I bought a WD My Passport 500gb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
Tattoo suggested I buy this brand due to the fact that he has one and didn't have any problems with it. I researched it and decided I'd give it a try so I went to Wal-Mart and bought it. I have no problems with it so far but I also read that a lot of people have problems with this brand. Hopefully I won't be one of those people.
As soon as I plugged the usb cord into the mac Time Machine ran and I decided to do a backup. I noticed that my music/movies were not part of the backup and I'm backing that up now. To get to more serious matters, I just bought my sister a netbook(well a HP Mini) for $300. I wonder if I will be able to just drag my music and movies onto her system?

Reaction score
Yes. You can drag them over, though, the validity of that statement oughta be proven first, so try it.

I'm using a WD Passport 250GB for Time Machine backups on a Mac mini. So far, no problems, though I know I should disconnect after I backup the system, because I leave my mini on 24/7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Yeah I've got a 1TB my book....it's good so far but I also had a My Book Pro 500gb crap out on me. They aren't perfect that's for sure...I have a LaCie D2 Quadra 1tb as my Time Machine backup for my iMac and use the MyBook for my AppleTV media.

I have decided as of this afternoon that I'll only plug in my WD to the ATV when I want to watch movies...leaving any external on 24/7 is bad and with my WD experience, I'll err on the side of caution.

OP
p3ezi(moto)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
yeah i cant keep nothing on for that long anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
C

chas_m

I have found that WD's (or at least the "My Book" series) work best when they are either laid horizontally or (better yet) used vertically but raised up a little to allow airflow underneath. Since I started doing that, no problems.

Reaction score
Tattoo suggested I buy this brand due to the fact that he has one and didn't have any problems with it. I researched it and decided I'd give it a try so I went to Wal-Mart and bought it. I have no problems with it so far but I also read that a lot of people have problems with this brand. Hopefully I won't be one of those people.
As soon as I plugged the usb cord into the mac Time Machine ran and I decided to do a backup. I noticed that my music/movies were not part of the backup and I'm backing that up now. To get to more serious matters, I just bought my sister a netbook(well a HP Mini) for $300. I wonder if I will be able to just drag my music and movies onto her system?

Hi..I got the exact same drive as you yesterday to bring some stuff from my windows PC to my mac and to transfer some stuff from my mac to my window PC.

Before i started, I formatted the WD drive to FAT. This was the advice from applecare as I have used external hard drives before that are not 'backward' compatible between machines unless you format to FAT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I bought a the exact drive last week too. Love the size of it, just a shame you need to carry around a USB cable with you too but its not too bad.

I reformatted the drive in Disk Utility to FAT32 and no joke it took 7 hours to transfer 379Gb of data. :eek: Had to use FAT32 at I'm using a Windows laptop whilst I'm waiting on this MBP coming...

Transfer speeds are rediculous even in Windows although, I'm hoping when I reformat it to HFS+ it will speed up again or it will be going back to the store to get replaced.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.