PDA

View Full Version : Will you buy an iPad?

schweb
01-28-2010, 10:38 AM
So are you going to buy an iPad?

bargsbeer
01-28-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm planning on picking up the 16GB Wifi only version.

Kevriano
01-28-2010, 10:50 AM
No, but not because it's weird, because it's somewhat pointless IMO.

cuhnool
01-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Yes, in the near future. This may be a great alternative to using multiple notebooks. Considering all the useful Apps in the Apple store, it would be a great planner where I could keep track of all my assignments and notes. I could even take snapshots of articles on the web and save them to use for references.

chilimac
01-28-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm going to say an eventual and hesitant yes, 3g model. I won't be an early adopter, I'll wait for the iPad 2, or iPad Pro, or whatever. I've been burned as an early adopter before and have learned my lesson. For example, I'm glad I waited for the Kindle 2. That said, for the first gen: it looks pretty slick, good battery life, good features... I wouldn't turn one down if it was offered to me. But I'm going to wait for now.

bobtomay
01-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Definitely is on my list, probably with wi-fi only. Too big for carrying about for me and will be keeping our iPhones for out and about usage we may require.

True Bassist
01-28-2010, 11:40 AM
I imagine I will later in the year and probably will get the 3G version. I reckon that I'll be using it for reading at University and general entertainment. Bit easier than using my MBP there.

BadApple
01-28-2010, 12:25 PM
the minute the pre-order hits.

PAskiier
01-28-2010, 12:41 PM
No. I was hoping this would be like some of those "slate" computers... Touch screen, but also be able to write or draw on it with your finger or a stylus and have the option to be able to convert your notes to text. Having an iphone and a macbook makes me think that the iPad is pretty pointless as is. If it had those writing capabilities then it could be great for taking notes at school or at work, circling things or making comments in keynote presentations, etc. Also, if I were to consider buying this in the future it would need to have a flash player (with a beautiful and big screen like that seems like a waste not to be able to watch shows on Hulu or other TV websites). I'd also like to see a camera/webcam for on-the-go video chatting/ conferencing or skype calls. Anyone else a little dissappointed?

MYmacROX
01-28-2010, 12:52 PM
I'll wait until more features are introduced and prices are dropped and storage is increased.
I don't think prices are unreasonable or anything. I don't need the 3G unless it didn't require a monthly plan through a wireless carrier. As I understand it, the Kindle is 3G and you don't have to pay monthly charges. ???
Anyways, it's cool but not a necessity by any means. I could see its usefulness on a plane or to take on a trip when you don't want to pack the notebook.
I can wait and see what improvements come out in the following year(s).

iggibar
01-28-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm only interested in the 16gb Wifi version. Considering the kindle dx is $500+, it seems like a better deal. It will be a very useful for me in class since I have to take quick notes, and always use Numbers. I think it could come in handy. I won't be getting it right away though. I wan't to see what the first adopters think of it, and possibly wait for the first upgrade.

Majorman
01-28-2010, 01:54 PM
No, I'll be waiting to see just what kind of apps are made for it. If there's some sort of app to be able to store all your sheet music and then read it off of the screen that would be awesome for musicians like me. Also, I'm looking for them to add a camera in the next product update. The iPad is begging to be used for skype.

Kevriano
01-28-2010, 02:12 PM
No, I'll be waiting to see just what kind of apps are made for it. If there's some sort of app to be able to store all your sheet music and then read it off of the screen that would be awesome for musicians like me. Also, I'm looking for them to add a camera in the next product update. The iPad is begging to be used for skype.

That's an awesome idea. You should patent it.

bluefox9er
01-28-2010, 02:17 PM
no..there isn't anything it can do my iphone can't.

actually, my iphone does MORE than the ipad does...

not saying a giant sized ipod touch isn't a bad thing, it is just far too feature-less for me to want it. I will be putting the money I was intending to spend on this ipad towards the new macbook pros once they refresh that product line.

XJ-linux
01-28-2010, 02:17 PM
"I don't know yet, Steve's mind control isn't working right"

I'm waiting for v2.0.

tiger roach
01-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Yup, I'm pretty geeked about it. Probably will get the 16 gig wireless only.

I have held off on getting a Kindle for quite a while now because I wanted to see what this gizmo was going to be like, and I'm glad I did. I do like the electronic ink on the dedicated e-readers, but for anything other than pure text it comes up short. The web-browsing and iWork features on the Pad more than make up for that.

d3bruts1d
01-28-2010, 02:54 PM
I haven't decided yet. I will probably get one (WiFi only) for my wife, but I think an MacBook Pro would be better suited for my needs... it will largely depend on what I think of the device after actually putting my hands on it.

~Darkseeker~
01-28-2010, 03:22 PM
ill get one when the 3G version is the benchmark, and all the original design flaws have been identified and treated.

still rather have a MBP, though.

Lex
01-28-2010, 03:45 PM
My first thought was like why would people use this thing. But then again... this is targeting business people I think. If you think about it this is a great device. Basically if you take unlimited 3G network, you will have internet everywhere to access your emails. A lot will depend on what kind of apps will be created for it. Downside of this thing to me is that it doesn't have a camera (like in a macbook, not the iphone).

