• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A New Old Guy Here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
... I mean new, like in green; Switching from PC to Mac, and will need all the help I can get from you young experts here... my new 24" iMac is on its way, should arrive Feb 8... a young friend volunteered to make a house call to help me with the transfer from my PC to my Mac. Any advance warnings and advice are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Pete (The Oldfella)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Welcome to the forums and to the world of Macs.
There are a couple of things I can think of that will help make the switch a little smoother. Both are from Apple's website.

My Mac Cheat Sheet
AND Apple - Support - Mac 101

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
Old dude here as well.... :)

This site may be of use to use as well. I just switched this past December. You will quickly find you have less headaches, and quality of life will be better!

MacMundi

Good luck and have fun!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
... I mean new, like in green; Switching from PC to Mac, and will need all the help I can get from you young experts here... my new 24" iMac is on its way, should arrive Feb 8... a young friend volunteered to make a house call to help me with the transfer from my PC to my Mac. Any advance warnings and advice are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Pete (The Oldfella)

I'm not sure what sort of experience you have had with the Mac OS...but one mistake to avoid is...don't expect everything with the Mac OS to be the same as on the Windows OS.

Don't think..."I used to do it this way in Windows...why can't I do it the same way on a Mac!!!" Some things will be similar, some things will be "sort of" similar, and some things won't. Just go into it with an open mind.

Congrats on your new iMac computer purchase,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
A warm welcome from another "Old Fella". There are a few of us here, although some won't admit to it! :Evil:

That MacMundi site is a beauty, and I shall be referring some of the young bloods with 'basics' questions to it. Why, I might even learn a few more things from it myself. :Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
And then this may be worth a look - welcome.

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Thanks for your replies, folks... I think I may have started this thread in the wrong place. I think I'll need help on navigating this board, as I am not getting email notices on your replies. Where do I go, what button do I need to push to get email notices of new posts? Thanks.

Pete (The Oldfella)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Go to top of the page and look for 'Thread Tools' in between LINKBACK and SEARCH THIS THREAD.
Click on it then down to "subscribe to this Thread"

Welcome aboard oldfella ........

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Go to top of the page and look for 'Thread Tools' in between LINKBACK and SEARCH THIS THREAD.
Click on it then down to "subscribe to this Thread"

Welcome aboard oldfella ........

Thanks much.

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
For your transfer this Cable may be of interest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Welcome, Pete!

If you've got enough time on your hands, explore the Mac Help information (under your Help Menu). There's a lot in there, but there are more complete printed manuals at your local bookstore as well. The Mac OS _____ for Dummies series is for users who are new to Macintosh. It's light reading, and covers all the basics, and some "intermediate" stuff.

(Fill in the blank with your "cat's" name, Snow Leopard. I have the previous edition, because I jumped over all the earlier versions of OSX.)

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Great bits of information, much appreciated, folks... I'm already learning from your posts.

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Welcome oldfella! Everyone has given some great advice, so I'll just come by to tell you that I will see you on the boards and give you the best of luck with your new experiences in OS X. You will receive a lot of help here on just about anything, so you're in good hands :)

See you around old fella!

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Thank you sir. FYI - I received my new iMac yesterday evening. I shall start the unpacking and assembly, but will have to wait till Monday night for a young feller to come by to assist me with the transfer from my PC to the iMac. I'll keep y'all informed of my progress.

Pete (The Oldfella)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Welcome Pete

bobtomay (the old senile guy)

Reaction score
Welcome oldfella. Just play with it everyday, be patience and you will be rewarded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
You might want to pick up the book "Missing manual, Mac osx". I found this to be of great value as well. You can find it on Amazon.com.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.