Recording old LP'S/Vinyl on garage band?

M

monkeymara

I am a complete and total newbie, have had a mac mini now for one month and aquired imic in order to convert all my old scratchty LP's. Is there an easy way to begin and /or a site that will provide step by step instructions. Advice much appreciated.

OP
B

Badger

Griffin has a intro to using iMic to record from a turntable, http://www.griffintechnology.com/support/imic/IMIC-MAC.ph. There is a page on setting up GarageBand or you can try Griffin's free recording software Final Vinyl. Final Vinyl is pretty basic but you can edit the recordings into tracks. There are also several free or low-cost editors that give you more options. Check an archive site like www.pure-mac.com. Once you get started you'll find that it is fairly intuitive.

OP
M

monkeymara

Badger said:
Griffin has a intro to using iMic to record from a turntable, http://www.griffintechnology.com/support/imic/IMIC-MAC.ph. There is a page on setting up GarageBand or you can try Griffin's free recording software Final Vinyl. Final Vinyl is pretty basic but you can edit the recordings into tracks. There are also several free or low-cost editors that give you more options. Check an archive site like www.pure-mac.com. Once you get started you'll find that it is fairly intuitive.
What are the best free low cost editors with good filters for noise and crud on old lp's? i've heard amadeus is decent.

OP
B

Badger

Amadeus and Audacity has good reps. I've used Amadeus occassionally to remove background noise. CD Spin Doctor is "free" - you have to buy Toast to get it - also works well. Amadeus has a 15 tryout period and Audacity is free so you can try them out. Personally, I've found that I'm able to get good results using just Final Vinyl but my LPs are in good shape.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.