Macbook Audio Line Out Issue ???

Reaction score
Hi

When connecting external speakers to a Macbook is the line out port the same as the headset port ? because when using it the external speakers work but I find I’m having to use two volume controls to adjust the sound, the volume on the Mac also the monitor volume which is quite annoying when recording audio. I take it the headset port on the Macbook is doubling as an out port as well, is this right ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I'm not sure if I understood your post right, but yes, you use the same "line-out" port for speakers and for a headset and if you plug in your speakers then you have the system volume + the volume control on your speakers

most headsets don't have their separate volume, since they're not powered so there is no sound amplification ... so you end up using just the system volume

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
if you plug in your speakers then you have the system volume + the volume control on your speakers

Thats exactly my case, but i was wondering if it was possible to control the sound with just one volume panal ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
that's just how it works and it will be the same everywhere, just 2 pieces of hardware ...

what I do with my speakers is have them set to one value and I rarely change that, then just control the volume by increasing/decreasing my system volume

of course you have to watch out for some humming, so setting your speakers to the maximum lvl probably isn't the best idea :D

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
that's just how it works and it will be the same everywhere, just 2 pieces of hardware ...

I suppose your right.. thanks for your help scathe.

Best
Musicmad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.