My vote: no I will not buy it because I have a macbook that I cary everywhere...

CrimsonRequiem
01-28-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm going to pass on this as well. Maybe when they do a product refresh.

Kash
01-28-2010, 05:29 PM
While I want to wait for the refresh as I'm sure some much needed features will be added, I'm sure I'll end up buying this as soon as I have the cash for it. Probably going to get the 16GB or 32GB version, definitely wireless only.

Sulphur man
01-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Just got the 'introducing iPad' email. In one sentence, the words that stand out are: 'magical', 'revolutionary' and 'unbelievable'. You can tell they're in trouble....

Periculum
01-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Although it also depends on the price in 's, I think I'll buy an Ipad with 65 gb and Wifi+3g. We don't have much wireless networks where I live, so 3g is a must.

McYukon
01-28-2010, 07:13 PM
No not yet, maybe once they update it with a camera and I'd add a built in SD card slot, multitasking, Flash Support. ( Yes it has a plugin SD reader, but that is just more stuff to lug around)

CassiopeeQC
01-28-2010, 09:52 PM
My head says : no! wait until the second generation.
My heart says : yes-yes-yesssss
I'd better listen to my head for this time.
I'm waiting some other informations before taking a real decision.
Mee too I like the electronic ink of e-readers but don't know the results on iPad.
If my decision is yes, I'll take the wifi 16g only. I don't need more.

CrimsonRequiem
01-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Just got the 'introducing iPad' email. In one sentence, the words that stand out are: 'magical', 'revolutionary' and 'unbelievable'. You can tell they're in trouble....

I'm not so sure about that. Those words are called power words, which are used in advertising.

I also got that email and it went straight to the trash can.

juniorjuice88
01-29-2010, 03:44 AM
Not sure. I like the idea of not having to lug my MacBook around class-to-class and I do think I'd prefer this type of device while on the bus or subway to and from class. Or for casually surfing the net in my living room with my family, as the laptop sometimes feels a bit...much.

I am disappointed that there is no webcam for video conferencing via msn or another chat program and no usb. The software just seems a bit too on the simple side - like yeah, it can do this and that but when compared to what my MacBook can do, it's extremely limiting. Jobs says this is the "most amazing way" to experience the internet, but I don't know if I agree. I don't know about you guys, but I tend to like various safari windows open at once, layered on top of each other to see different things (like having a show on youtube on in the background etc).

Also, as a blackberry user, I don't think I'd need this AND an iPhone. I think that would be a bit much, again, unless you were a student or using this iPad in your business. I see a lot of potential for this product in advertising/pr firms, though.

ETA: I'm not really a "techie" but I can tell the memory is probably limiting, which sucks. I guess you can't expect for it to have memory like an actual computer, LoL - but I DO like to download shows, and I see a problem there. I also see frustration with having things on your iPad calendar, or notes that you've taken, and then not having them on your macbook - unless the devices somehow sync.

greggles
01-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Initially I thought "Nice but no Cigar". The lack of the camera etc is puzzling. Buit the more I think about it, the more I realize that I JUST MUST HAVE ONE (depending on the UK price - hopefully not $1 = 1).

32GB WiFi only.

Incidentally, Im considering selling my early white MacBook to finance it. Yes I know - a bit like selling a vintage jaguar to by a new Toyota Prius!

Yog
01-29-2010, 09:48 AM
I will wait for the next generation and see if Apple reduces the black border around it. its too wide and distracting IMO. Will buy 3G+Wifi but want bigger storage. even 64gb is not enough. at least double. And high megapixel hd camera is a must so i could do video conferencing.

JeremyZ
01-29-2010, 10:34 AM
I put "I don't know yet." The thing that gives me pause is that to really get the performance out of it, we'd need WiFi access. Web browsing with 3G is just too slow for me to bother with it. But if we have WiFi access, it would be almost as easy to just bring a laptop, which will be more powerful.

The place where this really would come in nice is if I don't know I'm going to be somewhere there is WiFi, and I just have it in my bag in case.

Then, there is the fact that when I'm browsing the web, such as now, I usually do a lot of typing, for which the iPad isn't as good.

I've already got a Kindle, so the eBook reader isn't attractive to me. Kindle's screen gives zero eye strain.

I don't think the hardware is powerful enough to run MacOS, or they would have done it. I don't miss the webcam. To me, the only thing really missing is an internet connection that is as fast as WiFi, but as widespread as 3G.

It was a really smart move for them to price it lower than anticipated for a change.

Jobs was right when he said netbooks don't really do anything well.

superbike81
01-29-2010, 11:19 AM
My first thought was like why would people use this thing. But then again... this is targeting business people I think. If you think about it this is a great device. Basically if you take unlimited 3G network, you will have internet everywhere to access your emails. A lot will depend on what kind of apps will be created for it. Downside of this thing to me is that it doesn't have a camera (like in a macbook, not the iphone).

