• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Connecting iMAC to Sony Camcorder

Reaction score
Hi All

New to the forum - please forgive me if I ask questions already answered earlier.

Problem: I tried to connect my Sony DCR-72E (mpeg2) camcorder to the newly purchased iMAC via USB. I opened iMovie and clicked on the camera icon part way down on the left handside. A popup window displayed stating it was locating any devices connected with "Sony Camcorder" displayed in the bottom part of the pop up window.

However, after a while this pop up window disappears but the camera is not connected.

I do set the camcorder to "connect to computer" on the camcorder menu which displays "conecting please do not disconnect".

On my PC this operation is not a problem.

Could this be a MPEG2 issue?

Will it solve itself if I purchase Quicktime Pro (which has MPEG2 decoder built in)?

I need some assistance in making the connection.

Help!

Best regards

Avi

C

chas_m

Hi and welcome!

Yes, the problem is your Sony camera. MPEG-2 is not a standard editing format, so iMovie does not accept it. QuickTime Pro does NOT have the MPEG-2 component built in -- that's a separate purchase ($30) but does not require QT Pro (in other words, you can buy JUST the MPEG-2 component and forget about the pro part).

What will work is to buy the MPEG-2 component, then get the free MPEG Streamclip program. It will read, view and convert your MPEG-2 files into something iMovie can use -- you want to save them as DV format for best quality (be aware that DV files take up a LOT of space).

PS. A Mac is short for "Macintosh." It's not an acronym, thus it should not be capitalised.

To put it another way:
mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Ditto for iPod. :)

OP
A
Reaction score
chas_m

Thanks for information - really useful. Will try that method asap. One further query - if I convert a 2mb file (in mpg format) what size will it be in dv?

Thanks

Avi

PS thank you correcting me on the use of the word Mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.