DIVX and OGM playback

M

MACATTACK

Hey guys, add one more Mac newbie to Mac Forums. After years of trying to tweak and mod my PC to look cool and applying countless aqua themes to my windows XP, I have finally decided to take the plunge and get a PowerBook G4. Ok, after that pointless self introduction I will get to the point: I am wondering, since I watch divx and OGM format videos on my PC heavily, I was wondering if Macs have divx and OGM decoders. TIA!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I don't exactly know what OGM is but here's a couple of programs you can look at:

iRip - It'll make AVI files out of a DVD.
DVDBackup - De-Encrypts DVD thus letting be able to backup your DVD
DVD2OneX - Takes your unencrypted files and make "movie only" .VOB files, thus making it possible to fit a DVD on one Disc.

For DVD to DVDR there's a tutorial at http://macx.ws/tuts/001.html

sKaD

OP
M

MACATTACK

Thanks for answering my post sKaD. All the programs you mentioned sound great for ripping DVDs onto hardrive for fast viewing. To elaborate on Divx and OGM formats, Divx is esentially a MPEG4 video format, with a PC decoder available at www.divx.com. OGM is a container format which uses the codec XVID for the video stream and Ogg Vorbis codec for its audio stream. In addition, OGM can have subtitles and multiple audio streams, ie. different languages.

OP
M

MACATTACK

Problem Solved!

Haha.... that was fast, found the answers to my questions pretty fast.

Anyways, I'll share what I found:

1. Turns out www.divx.com does offer divx playback codec for free on their site.

2. For Xvid (ogm), one can use ffmpegX to decode/encode. http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Thanks for the links MacAtack I'll look into Xvid, as for DivX I got the Pro ;)

sKaD

OP
C

Clyde

This might be quite a bump but I figure it's better than starting a new thread.

Umm... hi guys. I'm also a bit confused at the whole OGM thing. Espescially since I'm new to mac and new to .OGM files. I just downloaded some videos and tried to play them with VLC but I got nothing.

I read up on OGM files and found out they are basically movies clumped together with optional subtitles and audio language. I'd like to get that so I don't want to just convert it. I saw a lot of stuff on how to view it but it's all catered for Windows systems.

I just want to watch these videos with the subtitle and audio options. So what exactly do I need to do? What do I have to download? Do I have to mess around in terminal?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.