SOS..my G5 is dead !!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM
:eek:neye: I have a G5 powermac 1.6Ghz with 17" apple display.yesterday my computer crashed while i was running limewire and safari.i held down the power button for 5 seconds so it would restart,and it did.I then restarted it from OSx, so it went into file vault and restarted,but it wouldnt come back on,so then again i held the power button for 5 seconds to restart it. the power status light just keeps blinking, so does the on the monitor. I know 2 blinks means you have no ram, and 3 means its the wrong type of ram, but mine keeps blinking,it doest stop.in the manual its says if its more than 5 or 6 call apple.i havnt installed any new hardware or anything like that.the screen is just blank when i power it up, and the two status lights (one on display,one on tower) just keep blinking.

....another thing if it running for 2mins, it sounds like that the system fans are speed up, it sounds like the machine is gonna explode !!!!!

Does anyone know anything i could do, besides ring apple as a last resort.

??? :eek:neye: :eek:neye: :eek:neye: :eek:neye: :eek:neye: :eek:neye: :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
you need to make that call to apple mate :(

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
robbiemullen....another thing if it running for 2mins said:
That's normal behaviour, if you don't tie it down it will eventually take off ;).

It sounds like one of several things: Bad logic board, unseated CPU, unseated or bad RAM, unseated or bad Video card.

My twin 2G G5 was crashing regularly with absolutely no indication in the logs or flashing lights or anything so I took it to the Apple doctor where it sat for 6 weeks with them poking around inside and not finding anything wrong.

When I got it back it was still doing it so in desparation I did a completely clean install of Tiger, i.e erased the HD and installed from scratch.

Since then it has been running as sweet as anything 24/7 with both CPUs maxed out and no failures.

I'm thinking that it had a bad HD sector which the reformat sorted out, the bad sector must have been sitting in the middle of the system swap space or something!

I would recommend you remove and reseat the RAM and Video card yourself and try it, if that doesn't fix it you need to find your nearest Apple repair shop and take it in, they can reseat the CPU and do some further tests.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
iFX said:
there are a lot of these complaints goin on for the g5 power pc

By far the flakiest are the twin G5's, both the 1.8G and 2G early models. I think that Apple by chasing the bleeding edge with high FSB rates and high CPU clock rates found problems matching up hardware in these beasts.

I'm assuming that the newer models don't suffer as badly but I may be wrong.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i've noticed my computer crashes alot when i'm using limewire...thats why i've stopped using it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.