• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Will Apple one day take back the market share from Microsoft?

Reaction score
Anyone still remember the old school Apple computer?

I remember using an Apple computer when i was in 2nd grade and i was playing an African Safari Adventure game of some sort. It was awesome. What was your first experience with an Apple computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Join up and trying to start yet another flame war?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
No i dont and dont particularly want them too !!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Apple holds 5-10% marketshare, I would say it's not going to happen anytime soon, and nor should it. Apple has a really good thing going right now and having it become too big and appeasing huge swaths of people will compromise what makes Apple great.

Also, if you're deliberately trying to start a flame war, then you're better off going to a different forum because you're gonna get the ban hammer the moment it's suspected that you're trying to incite a flame war.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
An idea just occurred to me when will Apple be back on top. Microsoft and the PC has been reigning for decades now and it seem that Apple is beginning to push to the top.

With something like 5% worldwide marketshare, I don't think there's going to be any threat to Microsoft's dominance any time soon. Heck, Linux is completely free and it has yet to break 2% or so. Not that it matters.

I love the PC but I have so many people tell me that Apple are so much more reliable and better. What do you think guys?

If you're happy with your PC and it does what you need, why do you care?

What is your take on the future of computers and who will be number one?

Does it matter? Apple's stated goal is to build the best computing experience they know how, not to dominate in marketshare. If quality was directly related to marketshare, then Toyota would make the world's best car and McDonald's would make the world's best hamburger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
it's just like MacDonalds and your favourite 3 star restaurant. Maccas will serve it's low budget food to the masses and the restaurant serves high quality cuisine to a small select few. And it's the same here. Microsoft can sell it's low quality software to the masses and Apple will sell it's software to the smart select few.

But hardware is another issue. There are quite a few PC hardware manufacturers. Apple, Dell, HP, compaq etc. The list goes on. Only the Apple PCs can run OS X though. So it makes them different to the rest. But it's not just Apple vs other PCs. It's Apple vs Dell vs compaq vs HP etc. So if one PC maker goes down the crapper, another will take it's place.

OP
C
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't mean to make it seem like i was trying to start a flame war... It just seem like an interesting topic to talk about and i wanted to see what other people opinions are. Please do give me a heads up if this topic is getting close to any boundary that i shouldn't be crossing and i would kindly remove the post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Sorry, I didn't mean to make it seem like i was trying to start a flame war... It just seem like an interesting topic to talk about and i wanted to see what other people opinions are. Please do give me a heads up if this topic is getting close to any boundary that i shouldn't be crossing and i would kindly remove the post.

I disagree , I think that you did join to go on a little trolling expedition .

Clay

Reaction score
An idea just occurred to me when will Apple be back on top. Microsoft and the PC has been reigning for decades now and it seem that Apple is beginning to push to the top. I love the PC but I have so many people tell me that Apple are so much more reliable and better. What do you think guys? What is your take on the future of computers and who will be number one?

I know, be equally biased on this forum...

And in interest to avoid a war here....

My prediction is:

Since Apple has dominated the smartphone industry, the music industry, and now possibly a cross-market of eReaders and tablets, it's possible that Mac OS X may eventually overtake Windows. Windows 7 is okay, it's not perfect (name a version of Windows that was, then again, name an OS that ever was...OS X is closer to perfect than most others anyways...just my opinion), but what's next? If Apple believes the file system should be hidden away (hello iPad!), and that sells- what's next for Windows? A freaking marketing disaster? However, it is my belief that Windows should stay on top- Apple has a real good thing going- why kill it?

It is also my belief that if computing (whether it's mobile or desktop) goes the way of iPad, which to me is a selling point, the file system should only be accessed by IT departments, and advanced users through means of root, sort of like built in jailbreaking. It may sound complex, but it could work for most people.

-and an extension to the IT access, server systems would still have to use the current method of computing- file systems, CLI, etc. to manage these user-friendly no file system (that's accessible anyway), no CLI access user interfaces. And it sounds like a great idea- if the industry follows through, which I'm doubting will happen. Still...anything can happen, anything is possible.