My vote: no I will not buy it because I have a macbook that I cary everywhere...

They are also marketing it towards students, which is why I will buy it. Sure, I could download the same e-books on my notebook, but it's ~3hr battery life won't cover nearly a full day of classes.

I'll be buying the 16GB 3G model upon release (just waiting for Apple to start pre-orders).

MYmacROX
01-29-2010, 12:31 PM
I wonder how many e-books you can fit on the 16gb model.

superbike81
01-29-2010, 01:35 PM
I wonder how many e-books you can fit on the 16gb model.

Kindle DX has about 3.3GB available for content, and can hold 3500 books.

Periculum
01-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I just hope you can store and open regular pdfs on it.

lol mahmood
01-29-2010, 02:08 PM
No. It's not unique enough; my MBP and iPod Touch cover all the bases quite nicely.

MacbookWilis
01-29-2010, 02:56 PM
don't get me wrong but it's a cool gadget, i don't think i would buy this version though what going to happen is just like on the iphone the next gen of the ipad might have a camera or somthing i don't know, it would have been cool that instead of a giant ipod touch on steroids y would have been like a MacBook light :P NetMacBook lol but i think would have been better, i'll just have to wait and see how the iPad evolves before thinking of buying one.

If i would have worked in apple i would have suggested that the would turn the MacBook Air into the Mac tablet instead no that would have been very cool ^_^

dan828
01-29-2010, 04:43 PM
I want one, but then again, I have an iPhone 3g, a 1st gen iPod touch somewhere, a net book, a laptop, and a Kindle 2, so obviously I don't need one.

Kash
01-29-2010, 04:57 PM
I just hope you can store and open regular pdfs on it.

Not sure about storing, but you should most definitely be able to open them seeing as how you can do that with an iPod touch and iPhone right now. You just have to email them to yourself and you're set.

One thing I like is that Apple went with the ePub format, which means you already have access to over a million free titles via Google Books, which also uses the same format.

Dillinger-63
01-29-2010, 04:58 PM
No, but not because it's weird, because it's somewhat pointless IMO.

I agree. After reading about it and thinking what I might honestly use it for I will pass. Had it been a iPad/netbook with an attached keyboard that looked something like this: Pen Computing Magazine: Averatec C3500 Tablet PC (http://www.pencomputing.com/frames/averatec_c3500.html)

but in the Apple way then yes I would have purchased one.

CrimsonRequiem
01-29-2010, 06:17 PM
I agree. After reading about it and thinking what I might honestly use it for I will pass. Had it been a iPad/netbook with an attached keyboard that looked something like this: Pen Computing Magazine: Averatec C3500 Tablet PC (http://www.pencomputing.com/frames/averatec_c3500.html)

but in the Apple way then yes I would have purchased one.

I would have also bought it in a heartbeat if it was actually a tablet PC.

nufc_joe
01-29-2010, 06:39 PM
I will buy one, does anybody know if i bought an ipad from the USA would it work back in the UK, just that im in the US around the time of release.
(wifi one i am enquiring about)

Zoolook
01-29-2010, 07:28 PM
I'll probably get the 32GB wifi only version. I really like it, I only hope there is some sort of multi tasking allowed.

fearlessfreap24
01-30-2010, 02:09 AM
i voted no, but not because it is weird. because it does not fit my needs. i might change my mind when i see one in real life.

Nohtanhoj
01-30-2010, 02:24 AM
Most likely going to pick up the 16 or 32 GB WiFi only version. I guarantee there will be apps released (most likely in retail) for note-taking that will include capacative styluses, thus making this ideal for university students. Imagine using an iPad (the same size as a single notebook) for all of your class notes, and to make it doubly great, all of your textbooks on the iBook store.

There'll be no need to buy hard-copies anymore, or waste money/space on lots of class notebooks. =D

superbike81
01-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Most likely going to pick up the 16 or 32 GB WiFi only version. I guarantee there will be apps released (most likely in retail) for note-taking that will include capacative styluses, thus making this ideal for university students. Imagine using an iPad (the same size as a single notebook) for all of your class notes, and to make it doubly great, all of your textbooks on the iBook store.

There'll be no need to buy hard-copies anymore, or waste money/space on lots of class notebooks. =D

See, I just hope they allow multi-tasking between notes and e-books. Or build a notetaking module into the e-book reader. Because what you are describing will be my primary use for the iPad, college. It would be great if I could quickly open up a notepage to write on, and then go right back to my e-textbook.

mrplow
01-30-2010, 04:47 PM
I like the size, speed, idea but. . . . there are a few little issues that are holding me back from my normal keynote drooling. . .

No stereo speaker? - device for gaming, sharing music, video, slideshows with family - but a mono speaker?

No dock connector on the longer edge for horizontal docking, movie watching?

Super fast processor but no multitasking, just two apps simultaneously would do? why can't i have a text book open on one side and a notes app on the other?

Minor issues I grant you but I don't want to start my time with a new device thinking....'version 2 will be better!'

And price..... great in dollars.....but if it's $1=1 then it simply isn't worth it for me.

