Switched (sorta)

N

nickfear

I have a kick @ss XP based PC. I use all of it's power for browsing the net, reading emails, and loggin on to my Linux servers. I decided I wanted something cool for another room in my house, so the girlf could have a PC too. I didn't want big boxes or a CRT so I started looking at an LCD and a mac mini.

I liked it, but with the wireless configurations and the extras I wanted (and the fact I wanted around 20" of LCD!) made it get pricey........so I bought the iMac G5 (20"). I really really hope this was the right choice.....I never had a Mac.....

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe that you are going to happy with your purchase. After the sale of my house, I will be looking in to getting another powerbook or a iMac. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
nickfear said:
I have a kick @ss XP based PC. I use all of it's power for browsing the net, reading emails, and loggin on to my Linux servers. I decided I wanted something cool for another room in my house, so the girlf could have a PC too. I didn't want big boxes or a CRT so I started looking at an LCD and a mac mini.

I liked it, but with the wireless configurations and the extras I wanted (and the fact I wanted around 20" of LCD!) made it get pricey........so I bought the iMac G5 (20"). I really really hope this was the right choice.....I never had a Mac.....
Congradulations your guna be hooked on macs and you will want to buy another and then another....

OP
B

badmojo

rman said:
I believe that you are going to happy with your purchase. After the sale of my house, I will be looking in to getting another powerbook or a iMac. :)

Hey friend, I just switched too. I'm gonna be running side-by-side for awhile until I feel comfortable with the Mac. But I'm looking forward to less crashes, spyware, viruses, and a more "integrated" experience. I agree with the quoted poster and I'm looking forward to it.

And, hey, if you don't know something come back here. This is a great forum, and most posters here try to help "newbies" out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Congrats! I know you will love it! I have been totally delighted with my switch :alien:

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

I have a kick @ss XP based PC. I use all of it's power for browsing the net, reading emails, and loggin on to my Linux servers.

Dude ... you could do those activities on a Pentium III 1Ghz with a decent graphic card (i.e. my old PC).

Unless you're suffering from some extreme case of "GHz perversion" or "Tweak-phreak syndrome" .... relax chill out and get a mac. It does everything you need and does it well. With out all the maintenance overhead (MSFT updates <endless>, virus updates <endless>, spyware updates ....) and crappy MSFT applications. :biohazard

Trust me - I've spent more hours than I care to think about in meeting rooms at Intel where the topic of the day was .... how are we gonna use these GHz ?? What (unlikely) usage model could we come up with to burn GHz --- because we all knew that basic apps (word processing - email - surfing - music - decent graphics) only required 1 - 2Ghz at most.

One thing PCs do use that xtra Ghz for is running virus and spyware in the background --- now thats useful :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yea the sad thing is that most computer users could have a 586 and it would do 90% of what they needed it to but hey thats life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
Ex_PC_Puke said:
Dude ... you could do those activities on a Pentium III 1Ghz with a decent graphic card (i.e. my old PC).

Unless you're suffering from some extreme case of "GHz perversion" or "Tweak-phreak syndrome" .... relax chill out and get a mac. It does everything you need and does it well. With out all the maintenance overhead (MSFT updates <endless>, virus updates <endless>, spyware updates ....) and crappy MSFT applications. :biohazard

Trust me - I've spent more hours than I care to think about in meeting rooms at Intel where the topic of the day was .... how are we gonna use these GHz ?? What (unlikely) usage model could we come up with to burn GHz --- because we all knew that basic apps (word processing - email - surfing - music - decent graphics) only required 1 - 2Ghz at most.

One thing PCs do use that xtra Ghz for is running virus and spyware in the background --- now thats useful :p

hey now! :) a PC does some things well. as a duel user, I concentrate on which system will do what better. graphics are Mac territory. my games are PC territory. web browsing is both.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.