New iPad Commercial

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Actually that ad is really good. It shows some of the potential of the ipad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I can't wait to get one of these!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that the iPad is much cooler than some people think. I know that a lot of people are trying to use logic to help make a purchase decision...but I think once you get this thing in your own two hands, sit on the couch, and play with it...you'll love it!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I have already made room on my desk for the dock !

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
I think that the iPad is much cooler than some people think. I know that a lot of people are trying to use logic to help make a purchase decision...but I think once you get this thing in your own two hands, sit on the couch, and play with it...you'll love it!:)

- Nick

Absolutely. That is how I ended up with an iPhone - one of my coworkers had one and let me fiddle with it for a few moments, and I was lost. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Potential ? Sorry but... don't we already know all about its "potential" ? We know what it can and can not do. And we also know that it does not much else that an iPhone can't already do. I fail to see how this ad displays anything more than what we've already seen ? All I see is a big iPod Touch. Bigger calender, bigger gps map, bigger video and browsing screen.

What I don't see is .. well, you know.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
It's pretty different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
It is different. Its $300 more, it doesn't have a camera, and it'll feature iWork. Am I missing anything?

yeah, it's going to allow me to NOT carry my $1000 MacBook to and from school EVERY day. I already do that now for high school, and I hate it. But I have to bring it. So why not buy a device that is half as expensive, smaller, lighter, AND capable; with an iWork suite optimized especially for the iPad?

Yeah, I'm going with the iPad. I could care less about the camera, I hardly ever use the iSight on my MacBook, why would I need one on a device that wasn't even meant to replace the laptop in the first place?

Reaction score
yeah, it's going to allow me to NOT carry my $1000 MacBook to and from school EVERY day. I already do that now for high school, and I hate it. But I have to bring it. So why not buy a device that is half as expensive, smaller, lighter, AND capable; with an iWork suite optimized especially for the iPad?

Yeah, I'm going with the iPad. I could care less about the camera, I hardly ever use the iSight on my MacBook, why would I need one on a device that wasn't even meant to replace the laptop in the first place?

Well when you get to college you'll realize a lot of classes aren't Mac compatible. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I think he may also realize (yet to be seen) that when he or anybody else needs to transfer his iWork data or any other data to another machine that the plans of keeping a small physical foot print are kind of out the window. Having to carry around a dock, a USB dongle of sorts and god knows what else is going to be more of a hassle than carrying a MacBook I think.

But we shall see.

Doug

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well when you get to college you'll realize a lot of classes aren't Mac compatible. :(

I don't find that to be particularly true. If you use it to write paper and stuff then just use Open Office, iWorks, MS Office. They all do the same thing and can open the same documents.

The only classes where you might run into trouble is if you need to run a Windows Program. There is always Bootcamp, or some kind of OS emulation like Parallel, VmWare Fusion, and Virtual box.

It also depends on your major and department. Our Art/Design department uses Mac exclusively, and there are Mac Labs scatter around our campus.

I think he may also realize (yet to be seen) that when he or anybody else needs to transfer his iWork data or any other data to another machine that the plans of keeping a small physical foot print are kind of out the window. Having to carry around a dock, a USB dongle of sorts and god knows what else is going to be more of a hassle than carrying a MacBook I think.

But we shall see.

Doug

So very true. Wireless transfer feature maybe...not sure how that would work with a non Mac Machine though?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Email has been my primary source for that this year, as I have sent more papers to myself than there are words in War and Peace, so sharing data isn't going to be an issue. That is if I use the iPad to actually type papers. I was primarily going to use the iPad for note taking. If you have heard of an AlphaSmart, it is basically a note-taking device that allows you to type your notes instead of writing them. I really want to eliminate paper, because I don't like spending money on notebooks that seem to last hardly 2 months before coming ripped up, losing pages and looking unpresentable. I am a relatively fast typer, and my hands don't get tired after a lot of it, so I have no problem typing up any notes given. Yeah, it's on a 10" touchscreen, but that's the least of my concerns.

C

chas_m

But we shall see.

Doug

Doug:

Respectfully -- have you never heard of the cloud? Of automatic sync?

This is much, much less of an issue that you may think.

Reaction score
I don't find that to be particularly true. If you use it to write paper and stuff then just use Open Office, iWorks, MS Office. They all do the same thing and can open the same documents.

The only classes where you might run into trouble is if you need to run a Windows Program. There is always Bootcamp, or some kind of OS emulation like Parallel, VmWare Fusion, and Virtual box.

It also depends on your major and department. Our Art/Design department uses Mac exclusively, and there are Mac Labs scatter around our campus.

So very true. Wireless transfer feature maybe...not sure how that would work with a non Mac Machine though?

Well in both my Geography, Political Science, and all my Psychology classes, the teacher had made it an option to bring our labtops to class, but if we had Macs we could only use a pencil and paper because Macs aren't supported.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well in both my Geography, Political Science, and all my Psychology classes, the teacher had made it an option to bring our labtops to class, but if we had Macs we could only use a pencil and paper because Macs aren't supported.

were there certain programs that were Windows-only?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.