With so many full-blown tablet/slate/netbook PCs around I was hoping Apple would give us the killer device that would, as they did with the iPod and iPhone, showcase new and never done before ideas. While slick and pretty. The iPad simply hasn't demonstrated itself to be anything more than a jumbo iPod Touch.

Maybe in time with the right apps it'll become more than the sum of it's parts but so far, it's not for me.

superbike81
01-30-2010, 06:28 PM
The main textbook App I would use "CourseSmart" has a built-in note-taker. So no need for multitasking in that case.

The speaker? Meh, I wear headphones anyways if I'm gonna watch a movie or something, I don't want to bother everyone else around me with loud volumes.

fleurya
01-31-2010, 11:41 AM
For me it will be the perfect travel companion when I'm traveling for work 50% of the year and couch/coffee shop device when I'm home. I'll get one, but wait a couple months to see if any nasty bugs need shaken out first. I don't think 3G will be necessary for me since I can always use my jailbroken iPhone as a wireless router. :Evil:

I think Apple has shown through its iWork apps that a decent amount of productivity can be accomplished. They've created a basic roadmap for third party developers to make their own productivity apps. And if that's not good enough for you, you can always use apps like LogMeIn (https://secure.logmein.com/US/products/ignition/iPhone/default.aspx) to remote into your home computer.

Based on how good the experience is, this could completely replace my laptop and I would just go with an iMac/iPad setup.

Doc750
01-31-2010, 11:47 AM
I'll be getting the $499 one. I agree with everyone that it should have had a camera, been able to use flash, more memory, etc etc ... and from experience the 2nd, 3rd generation device will improve on a lot of that.

But even the way it is now, it's a pretty cool little device

BadApple
01-31-2010, 12:21 PM
16G wifi for me thats why i will be selling my new white uni MB

Quad-Pat
01-31-2010, 07:17 PM
I believe that this product is going to be an amazing addition to my apple collection. Since I use my laptop as a "desktop" and it never leaves my desk because every cable possible is put into the machine and I don't want to constantly mess with cables. Meaning the i-pad will be an amazing thing for me. I can actually sit on my couch watching tv and surf the internet at the same time!

Ipad+patrick=very excited

-Patrick

KChinn
02-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Man is it just me or is it like having the cleanup batter at the plate and the ball delivered on a "T" and only a single mustered by the slugger? I am not as knowledgeable about computers / Apple products as most people on this forum. I own a 24" iMac, a 2nd gen ipod nano, an 2nd gen ipod touch, ipod Shuffle and was salivating at what Apple was getting ready to offer. I feel that the table was set for them to practically kill the netbook industry. I have been holding off on purchasing a netbook figuring that by this time they would be obsoleted by Apples' genious. Sadly, I will not be buying one at the moment. Hopefully in future editions, my wishlist will be fulfilled. How can they not have a 16:9 screen in the HD times we are in? how can this device not handle true HD? Along with being able to multitask? This really limits it's usefullness as a computer IMO. How is it the "best internet exprience" when not flash supported? Also a webcam should be almost automatic if you compare to everything on the market. I agree that note taking ability would be perfect for class. I will be the first in line when/if these things are a reality. Until then, sadly it looks like i'm heading the netbook route. Also, a hybrid e-ink / fill in the blank screen would have been icing on the cake and been what kind of forward thinking I've came to expect from Apple.

chrisdor
02-03-2010, 11:11 AM
I'll be getting the Wifi only version. Instant internet on a decent sized screen is reason enough for me. I often want to check something when I'm at home but don't want to wait for my Laptop to boot up.

RavingMac
02-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Not about whether or not to get one . . . though actually I will buy two (one for me and one for my wife).
Being frugal by nature (cheap) I am attracted by the $499 model. But I have been burned too many times in the past by buying to little and then soon after rebuying to get what I should have gotten at first. This is multiplied by the fact that I am buying two iPads each time.
On the otherhand, I am sure that iPad vs 2 (with camera and other upgrades, plus price reductions) is not far down the road . . . so that brings me back to waiting (which I don't want to do) or buying the low price version now and upgrading when the iPad is refreshed.

superbike81
02-04-2010, 03:21 AM
You don't have to wait, buy the $499 iPad now, and when the an updated version comes out that has the features you want, sell your iPad for $350 or so and buy the new one. There's no guarantee the new one will come out with all the features you want anyways. If you want it, get it.

chas_m
02-04-2010, 03:53 AM
what superbike said. I will make a CRAPLOAD of money with the first one available, then sell it if a better one comes along.

Nighthawk4
02-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Almost certainly.

Which version and whether I can hold out until the Mark II comes out depends in part on the prices they charge over here in the UK.

The chances of a gadget-junkie like me not buying one..........not very high :Smirk:

stoster1
02-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Yes I'll be buying the iPad. Definitely the WiFi version only. Don't want to pay an extra $130 for 3G and then have to pay $30 a month to AT&T. I already give them enough money through my iPhone contract.

