Do Macs connect to Windows Server 2003?

Reaction score
At the office i have a Windows server 2003. I have read on snow leopard that it comes with built in support for Microsoft exchange server 2007. Does this mean i wont be able to connect to my companies server at all?

Its a Windows Server 2003 for small business server.

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It kind of depends on which functions you're using.

Out of the box, file sharing (Windows network drives) will work.

You will be able to check Exchange mail, view Exchange calendars, and use SharePoint sites in a limited way using Safari or Firefox (which do not work as well with Exchange or SharePoint as IE on Windows does.)

Realistically, will almost certainly need to buy Office 2008 if you're going to be working in a Windows environment. If you buy Office 2008 Business Edition, you will get better Exchange mail/calendar support (through Entourage) and better SharePoint support through the Document Connection app. It won't be the same level of compatibility as Outlook on Windows, but it could be enough. You can also run Office/Outlook 2007 in a VM when you have to.

You will not be able to use or Apple's Mail app or iCal effectively with Server 2003. (You might get basic Mail compatibility if your admin has enabled IMAP, but Entourage is a better bet.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
Like I said in your other thread, I use my MacBook Pro all day long at work, with 2003, 2003 R2, 2008 and 2008 R2 Windows Servers.

Don't confuse Windows Server 2003 with Exchange. They are/can be completely distinct from one another. Perhaps you are running Server 2003 Small Business, which comes with Exchange built in? I thought your other thread said you are using POP mail, so Exchange isn't a factor. If that's the case, your Mac will have no issues with Windows file shares, printers and remote desktop sessions. And any email client you choose will have no issues with POP mail.

p.s. @technologist, Mail and iCal works fine with Exchange 2007.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Perhaps you are running Server 2003 Small Business...
I think that likely, given that O.P. said:
Its a Windows Server 2003 for small business server.
;)

@technologist, Mail and iCal works fine with Exchange 2007.
Indeed, been using it for months, but we're both convinced that O.P is running SBS2003, which only includes Exchange 2003, so....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
I must have missed that. lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.