Help! Macbook or Macbook Pro? (13'')

Reaction score
Priorities:

1: The way HD video looks on screen (Smoothness, Brightness, Clarity)
2: Price (PC Basically died. I don't want to buy another one and my budget is very limited. However, I need to know if the extra 200 bucks on a pro is worth it)
3: Durability and Lifespan
4: Size and weight (preferably super light, but not crucial)
5: Exterior Styling

Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
1. They have the same screen.

2. Price is $200 more for the Pro. I bought a refurbished pro with the same specs. for the same price as a new Macbook

3. Durability and lifespan should be the same. Maybe a bit longer with the Pro, since it can use the aluminum case as a heatsink.

4. Size and weight are the same; the Pro is maybe a tiny bit slimmer.

5. This is a matter of taste. Do you prefer white plastic or bead blasted aluminum?

I went with the Pro mostly because it has a backlit keyboard and firewire jack and the basic Macbook doesn't.

Here's the refurbished Macbook page:
MacBook Pro - Apple Store (U.S.)

A refurbished, new style Macbook is $850, when they're in stock.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ahh...the old MacBook vs. MacBook Pro "Which should I buy" thread!;)

Maybe we should group these into one thread like the official "I spilled liquid on my laptop" thread!;):)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
If you use your notebook in the dark a lot, get the MBP.

The backlit keyboard is worth the 200 dollars. The MBP is also slightly lighter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I'd hold out for a refurb 13" MBP on the Apple site. It's odd that there aren't any at the moment, but if you keep checking, they'll show up. If you keep checking, you'll find a MBP for close to the regular price of a MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.3ghz Core i5 MBP, 2G 8gb iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy S
I'm also having the same debate at the moment. I keep thinking MB, but I also love the idea of having a backlit keyboard and also the ability to expand the RAM up to 8GB on the MBP. Hmmm....decisions decisions.

Reaction score
I just saw they have the refurb 13"MBP back up at the apple store.

I'm in the same situation, have to decide between the MB and MBP. Sitting here typing this in poor light makes me want the backlit keyboard and the firewire port is necessary for my video camera so I suppose my decision is easy.

There is lots of talk about the MBP updates coming and I don't know wether to wait and see what comes out. It might not effect the 13" units anyhow but we won't know for sure until they come out.

The only downside to the MBP is that the hd is only 160gb where the MB is 250gb...but the hd can be upgraded later.

I plan to wait until next month and if there are no updates anounced I'll buy the current model 13" MBP

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Ahh...the old MacBook vs. MacBook Pro "Which should I buy" thread!;)

Maybe we should group these into one thread like the official "I spilled liquid on my laptop" thread!;):)

Lets beat the dead horse some more! Oh wait is horse carcass still even there? :p

It probably needs it's own thread that is stickied. Even then we will probably still get post on this topic.

Yes the 200 dollar is worth it. If you care about cosmetic looks, and need the additional hardware. Such as SD, Firewire, Back lit keyboard, audio in, and audio out.

If you want to save money then just get a refurbished MBP. They are practically brand new and come with the same warranty as a new machine.

A MB has practically the same specifications as the lower end MBPs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Lets beat the dead horse some more! Oh wait is horse carcass still even there? :p

It probably needs it's own thread that is stickied. Even then we will probably still get post on this topic.

Yes the 200 dollar is worth it. If you care about cosmetic looks, and need the additional hardware. Such as SD, Firewire, Back lit keyboard, audio in, and audio out.

If you want to save money then just get a refurbished MBP. They are practically brand new and come with the same warranty as a new machine.

A MB has practically the same specifications as the lower end MBPs.

Couldn't agree more!

Go with the MBP IF you can truly afford the extra $200. However, hardware wise I don't think you'll need anything more than a macbook. By the sounds of it you won't even push that machine to half it's limits. But for so little the MBP simply gives so many more advantages.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.