account and where is the GD log out/sign out button?", but I've already annoyed cwa... with my joke about widgets and I can only imagine how he might react to a load of inane threads asking those questions ad infinitum.

So, I'm looking for a book. I'm sure there are already threads here asking that very question, but I dare you to do a search with the word "book" in it and not lose the will to live. Point me in the direction of the existing threads, I'm not even sure if they would be considered hardware, software, or notebooks, and I'd be happy to read them, or you can give me your suggestions here. I don't promise to read them all, but I'll review the ones I do.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm looking for a sort of Macbook Pro for dummies so that I can get a better handle on how things on my new computer work. I could start an endless stream of threads asking idiotic questions like; "how do I stop mail from automatically logging into to my email account and where is the GD log out/sign out button?", but I've already annoyed cwa... with my joke about widgets and I can only imagine how he might react to a load of inane threads asking those questions ad infinitum.

So, I'm looking for a book. I'm sure there are already threads here asking that very question, but I dare you to do a search with the word "book" in it and not lose the will to live. Point me in the direction of the existing threads, I'm not even sure if they would be considered hardware, software, or notebooks, and I'd be happy to read them, or you can give me your suggestions here. I don't promise to read them all, but I'll review the ones I do.

Thanks.

I did a Google search for..."MacBook Pro for Dummies"...and guess what the very first hit was???:

Amazon.com: MacBook For Dummies

Here's the 2nd edition of the same book:

http://www.dummies.com/store/product/MacBook-For-Dummies-2nd-Edition.productCd-0470278161.html

And here's a whole list of Macintosh related books you may find interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...19&ref=pd_sl_570x8npmgp_e?tag=macforums0e4-20

...in about 10 seconds you would have had at least one good answer/option!;)

- Nick

OP
generic chick
Reaction score
I did that too. I don't like the dummies books. I was hoping for suggestions that people have actually read. I spent 45 minutes in a bookstore yesterday staring at titles. I got a headache and left.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did that too. I don't like the dummies books. I was hoping for suggestions that people have actually read. I spent 45 minutes in a bookstore yesterday staring at titles. I got a headache and left.

You should have said..."I don't like the Dummies books"!;)

What exactly do want to learn from the books?

Sometimes just learning by doing is the best way to learn with a computer...and if you want to do something specific that you can't figure out...you can either do:

- an internet search
- a search here at Mac-Forums
- or post a question

That way you save some money...and you don't end up with a computer book that in a year or 2 from now will just be gathering dust.

I find old computer books to be about as useful as a typewriter...unless you need doorstops!;)

- Nick

OP
generic chick
Reaction score
bobtomay:

I saw that Snow Leopard book yesterday. Thanks.

Nick:

I get what you are saying about the books. I have rooms full of them, but I like them. I prefer to look stuff up in a book than the internet. You have to wade through so much unwanted crap online, plus, nothing beats curling up with a good book. Trying stuff with the book beside you as reference is good too. The problem with asking me what I want to know, is that I don't know enough to even formulate a proper question. There's lots I know, and I'm not afraid to try stuff, but my free time is coming to an end soon and I don't want to be annoyed with the mac because the owner is too stupid to use it properly. Books are my friends. I trust them. Coincidentally, I have 2 old manual typewriters, in case you live in an old house with uneven floors and sloppy doors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
Do yourself a favor and purchase The missing maual, "Switching to Macs". I started using Macs last August for the first time and bought this book. It is my bible for Macs. You won't regret it. Also the people of Macforums are of tremendous help!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

I couldn't agree more. I'm more of a tinkerer who likes to find his way on his own, but on the advice of other members, I bought this one in its "Tiger" iteration and read it cover to cover. It's well-written in a style that is suitable to novices and computer veterans alike - and it doesn't read like an instruction manual (like the name would suggest).

Additionally, it covers the iLife suite, which is handy when you're trying to be productive with a suite of new apps.

Highly recommended.

OP
generic chick
Reaction score
Thanks, looks like I'll be looking at The Missing Manuals tomorrow.

I like to tinker too, I just don't know enough to knowif I'm improving, or "improving"!

Reaction score
I switched about 3 months ago and "The Missing Manual" is a godsend!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
+1 for all the Missing Manual books ! I even have the iPhone one.

Clay

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have rooms full of them, but I like them. I prefer to look stuff up in a book than the internet. You have to wade through so much unwanted crap online, plus, nothing beats curling up with a good book. Trying stuff with the book beside you as reference is good too. The problem with asking me what I want to know, is that I don't know enough to even formulate a proper question.

Coincidentally, I have 2 old manual typewriters, in case you live in an old house with uneven floors and sloppy doors.

I can understand "curling" up with a good book...the only problem with computer books is they get obsolete about as fast as the latest computers!:(

One good thing about searching on the internet (yes you do get a bunch of garbage many times)...is sometimes you find things you weren't necessarily looking for...which can be helpful.

By the way...I have two manual typewriters as well...and I bet mine are MUCH older than yours!!!;)

Good luck with the book search,

- Nick

OP
generic chick
Reaction score
One more for The Missing Manual. I think we may have a winner.

Nick:

This is a MAC we are talking about. They never get obsolete, do they?

Those typewriters make really good ballast for the back of your car, when the roads are slippery. They also give an encouraging "ding" when you go around a corner. I like to think of it as affirmation that I'm going the right way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Macs become obsolete? never!!!!

Good luck on your learning experiences with the Mac environment. I have always loved it's beautiful interface and how everything works together. Just have fun!!!

*edit: wait, paper? this is new to me. . .

(btw, I'm not poking fun at the cube there ;) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
One more for The Missing Manual. I think we may have a winner.
Yep +1 it was invaluable to me when i Switched 2 months before SL came out. He has a way with words for the non-technical :) Good buy

And just before the Zealots get hold of you FYI ..

A MAC isnt a Mac
As in its a Apple Mac Not a Apple MAC :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I was sort of talking computer books in general. For example, if you purchase a Mac OS related book (such as OS 10.6)...as soon as OS 10.7 comes out...the 10.6 book will be at least partially obsolete.

And in 2-3 years that OS 10.6 book will be as ancient as the tablets the 10 commandments were written on!;)

But since your new to Mac's...any info is good info!:)

As far as Macintosh computers going obsolete...I just acquired a circa 1990 Macintosh computer a couple weeks ago.:)

- Nick

OP
generic chick
Reaction score

*edit: wait, paper? this is new to me. . .

)

I know, it's like I'm speaking a foreign language, or something.

Yep +1 it was invaluable to me when i Switched 2 months before SL came out. He has a way with words for the non-technical :) Good buy

And just before the Zealots get hold of you FYI ..

A MAC isnt a Mac
As in its a Apple Mac Not a Apple MAC :)

I was shouting, for emphasis. How does one shout Mac without poking the zealots with a stick? Exclamation marks perhaps?

...I just acquired a circa 1990 Macintosh computer a couple weeks ago.:)

- Nick

So, do you want the typewriters, or not. I could spray them silver, although, they are a lovely glossy black at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I was shouting, for emphasis. How does one shout Mac without poking the zealots with a stick? Exclamation marks perhaps?

I gathered lol But perhaps !!!!!!!!!! :)

OP
generic chick
Reaction score
I'm not usually intimidated by zealots, but perhaps I'll save my poking for when they aren't expecting it. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, do you want the typewriters, or not. I could spray them silver, although, they are a lovely glossy black at the moment.

No thanks...I have enough already! Besides...the shipping would be outrageous!:(

Get reading you bookworm!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.