Novice help please with iWeb - Free - Web-hosting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
Hi Experts.

I have an iMac with iWeb & im looking to create my own personal web page & blog using iWeb, like you do. :)

My question is; is there a free alternative to using "Mobile me" for displaying my web/blog page on the web? ie Free web-hosting facility. or am i better paying a subscription for "Mobile me".

Thx for any help :D

Keith.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
iWeb im sure only works with a subscription to mobile.me ......
There are free blog sites but iWeb and mobile me work in unison with each other.
If you use or blog quite a bit, it could well be worth the subscription

Cheers

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
Hi Mate..

On the drop down bar on iWeb its give alternatives:-

1) FTP server, which I assume is an alternative web hosting facility?
2) Local folder, which im assuming is your local computer/network?

So my question is regards FTP -= Web-hosting , are there free good ones?

I am only posting my web page & blog... nothing more.

K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
iWeb will work with 3rd party hosting sites, but you will loose some functionality (there are certain plugins in iWeb that only work through mobileme - I don't know what they are off hand, but if you do a search online I'm sure you'll find which features don't work) - you'll want to check what you loose to make sure you don't loose the blogging aspect since I really don't know how iWeb blogging works.

in terms of free web hosting - that I can't answer - I pay for my domain hosting. There may be some quality free hosting providers now, but in the past they have been swarmed with ads forced onto ones page and that's just not something I like... plus usually free hosting doesn't provide as many extra services as paid hosting does (domain name hosting, email, database/php support, advanced scripting and logging, etc.)

Reaction score
You're not going to find any good, free webhosts that will allow you to upload your iWeb site. Look into a service like blogger of Wordpress if you want something free.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
Thanks guys for getting back to me. I guess I'm better paying £59 per annum with"Mobile Me"...

Thx again.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You're not going to find any good, free webhosts that will allow you to upload your iWeb site.
Not so. You can publish your iWeb page to a folder and simply upload that. If you have iWeb 09, follow the steps in 2.3 here.

Reaction score
Not so. You can publish your iWeb page to a folder and simply upload that. If you have iWeb 09, follow the steps in 2.3 here.

What does this have to do with the issue of free hosting? You still have to host the folder somewhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.