• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Decisions and dollars and quality

E

Ex_PC_Puke

This thread is about iBooks and Powerbooks both - so I'm posting it here rather than double posting in those 2 areas.

I'm really wanting to get a 12" Apple laptop for school and to complement my mini at home (will set up a wireless network as we have DSL)

But I have to say I'm a bit alarmed after going to the Apple site and looking at the support forums for these two products --- Biggest concern I see is a lot of display problems (white spots / flickering) on the G4 iBooks - there were a fair number of people having problems. There seemed to be fewer problems of this type in the Powerbook forum.

Is the Powerbook THAT much more rugged product with the aluminum construction vs the plastic ??? Or is Apple just using lower cost / quality parts on the iBook just to save $$$

With the student discount there's about $300 delta here - which means I could buy an iBook with the extended warranty or just buy the Powerbook and hope for the best.

Have there been any recent notices on either improvements to either products - or recall / service actions listed by Apple ?????

THANKS for your comments or reports of your experiences on these products before I proceed !!

OP
B

Brigrat

As I recall, the displays on the iBook, and PowerBook are different. The PB has a better display, however; I don't think the spotting issue is as much related to screen quality as it is anomalees with a partcular screen. The PB's feel like they are higher quality, and fit and finish is much better than on the iBook.

That being said, My brother has a 12"iBook, and when we are together, there is no noticbable difference in computing quality between his iBook, and my PB. If money is an issue, and the extra processing speed, and video memory isn't a big issue for you, then go with the iBook. If you think you might need something with a little more power and style, the PB is for you. If your mini meets you needs at home, then I see no reason to go with a PB for the road.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I have heard of problems with the iBook's screen, and also i have heard that Apple replace them w/o problem, but this is not an iBook problem, you can see this in any product with LCD displays.
You said you want a complement for your mini, IMHO a Powerbook is the complete deal, almost as powerfull as a desktop and portable, so it costs more. The iBook on the other hand is more a complement of a more powerfull machine that can't move. My opinion get the iBook and if you still hink you need it get the extended warranty later (i understand that is possible).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.