Only getting 128Gb from 200Gb on G3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM
my friend recently installed a new hard drive in to *** G3 powermac.its a 200Gb Maxtor hard drive and it is a slave to the internal 20Gb drive he has. we put it in last nite and initizlied the drive, so it came up and looks fine, except the fact that it is saying its capacity is only 128Gb !!!, when in fact he bought it brand new and it is a 200Gb.

Does any1 know what could be wrong ?? :eek:neye:

P.s My G5 powermac is being sent back to apple :eek:neye: , yes it is dead :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
robbiemullen said:
my friend recently installed a new hard drive in to *** G3 powermac.its a 200Gb Maxtor hard drive and it is a slave to the internal 20Gb drive he has. we put it in last nite and initizlied the drive, so it came up and looks fine, except the fact that it is saying its capacity is only 128Gb !!!, when in fact he bought it brand new and it is a 200Gb.

Does any1 know what could be wrong ?? :eek:neye:

P.s My G5 powermac is being sent back to apple :eek:neye: , yes it is dead :eek:neye:

is your friend running OS X or 9.x?

sorry about the G5! :eek:neye:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe the problem is the disk controller on your friends G3. It is limiting you to seeing only 128gb. If you partition your disk you can get around I believe.

B

Badger

The controller in the G3 models only recognizes 128 gbs in a volume. Try partitioning the HD, two partitions of 100 each or 120-80.

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM
yeah hes running Os 9.1. we tryed 2 partitions but it still says 128Gb

started to dig the hole for my G5.got the head stone made today :eek:neye:

B

Badger

robbiemullen said:
yeah hes running Os 9.1. we tryed 2 partitions but it still says 128Gb

Hmm...that's unusual. As long as the partitions are smaller than 128 gb it should work. (I usually go about 10% below the limit, around 110 or 115.) The other way to do it is get an add-on PCI controller card and run the HD from that. You'll get around the size limit and you'll get better performance. The controller on the card will be faster than the internal controller.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.