Reaction score
microsoft, apple, blah, blah, blah

switch to open source operating systems! the pc is great but it is limitted as far as development goes, apple is way to expensive and all it is is a tweeked unix system anyway.

linux is the future and its free. it has support for the ntfs file system, and can even run windows programes. It also looks like the apple desktop unless you like the KDE thing, i dont.

you want to have problems with your computer that can be fixed easily, but all the utilities are hiddeden? go microsoft. you wan to look cool at the coffee shop and hit on art girls? Then you gotta have a mac. but if you got a piece of junk laptop from a few years ago, get a linux system up and running and you can hack networks, "borrow" wifi from your neighbor and best of all, all aplications are free!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
switch to open source operating systems! the pc is great but it is limitted as far as development goes, apple is way to expensive and all it is is a tweeked unix system anyway.

linux is the future and its free. it has support for the ntfs file system, and can even run windows programes. It also looks like the apple desktop unless you like the KDE thing, i dont.

you want to have problems with your computer that can be fixed easily, but all the utilities are hiddeden? go microsoft. you wan to look cool at the coffee shop and hit on art girls? Then you gotta have a mac. but if you got a piece of junk laptop from a few years ago, get a linux system up and running and you can hack networks, "borrow" wifi from your neighbor and best of all, all aplications are free!

So use Linux and be a criminal. YEAH!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
no, linux is usually an open source <free> os. Perhaps i was a lil tipsy and decided to post some bs. I like the mac os fine. most programs that can exploit other systems can be made in linux. linux is way more stable than windows, so it makes for a good programing environment. I dont know to much about mac programing, but some of the commands are the same between mac and linux. i think mac comes with a programing thing called "emacs" and you can view the help file on this through the terminal.

Stealing is bad. that being said, u can get whatever u want for free easily with all the torrent sites out there. the only good thing that comes about through playing with programs such as ophcrack and aircrack-ng is that you realize how easy i is to get past microsoft security. That is one reason that i own a mac.

although i may have said some stupid stuff, I apologize and will stop drinking/posting, because i like this forum and dont want to **** you all off.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
no, linux is usually an open source <free> os. Perhaps i was a lil tipsy and decided to post some bs. I like the mac os fine. most programs that can exploit other systems can be made in linux. linux is way more stable than windows, so it makes for a good programing environment. I dont know to much about mac programing, but some of the commands are the same between mac and linux.

Do you mean the Terminal commands? If yes, that's because Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD, which is a UNIX-variant, much like Linux. Most of the commands are indeed the same. In fact, OS X uses BASH, which is a commonly used shell in most Linux distros.

Programming is completely different, since the primarily development language is Objective-C in OS X. Linux programming is as varied as the distros and UIs that are associated with it.

i think mac comes with a programing thing called "emacs" and you can view the help file on this through the terminal.

EMACS is a text editor, much like vi or pico.

Stealing is bad. that being said, u can get whatever u want for free easily with all the torrent sites out there. the only good thing that comes about through playing with programs such as ophcrack and aircrack-ng is that you realize how easy i is to get past microsoft security. That is one reason that i own a mac.

There are brute-force password cracking utilities for every platform. And if you're downloading pirated software from torrents, you're still stealing.

although i may have said some stupid stuff, I apologize and will stop drinking/posting, because i like this forum and dont want to **** you all off.

Enough said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
As I always say, not with their current business strategies. MS is big into offering products for large corporate businesses and governments. They also don't do hardware. Most of the computers that businesses use can be bought or leased with MS products on them for much, much less than the price of an Apple computer with OS. Unless Apple starts offering stuff like that or corporate solutions, then they're not going to get the market share.

Then again, they're doing just fine with their current business strategy.

Watching The Wrestler right now, so I'm not really paying attention to what I'm typing.

Reaction score
If Apple were Microsoft, they'd have viruses..

Kidding. Though I couldn't imagine the prices of Apple products if they owned the market share.

I like Apple where they're at. I know Microsoft fanboys always boast about the 90% (89% now) market share, but really, what does that matter in the grand scheme of things?

Apple is doing wonderful as a business. They also makes great product, so I'm sure we're all content.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.