I'm looking to probably get the 32gig version. I don't have a laptop and have been thinking about getting one for some time but the price on the 15 inch base MBP was more than I wanted to pay plus the weight was also a factor.

I need something that is light but I don't necessarily need the device to do everything I can do on my iMac. Web surfing, email, media playback covers most of what I want to do. Plus I have a couple of iPhone apps, Bento & Family Tree, that I sync up on my iPhone now. Would be great to have a bigger screen to enter data and to take with me when I travel.

The iPad is definitely not for everyone but will work in my situation. I'm not too concerned, at this point, about the lack of multi tasking or front facing camera. For all the talk of video chats or video conferencing I don't know any of my friends who do that on a regular basis.

I'm looking forward to getting a hold of it and to see how well it works. So for everyone who was disappointed when Apple announced the iPad I'm sorry it didn't meet your expectations/needs but looks like it's going to meet mines :)

superbike81
02-06-2010, 02:36 AM
Remember though, it's not only 3G you are getting for that extra $130, you are also getting GPS. For someone like me who won't already have a GPS system, it might just be worth it.

fleurya
02-06-2010, 11:20 AM
^^ It's not true GPS. It's "assisted GPS" which is just a rough triangulation of your position using cell towers. It can be off by quite a bit.

If you really want GPS, I would suggest just buying a stand-alone unit. They're really cheap these days. For the price of that $130 3G you can easily buy a true GPS unit.

bobtomay
02-06-2010, 11:24 AM
^^ It's not true GPS. It's "assisted GPS" which is just a rough triangulation of your position using cell towers. It can be off by quite a bit.

If you really want GPS, I would suggest just buying a stand-alone unit. They're really cheap these days. For the price of that $130 3G you can easily buy a true GPS unit.

This is my understanding also. It will use a technology similar to that which was used in the 1st gen iPhones.

It will be nice to have a 9" map though instead of the iPhone sized one.

Chris H.
02-07-2010, 01:36 AM
My reasons for a somewhat undecided answer:

A) You have to use an actual freakin' computer to use it
B) I don't jailbreak devices, but I like having a CLI (for some reason)
C) IMO, it's just like my iPod touch, only bigger, with iWork, and a Bookshelf with Bookstore (iBooks and iBookstore)

D) SD card, Apple? Frickin' camera, Apple? Earth to Mr. S. Jobs...
E) I need a computer for college, not an e-Textbook reader (this might change later, but I have doubts)

F) I'm hanging on to the possibility of a new tablet from Apple like I've recently read- 15.4 inch tablet with OS X. Though I don't think this will be a reality (again, look at the iPad).

Some of us are forgetting-

Note taking: virtual keyboard+Pages or virtual keyboard+Notes...it might be cumbersome, but it looks like it could work.
eTextbook- not my thing. I know I know, it reduces weight BIG time versus 8 books, but having a book available, where as a device that has a battery could die, eh I'll weigh out the differences.

And I'll add that a MacBook Air tablet would have been more preferred, just MO.

A MacBook Air for college sounds reasonable, though I also like having a disc drive. Something to think about.

ZorroAMG
02-07-2010, 03:40 AM
Chris H, you DO realize that there is an SD card reader that connects to the dock, right?

Anyway, like I've said before, who is going to patiently wait while RAW photos come off their camera onto a slow iPad?

I wouldn't. SD card reader is rather useless imo...

Chris H.
02-07-2010, 04:37 AM
Chris H, you DO realize that there is an SD card reader that connects to the dock, right?

Anyway, like I've said before, who is going to patiently wait while RAW photos come off their camera onto a slow iPad?

I wouldn't. SD card reader is rather useless imo...

Haven't heard of one, but I guess I could research it. ;D

ZorroAMG
02-07-2010, 04:47 AM
It's on the Apple website, the only website with real info about the not-yet-released iPad.

Apple (Canada) - iPad - Technical specifications and accessories for iPad. (http://www.apple.com/ca/ipad/specs/) scroll to the bottom.

Closerframe
02-11-2010, 09:59 PM
I'll wait a year or so, until Apple releases an iPad at a cheaper price and featuring a camera.

kdr4t
02-15-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm definitely getting the base 3G version. They are making a lot more profit on the more expensive models, and for what it is capable of I see no reason for a lot of HD space. As for the 3G vs wifi models, well there is an article over at ipad forum (http://www.radipad.com) that says you can use your same SIM card that you are paying for unlimited 3g on on your iphone, its just the wrong size( not micro sim), so with an adapter you should be good, and not have to play for a separate 3G pan

chas_m
02-16-2010, 01:22 AM
well there is an article over at ipad forum (http://www.radipad.com) that says you can use your same SIM card that you are paying for unlimited 3g on on your iphone, its just the wrong size( not micro sim), so with an adapter you should be good, and not have to play for a separate 3G pan

Uh, no. At least, not at present.

You can't cram a full-size SIM card into the iPad's micro-SIM slot. Physically impossible.

I suppose someone could create a micro-SIM adapter with a wire that runs out of the slot to a full-size SIM reader, but that seems ... um, about as cool as a cassette adapter for your iPod.

