New hard drive driving me crazy!

Reaction score
Hello,
trying to fit a new hard drive to my macbook 13" - bought one suggested by the apple store -
Western Digital 320GB 2.5" Laptop Hard Drive SATAII 5400rpm 8MB Cache - OEM

Have completed all of the steps to replace it, except the drive won't just slot back in as described and I don't want to force it! It's fitted the right way round, etc, so not sure what the issue is.

Have I bought the wrong hard drive?! It does seem to be fitted with some kind of male pins on one end, that are not present on the one I've taken out....

Any help appreciated please!
Thanks!:\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your MacBook is fitted with a SATA 2.5" HDD from the factory. In order to use a SATA II drive in your machine which has a SATA controller, normally a jumper must be installed for it to work correctly. I don't believe the WD SATA II drives are automatically backward compatible. You're also saying the drive doesn't fit - I'm not sure why not. Anyway, return the drive and purchase the correct one for your machine.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.