• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problems importing viosport helmet cam video to iMovie - 09 and HD

Reaction score
I'm having real trouble working with the movie files (.avi) from my viosport helmet camera. I have some qu.s as I am trying to put together a video this weekend (some background info is below - please help if you can!):

1. Has anyone worked with the viosport camera videos and edited them successfully?

2. They are labelled as .avi, but are not visible to iMovie 09 (ver 8.0.5). All my other .avi clips have no problem like this - are these videos actually a different format but cloaked as avi?! does this make sense?...

3. iMovie HD was importing them OK, but on some large videos (29min, 672MB) now comes up with an unknown error and fails to import - why? This file had previously imported without a problem.

4. NTSC/PAL - The videos were recorded in PAL, but iMovie HD only opens a new project as NTSC. The 'video format' options when opening a new project does not give the options that the help file says it will (there is no mention of PAL/NTSC next to the various options, only 'DV, DV Widescreen,...'). Can I change it once a project is opened - immediately or with videos imported?

Background:
The videos are saved in iPhoto and open in good quality in Quicktime, but are not visible to iMovie 09 and cannot be imported by any of the normal means that I have tried (file/import, drag and drop,...). I have no prob with my other video files. I have tried opening in HD and exporting as quicktime but the file size increases by many times if done at best quality. Doing this can enable '09 to see the file, but rather than 600MB it would become many Gb! - with lots of clips this is unfeasible to make a video (and even the 'best quality' is not as good as the original!).

This is my first real attempt at compiling a movie - any assistance will be hugely appreciated!

OP
D
Reaction score
Partial success... NTSC changed to PAL

Ah ha! I watched this video:
YouTube - iMovie HD - Setting Up Proper Video Formats
It explained the difference (clearly) between NTSC and PAL. I changed the frame rate in preferences to 25fps and then opened a new project - the options still provided no choice between NTSC or PAL, but when it opened it was labelled as PAL.http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac_images/images/smilies/Smile.png

I have now started trying to import the previous file that failed unexpectedly... I'll post how it goes. I'm still really keen to hear if anyone has had experience with editing:) viosport videos.

OP
D
Reaction score
Still no luck...

It didn't work :0( - came up with the same error. I've attached a grab screenshot.

iMovie HD import probs.jpg

C

chas_m

All I can tell you is that AVI is NOT a format, it's a container, meaning your file could be using almost any combination of codecs.

See if it will work with MPEG Streamclip (free). If it does, you can easily convert it to DV (iMovie's favourite format) or MP4 (its second favourite).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.