A more elegant solution for people with existing unlimited 3G plans would probably be the MiFi box.

Closerframe
02-16-2010, 01:43 AM
As the days go on I find myself wanting one more and more, so instead of waiting a year or two, I'll most likely buy an iPad this summer.

greggles
02-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Despite my initial disappointment, I'll be queueing up outside my local Apple Store on Launch day (as I was for the previous 3 iPhone launches) Provided, of course, that the UK price is not too inflated.

My main justification being for Keynote Presentations - As a keen Keynote User (in a Windows/ Powerpoint workplace) I take great pleasure in producing the most eye-catching presentations.;D

jmccoy
02-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I'll be buying one alright, however I will be waiting for version 2 at least.

Angel113
02-17-2010, 03:52 AM
Don't know yet.. May be in the next future, i might going to buy it...

cgp
02-27-2010, 03:33 AM
Yes because it's the future of computing. A simple OS with proper touch
screen, that does away with physical keys. I didn't get a iphone
because its the size of a phone, a computer pretending to be a phone.
3G can go, proper WiFi hotspots is what we need.
Note the latest chip technologies the PC has shrunk to the size of an
iphone, but we need the size of a pad.

Too bad about possible OLED display coming up soon. Don't worry
about accessory physical ports missing, its all wireless or a small
attachment wire.

AriSchwartz
03-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm a producer with NHK Japan Broadcasting (Japan's public television broadcaster.) We're doing a story on the iPad's launch in April, and we are looking to do some filming with someone who pre-ordered the device and will be picking it up the day of launch.

We are in NYC, and so I'd like to meet with someone in NYC (5th Ave or SoHo). We don't want anything other than your honest opinion and some of your time. If you are interested in possibly meeting with us, please contact me at ari dot schwartz at nhkny dot com. Thanks!

Nurru
03-16-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm not sure yet. I hear they aren't that good... but we'll see. :Oops:

the8thark
03-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Well seems you are hearing things that were not said. Maybe a trip to the doc will fix things up for you. :).

cuhnool
03-17-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm not sure yet. I hear they aren't that good... but we'll see. :Oops:

Sources?

eyePawd
03-17-2010, 05:29 PM
I won't be purchasing the iPad. My MBP is less than 3 months old, so I don't think I need to be buying any new devices.......yet. Although if I never bought a MBP, I would defintely get the iPad

bcatquail
03-20-2010, 08:23 PM
I've ordered the 32GB with 3G, plus the stand, the case and apple care. I purchased a wireless keyboard through Apple refurbished.

MYmacROX
03-21-2010, 02:34 PM
I've ordered the 32GB with 3G, plus the stand, the case and apple care. I purchased a wireless keyboard through Apple refurbished.

So you can use the wireless keyboard with the iPad via bluetooth? Maybe that's already been mentioned, but it escapes my memory. Sorry. O:)

4phun
03-22-2010, 09:55 AM

There seems to be a fair bit of confusion among some about 'assisted GPS' in the iPad. This is a desirable feature and it is available only if there is a AT&T 3G option built into your iPad. 'Assisted GPS' is not a feature of low end GPS units.

The iPad 3G like the iPhone 3GS can read the signals from the Global Position System orbiting overhead. Expensive GPS units have excellent antennas and chip sets that allow them to track 12 satellites simultaneously. You need the signal from at least four for a great fix, three will do but not so accurate.

The iPad doesn't have the world's best GPS antenna so under normal circumstances it would not be very good for occasional GPS use. Cheaper GPS units would require you to manually input your address including ZIP code to give the GPS unit a head start in trying to calculate where the GPS satellites are.

'Assisted GPS speeds that up by getting location information from the nearest 3G cell towers. AT&T has agreed to supply that information to the iPad as part of their 3G service. All cell towers must have a highly accurate GPS receiver as part of their hardware otherwise cellular technology would not even work. Most have no idea that if you could take out the GPS satellites with a military strike you could instantly kill a lot of every day technology.

Then the iPad GPS chip knows how to interpret the data streams it is getting from the satellites it can see. The benefit to you is you get an almost instant lock and calculation of your position from the moment you request GPS data.

The reason some GPS software seems so sluggish on the iPhone 3GS is related to the slow hardware and in many cases total loss of the GPS signal riding inside a car that is going under trees and between tall buildings. I am surprised at how well the iPhone 3GS works with all the built in limitations.

'Assisted GPS' technology is one of those reasons it works well.

There is no 'Assisted GPS' technology in the low end iPad models with WiFi only so they will prove to be useless in a car for navigation. On the other hand users with the high end 3G iPad will have a killer device for in car navigation with that screen size! IMHO the iPad 3G is almost way too big for a small car. But for a large SUV, RV, or even a tractor trailer it would be perfect.

MN_Mac_Gal
03-22-2010, 10:00 AM
I already ordered mine on the 12th.

I ordered the 64 gb 3g model.

I also purchased the case,and Apple Care.

