• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Cant view .mov files

Reaction score
Im on Mac OSX 10.6.2 snow leopard, the quick time player on this version was rushed out in time for its release so its missing loads of options... its crap, anyway i cant view .mov videos. There is sound but no picture, i downloaded the latest version of vlc player too and i still cant view the video.

Can anyone help out?

C

chas_m

So you can HEAR the videos but not SEE them on either QuickTime Player or VLC, is that correct?

If so, you can "get info" on the movie (in either program) and see what the troublesome video codec is that's giving you a problem. Despite the .mov extension, you can actually put just about any video or audio codec in a "quicktime movie" file, including ones that don't play on Macs because they were created using oddball Windows codecs!

If you haven't already, download and install Perian and Windows Media Components for QuickTime. That will likely solve the problem.

OP
S
Reaction score
So you can HEAR the videos but not SEE them on either QuickTime Player or VLC, is that correct?

If so, you can "get info" on the movie (in either program) and see what the troublesome video codec is that's giving you a problem. Despite the .mov extension, you can actually put just about any video or audio codec in a "quicktime movie" file, including ones that don't play on Macs because they were created using oddball Windows codecs!

If you haven't already, download and install Perian and Windows Media Components for QuickTime. That will likely solve the problem.

Thanks for the info but it didnt work, i downloaded both of the above and still the same, the codecs for the videos are IMA 4:1, Sorenson Video 3

anyone any ideas?

OP
S
Reaction score
if the codecs being used are t IMA 4:1, Sorenson Video 3
what can i do to get these videos to work ?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Both of those are supported natively in Quicktime and have been for a long time.

If the files play neither in Quicktime nor in VLC, I would have to suspect the files.

OP
S
Reaction score
Both of those are supported natively in Quicktime and have been for a long time.

If the files play neither in Quicktime nor in VLC, I would have to suspect the files.

Yes but not in the new version of quicktime on snow leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
MOV files can be a big problem as they do not contain any data to define whether they are 4 x 3 or widescreen and they don't have a standard audio format. This information is in a separate text file associated with each MOV file. The result is they rarely play properly.

I have tried many format converters without 100% success and the only reliable player is VLC - but that doesn't help if you want to use the MOV files in editing software. The solution is don't just copy MOV files from camera to computer. Plug your camera into the computer and run iMovie. Use the File>capture from camera option and all you MOV files will be copied to your computer as MOV files which then play properly with the correct aspect ratio and sound in Quicktime and other media players.

Works with my JVC camera so I guess all other MOV type camera will work as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.