• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie on iBook, need help!!!

S

sursuciofla

Okay, I frequently use a G5 Powermac for this stuff (iMovie/iDVD), but on my iBook when I try to import the DV footage the signal drops and is already sluggish to begin with. It only goes for about 4 seconds. I would just use the G5 and be done but since I use it at work and the iBook at home I would like to be able to do some stuff there too. Would there be any way to make this program work so I can import or do I just have to import on the G5 and then work from there? or am I just SOL on the import part all together?

OP
S

sursuciofla

sursuciofla said:
Okay, I frequently use a G5 Powermac for this stuff (iMovie/iDVD), but on my iBook when I try to import the DV footage the signal drops and is already sluggish to begin with. It only goes for about 4 seconds. I would just use the G5 and be done but since I use it at work and the iBook at home I would like to be able to do some stuff there too. Would there be any way to make this program work so I can import or do I just have to import on the G5 and then work from there? or am I just SOL on the import part all together?

Okay, I figured it out. This is what the help file said:

"My imported video is missing frames or stops importing

If you have FileVault turned on in Mac OS X version, you may experience difficulties importing digital video. To work around this, move your iMovie HD project to a location outside your home folder while you are working with iMovie HD. A good location is the Shared folder, located in the Users folder on your hard disk."

I turned off file vault and it works like a charm. I will probably turn FileVault back on eventually and just use Shared folder like it suggests.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
Ahh, good ol' FileVault, causer of so many problems. You know, FileVault is the only bit of Apple developed software that I have any real complaints about. It's always eating disk space, or causing things to crash. Nuts to it, the average user will never need it anyway.

By the way, thank you for posting your fix. That's how people in the future can gain from your experience. To many people don't do follow up posts like that IMO.

-Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.