IMAC questions

Reaction score
Soooo Ill be getting My very first MAC ever. Am very excited. Iv been building systems forever
and final come to a conclusion that I may have MAC OS and Windows in one : )

Questions ?
1. once I have bootcamp , If I already have a copy of windows can I use it, Or do I need a special copy from MAC/

2.Can I run W7?

3.Once windows is running in Bootcamp. Will it use all the systems power? I only ask that because I know in VMware on windows the virtual machine almost never utilizes its full system power from the host.

4.Once windows is running on the IMAC and I have 8 Gigs. Im guessing I will need a 64bit windows OS to use that / correct?

This is the IMAC I want - QUAD CORE - 8Gigs RAM
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...co=MTAyNTQzNjA

Thanks in advance
these questions are nagging at my brain LOL

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Moved thread to appropriate forum - nothing to do with MacWorld 2010.

C

chas_m

Soooo Ill be getting My very first MAC ever. Am very excited. Iv been building systems forever
and final come to a conclusion that I may have MAC OS and Windows in one : )

Questions ?
1. once I have bootcamp , If I already have a copy of windows can I use it, Or do I need a special copy from MAC/

Sorry, gotta get this out of the way first:
A Mac is short for "Macintosh." It's not an acronym, thus it should not be capitalised.

To put it another way:
mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Ditto for iPod. :)

Okay, so to answer your first question, you probably have to get a new copy of Windows (not from Apple, they don't sell it). The reason is Microsoft's lovely "activation" -- once you've used a copy of Windows on one machine, you can't put it on another without permission from MS.

To answer your second question, yes you can use Windows 7. Apple just this month finally updated their drivers to make this officially supported. :)

3.Once windows is running in Bootcamp. Will it use all the systems power?

Yes. "Power" isn't really the right word there, but I know what you mean.

4.Once windows is running on the IMAC and I have 8 Gigs. Im guessing I will need a 64bit windows OS to use that / correct?

I don't know the correct answer to this question. 32-bit Mac OS X could use 8GB of RAM, so I see no reason why you would *have* to have 64-bit Windows to do the same, but I don't know this for a fact.

Congrats and enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You will need a 64bit version of Windows to access more than 3gb of RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.