iPhoto picture clarity?

Reaction score
Not too good with photography, but why would it be that the clarity of a photo imported from my digi camera looks much better in Preview than it does in iPhoto.
Hope that makes sense!

Neil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Could depend on how you are looking at it in iPhoto - how does it compare if u select it in iPhoto then click Edit?

OP
N
Reaction score
Collin,
Looks better. But why? Is it just a quirk of iPhoto? I thought there may be something wrong with my camera.

Neil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
I believe, but could be wrong, that when you simply look at the photos in an event in iPhoto, you are looking at the thumbnail. When you click on it to edit the photo, you are looking at the full size photo. Probably Preview is looking at the full size photo from the get-go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Apple has provided a lot of flexibility with iPhoto - you can even edit, crop and change a photo but still have the ability to go back to original - of course the cost is using a bit more storage but certainly being able to revert after changing Exp, Hue, Sat, etc is a great deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I haven't checked this as I'm not at my mac right now but could it be that iPhoto shows image 'to fit' whereas preview and iPhoto edit show full size?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not too good with photography, but why would it be that the clarity of a photo imported from my digi camera looks much better in Preview than it does in iPhoto.
Hope that makes sense!

Neil

It could be the resolution of the photo when taken...and if the window the photo is in is enlarged beyond the point where the original resolution of the photo can't maintain the detail.

In other words...if you're enlarging the photo on your computers display too much...you will lose detail.

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.
The more I think about it, the more I think my camera has a fault.
When I compare photos taken some months ago with the ones I think are not so good (the more recent ones), the difference is obvious.

Perhaps I should just ask, "what is the best camera for occasional usage?" And go get that. I don't need anything fancy. Just something that takes good, all-round pics.

Neil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thanks for all the replies.
The more I think about it, the more I think my camera has a fault.
When I compare photos taken some months ago with the ones I think are not so good (the more recent ones), the difference is obvious.

Perhaps I should just ask, "what is the best camera for occasional usage?" And go get that. I don't need anything fancy. Just something that takes good, all-round pics.

Neil

Try checking your camera settings first. You might have changed the resolution from say' Fine' to 'pretty awful'.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.