• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What was the last awesome sci fi movie you saw recently!!!

Reaction score
I been wanting to catch up on some great sci-fi movies. I just saw Avatar (3 times) and Star Trek The movie...These two were awesome. Anyone got any suggestion for another good one (Doesn't matter how old if it's good it's good)?:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
How recent are we talking? Movies still in theaters? Recently released on DVD? Six months? A year?

F

fade

Serenity... yes, I realize it came out in 2005 and that I'm waaaaay behind the times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Heavy Metal!!!!!!!!!

OP
C
Reaction score
Really any awesome movie you seen, because sci-fi is always good. I just remember a movie called Contact with Jena Malone. It was a fairly decent 1997 movie when i first watch it and i just might watch it again tonight.:)

Hey, JUKE179r I'm guessing you are talking about the animated film right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I know this isn't recent (1984) but one in my DVD collection is The Last Starfighter. Always been one of my faves! (Netflix has it - DVD or Blu-ray)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Some more I just thought of...

Flight of the Navigator
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (you either love it or hate it)
I, Robot
5th Element
The Island (Ewan McGregor, Scarlett Johansson)

Is X-Men Origins, Wolverine considered "sci-fi"? I know it's from Marvel Comics, but....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
District 9, that's the most recent new Sci-Fi, but also Stargate Ultimate Edition. Utterly brilliant film.

OP
C
Reaction score
I just saw the trailer on youtube for the Last Starfighter and it looks like a pretty good movie. I might have to check it out. Wow all those movies you guys posted up are pretty much some of my favorite. 5th Element is amazing and hilarious. District 9 was great in it own genre and Stargate i need to check out too. Has anyone seen The Abyss by James Cameron? I saw the trailer but not sure if its worth watching.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
I've seen all the recents but my favorites are oldies. Blade Runner and who could forget Freejack? Both from 1982.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
District 9 was pretty good, if a little campy. What good sci-fi flick isn't campy, though?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
"Moon" was a great flick.
One of the best movies I have seen in recent years, period.

It's out on DVD now, so you should go and rent it... or just buy it, it's that good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
My friend just gave me a copy of Moon to check out, so I'm probably going to do that this weekend..

The only "new" sci-fi movie I liked was District 9..

Others I've seen recently: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Sunshine, and Tron (idk if you consider this scifi, I do)

EDIT: Can't forget Running Man and Total Recall!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I just saw the trailer on youtube for the Last Starfighter and it looks like a pretty good movie. I might have to check it out. Wow all those movies you guys posted up are pretty much some of my favorite. 5th Element is amazing and hilarious. District 9 was great in it own genre and Stargate i need to check out too. Has anyone seen The Abyss by James Cameron? I saw the trailer but not sure if its worth watching.

The Abyss is one of the greatest Sci Fi movies ever made, but make sure you see the extended version, which is much better, even though the original is still awesome!
I can't wait for the Blu Ray to appear.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.