InDesign & Styles keyboard shortcuts on a MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hi

I've recently migrated to a laptop and the flexibility of working from anywhere is liberating, but just found what I think is a shortcoming.

In InDesign one can only assign Paragraph Style keyboard shortcuts using the NumPad keys, and of course there are none on the MacBook. It's fine at home as I'm using a full keyboard, but not so much fun on the road as having to zip back and forth between text and the style window is a pain.

Does anyone know of a way around this? And please don't suggest lugging the keyboard around as well :D

Cheers
Del

Reaction score
it is possible to re-map keyboard short cuts in InDesign, I have done so in the past. or is this what you mean by assign?

Ellis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
If you hold down the 'Fn' key you maybe able to use the number pad on the right hand side of the keyboard (keys: M,J,K,L,U,I,O,7,8,9).

i.e. Fn+M = 0

OP
D
Reaction score
it is possible to re-map keyboard short cuts in InDesign, I have done so in the past. or is this what you mean by assign?

Ellis

Hi Ellis, thanks for responding. Yes, one can re-assign the keys for many functions using the Edit>Keyboard shortcuts, but as far as I can see there is no way to assign any keys other than the NumPad ones to style sheets. Having now done a bit of a webtrawl it seems this is a documented complaint since Apple decided to knock out the NumLock and NumPad options from the latest generation of MBPs. So, it seems that this option is not available to laptop users, unless Adobe supply a patch at some point.

OP
D
Reaction score
If you hold down the 'Fn' key you maybe able to use the number pad on the right hand side of the keyboard (keys: M,J,K,L,U,I,O,7,8,9).

i.e. Fn+M = 0

Hi Marty, this is something that isn't available on the latest MacBook Pros, unfortunately.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.