uneven brightness on late 2009 imac

Reaction score
I just switched from a pc to a late 09 imac. I love it, but the brightness isn't even across the whole screen. There's a bit of a darker spot on the middle right side of the screen. It's not normally noticeable, but I thought one of the improvements to the new imac was a better screen.

It's not as bad as the imacs in the comp lab at my university. They have darker vertical stripes across the whole screen. is this normal?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, it's not normal. Try hooking an external monitor to your iMac to see if the same problem shows up on the external. If it does, it may be graphics related. If it doesn't, then it might be a display defect with the iMac.

You'll need an adapter to hook an external monitor to your iMac. Also, if you don't have an external that you can use, a TV can be used instead.

If your machine is a late 2009 iMac, it's still under warranty.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
well I called apple. Probably not a good idea since they can't see what I'm talking about. I can't drive, so I can't exactly trundle on over to the nearest apple store at my nearest convenience. :|

OP
E
Reaction score
On closer inspection, my problem is the "yellow tint" thing everyone's talking about. Can I take this to an apple store and have it repaired or replaced even though I bought it off Amazon?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your iMac is under warranty, it doesn't matter where you bought it. Take it on in to the nearest Apple store or Apple authorized repair center. Before taking it in to an Apple store, call and make an appointment first.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.