G5 DVD Burner Replacement

Reaction score
I want to know where you can connect SATA cables[Power & Data]. to install new Burner on Power Mac G5 1.8

The G5 is one of the early models.

I see 2 connections on the motherboard, but the two hard drives take them up.... are there any work arounds...?

Can I buy a card that has these connections on them... ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need an IDE type internal burner for your G5, not SATA. I'm not familiar with the inside of the G5 but there should be an IDE connector for the drive. Did you look to see how the old one was connected? Or you can buy an external drive and hook it up via firewire or USB. Firewire would be a better choice since you can't boot from a USB device with your G5.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I want to know where you can connect SATA cables[Power & Data]. to install new Burner on Power Mac G5 1.8

The title of your thread says, "G5 DVD Burner Replacement".

If your project is to "replace" your G5's DVD burner...why not just use all of the wiring/connections from the DVD burner you need to remove?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Inside your Power Mac G5 and https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do
I seem to remember reading a thread on another forum about how tricky it can be to get the optical drive out, and then a replacement back in. It's pretty tight in there, and there are buffer pads to watch out for, and so on. chscag's suggestion of an external firewire drive enclosure might become more appealing once you're taken a look.

I *think* you'll find, as Nick points out, that there is an ATA (IDAE) connector on the end of a flat ribbon cable plugged into the back of the optical drive. Beside it will be a power supply plug (5v). You need to remove both of those before trying to get the old drive out.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not very difficult to replace a DVD driver in a Powermac G5....in fact some folks may even describe it as easy.:)

Here's a photo (below) of my dual 1.8ghz G5 Powermac. To remove the DVD drive you:

- flip the two grey plastic latches at the bottom of the DVD drive
- slide the drive out as far as possible...giving you great access to the data & power cables
- disconnect the data & power cables from the back of the DVD drive.
- remove the drive (easy):)

- Nick

DSCN1361.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Replace Optical Drive

- remove the drive (easy):)

Must have been a different G5, maybe the Mac Pro, I read about then ;).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Must have been a different G5, maybe the Mac Pro, I read about then ;).

I could check with my Mac Pro as well...but I'm using it currently...and don't want to open it up while it's running!;)

But yes...with all of the different Powermac G5 models...there certainly could be differences...especially when you're talking the dual-processor vs. the later dual/quad-core models.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As easy as pie changing optical in all G5 Towers. Maybe hughvane is referring to the G5 iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe hughvane is referring to the G5 iMac?

No, it was either a G5 or Pro tower machine, and the thread was on MacOSXHints, but it was early last year and I can't find it. No matter, I am corrected, and happy to be so :).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it was either a G5 or Pro tower machine, and the thread was on MacOSXHints, but it was early last year and I can't find it. No matter, I am corrected, and happy to be so :).

No problems...maybe you had too much L&P or pavlova today!;)

- Nick

big_1218.jpg
pavlova1.jpg

OP
K
Reaction score
DVD Issue

I want to thank all of you for your comments re: DVD replacement on my old G5.......
I have replaced the DVD twice in the past... and Yes I know it is connected with the IDE connector.... (Thanks for the great photo of unit by the way Pigoo3...)
I have a nice Sony optiarc drive I would like to use...and would like to set it up with a SATA connection.... but alas.... no more then 2 connections exist...and they are being used.... I was wondering if they have a plug in type card such as one that is used for USB & Firewire hubs..... so I CAN use a SATA cable...... If not I will have to make a external housing and use firewire....

Thanks all, for your prompt replies....Kevin R

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you are determined to put a SATA optical drive in, consider a PCI, PCI-X or PCI-E depending on your model G5 which you did not provide, SATA Controller Card with internal ports. Not cheap and a 20X Pioneer DL IDE drive, which is about $40.00, will do the job as well and Pioneer are recognised as native by G5s.

Here is one such card:-

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet Technology/TSATA/

OP
K
Reaction score
DVD Issue Solution

Thanks for all the comments......I decided it was more cost effective all around..... to order a IDE burner and go with it..... the sata burner will have sit and wait for a machine that I can use it in....... KevinR

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.