Now the end of April needs to hurry up and get here. :)

ebeckert
03-22-2010, 06:26 PM
I ordered mine on the 16th. Preordered the 64gb WiFi + 3G, along with the keyboard stand, case, applecare, and an extra power cord. I wish I could hit fast forward a month.

btor72
03-24-2010, 04:16 PM
For those of you who are going to purchase the iPad, are you going to purchase the wifi only or the wifi + 3g and why? My group of friends are debating the need for 3G. The argument is that most places you will use your iPad will have wifi available, i.e. airports, hotels, coffee shops, & your home to name a few. Do you agree?

ebeckert
03-24-2010, 06:42 PM
I pre-ordered the wifi plus 3G. Think about it. Many cellphones with internet capability (namely, iPhone) do not have the greatest battery known to man. Browsing the internet, watching videos, or using apps will drain the battery pretty quickly, especially on 3G dual mode. The iPad would be able to supplement this without running down my phone's battery.

Other times I will use the 3G is when I am on the road. Instead of bringing my MacBook, I can easily bring my iPad to watch a movie, surf the net, or whatever else I need. And a month's worth of data is equivalent to a couple nights of hotel internet. It seems like it would be a better deal to buy the 3G and have it fast whenever then slow WiFi at hotels you pay for.

Let me know what you choose.

goddess_of_go
03-27-2010, 10:26 PM
I just ordered the 64 GB with 3G.

I also got the case and Apple Care.

Later I will probably get a stand and an extra power cord.

I can hardly wait. It's a shame that we have to wait an extra month for 3G.

Terri

BadApple
03-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Mine just went in to. Prepared to ship. .yeah

Schubunny
03-28-2010, 12:08 AM
I will probably buy one...eventually. My laptop probably has a couple of years in it. Hopefully by then they'll have a second generation one out with any bumps ironed out.

I like the idea of it. Sitting on the sofa surfing without a heavy laptop (I have ME - heavy things are an issue for me). Using it in bed when I am too ill to move and sit at the desk.

chas_m
03-28-2010, 12:38 AM
I plan on buying a 32GB Wifi/3G model. The 3G will be unused by me while I am in Canada, but on my frequent trips to the states I can have "unlimited" 3G connectivity for $30 via AT&T, no ongoing cost or obligation. Seems like a great deal to me.

As for "why 32GB," it's actually a lot more than I need for "entertainment storage" but I believe it will retain its value well when a future model is released (which, contrary to the thinking round here, I don't think will come out anytime soon), so I figure I'll get a good chunk of what I paid for it back when I do upgrade.

Schubunny
03-28-2010, 04:19 AM
Oh I meant to say. I would use it as a photo display as well. Load up my best or recent shots. If (or when) I got one I probably wouldn't get 3G, I doubt I would use it very much.

gbtjom
03-28-2010, 10:23 PM
It looks as if I will be getting one and it will be one of the WiFI only versions. I really have no need for the 3G nor another monthly bill. :o

I haven't decided on the memory side yet but I'm leaning 16G.

I will not order until I actually get a chance to play with one to see if I like it. Hopefully the Apple store near by will have some or possibly Best Buy.

Plus, it will give me a chance to read what early adopters think as well....I'm sure there will be a lot of comments here for example.

jom

gotham
03-29-2010, 09:35 AM
I did not vote because I am planing on getting the wifi 3g but hoping over the summer verizon picks up the iphone then I would wait till verizon gets the ipad too. if they fail to pick up the Iphone by the end of summer then I will get the att one

StevesWeb
04-03-2010, 07:45 PM
I have pre-ordered the 64gb 3G version. I'm looking forward to comparing iBooks to my Kindle DX.

XJ-linux
04-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Thus far, I'm still not convinced I need one at this moment. From the reviews I have seen, it seems pretty awesome and does everything advertised in spades. Yet, the tech procurement voice in me keeps asking "What do you need to do right now, that you can't do right now... and will this do that for you now, and for the next 3 years?" Currently, I don't see it benefitting me. I'll play with one when they are back in stock at our Minneapolis Apple Stores and see what's up. I'm still thinking a v2.0 3/4G will be in my future, but not a v1.0.

tdll1313
04-04-2010, 07:46 AM
You know I was so excited to learn more about this product shortly before it was unveiled in Januaray and after watching the demo I felt only disappointment. Between my iPhone 3GS and my iMac I couldn't find a place I would really use it. However, the iBook app looks stellar and I read a lot. I also have Netflix and use the instant stream function everyday. I also do a lot of reading on forums such as this one. While this stuff all is doable on the iPhone, all the video reviews of the iPad using these functions alone made me change my mind and I pre-ordered the 32 gig Wifi/3G model about 30 minutes ago. So I guess I will be waiting until the end of April.

btor72
04-04-2010, 11:14 PM
I ended up buying the wifi only iPad. I'm enjoying it very much. Also the places I have taken the iPad with me, I really to have a need to be connected to the Web. If I could either look at my phone or go to the nearest Starbuck's or Panera Bread.

ezcompane
04-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Loving my 32gb since Saturday. I've put so much crap on it and I still have 14gb left on it. I decided against the 3G because I don't want to pay for the data plan and just about every public place I would take it has wireless---(school, work, barnes and noble,panera, friend's house). Maybe in a year or two I'll upgrade to more storage and 3G if I need it.

the8thark
04-06-2010, 03:26 AM
So ezcompane you think a 32 GB is enough and no need to get the 64GB?

Doc750
04-06-2010, 06:48 AM
I actually think that an extra $100 or $200 for 32 GB or 64 GB is outrageous. I really have no need to have my entire movie and audio collection on the Ipad. I just sync and download the things I need.

Besides I know when version 2 comes out, it's going to be a lot better. At that point hopefully the price comes down, and the extra features make the extra cost worth it.

wbkm85
04-07-2010, 02:00 PM
i'm gonna buy one as soon as i can find one here locally at our Best Buy lol

amazing and it's so thin!

jetmech1
04-07-2010, 05:58 PM
I went to Best Buy today to get one and all they had left were the demos, which were not for sale. I wonder if the Apple store has any left? But the drive is kind of a pain with traffic. The demos were cool to play with, but even though I want an iPad, I just wonder how much use it will get after the "NEW" excitement wears off of it. My iPod does not get used much at all, since my Blackberry has the ability to play music. My MacBook, Mini, and iMac all get a lot of use from me and the kids. My kids liked the iPad as much as I did, but I'm not sure that I would want the kids to abuse a $500 iPad.

Hmm, looks like I will be ordering one soon.

Doc750
04-07-2010, 06:57 PM
I stopped browsing the web from my iPhone, and am almost exclusively doing everything from the Ipad. It kinda sucks using the iPhone now ... I never thought i would say that.

idavidnguyen
04-11-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm going to get the 3G version when I have enough money.

jrichard012
04-16-2010, 01:56 PM
I definitely will get the 3G/32GB version. It took me a while to progress from "I really don't need it" to it being a must-have. I've test driven them on 3 separate occasions at the Apple stores and now can't wait. I'll mainly use it for iBooks, but who knows. It is definitely easier to access the web when not at home as opposed to using the 3GS. Originally the lack of Flash was a deal breaker, but now I'm flexible on that.

lokerd
04-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Strange that this thread has gotten so quiet.

The short version of this post is that the iPad is an amazing product.

I want to help dispel two big arguments:

1. It's just a big iTouch. True...but if that were relevant, we would all still be using 14" monitors...and nobody would drive suburbans. Bigger is better...and EVERYTHING is truly more practical. Typing on the large horizontal keyboard is just about as good as it gets. With predictive typing, and autocorrection, as I learn to type on it, I am getting faster...and SO much quieter...it is simply amazing. In vertical, it is just the right size for my medium hand to type with my thumbs. Obviously ANYTHING that is good to have bigger is better. Viewing photos, maps from terrain view to street level view, spreadsheets...everything is simply more practical to actually use it as a productivity device. Good docs works great. Editing spreadsheets is so much better.

2. The ______ is going to be better. Ok, perhaps. But let's compare them side-by-side, right now. I have a bunch of my high school students arguing with me...as my iPad sits on my desk...trying to tell me that the _____ is going to be better. This is what I tell them. "You hold your _____ and I will hold mine. Wait...you don't have your _____ yet? I don't get it...how is your _____ better????". Who cares if the _____ is GOING to be better. The next iPad is going to better than the iPad right now. The APple Newton 2100 was better than the original Message Pad. DUH!!! Didn't stop me from buying one...or the 120 (I skipped the 130) or a 2000 or the upgrade to the 2100.

The long story...

As a photographer or anybody would like to display their work to somebody else, this is a no-brainer.

At first, I didn't think I would get one...but I thought that about the iTouch also. I am a photographer, and I like to show my work. A few months ago (early November), a fellow photographer showed me a few of his pictures. I asked to see his iphone and proceeded to look through his pictures.

OMG!!! It was amazing. I couldn't believe how cool it was to be able to show off one's work like that. In fact, I actually learned some new techniques from his work...I was inspired not just by his iPhone...but by his photo work on the iPhone...and I TEACH photography!

I ended up getting a used iPhone that I just didn't activate...to kind of hold me over until the iPad was released. I also got my wife a iPhone. I figured they had better resale value than a simple itouch that would drop in price the minute I opened the box.

I have to say, that after all this time of denying myself the pleasure of an iTouch/iPhone, I am in LOVE with the iPhone. Well, I should say it is a LOVE HATE relation ship. I love almost everything about the iPhone system. I HATE that it doesn't have more ways to configure (like the Newton did)...and the absence of such basic things such as arrow keys on the keyboard drive me bananas. Fortunately, my iPhones can be tweaked...so I have got a few things that help such as being able to lock the rotation on the fly, control the brightness a little easier, etc. I eagerly await the same function on the iPad...perhaps by the time the 3g model is in my hands.

Anyway, point is, I was on the fence about the iPad, but thought I would try out the iPhone OS...and it is fantastic. Even with out 3g Phone service, it is an amazing device. The iPhone would be even more amazing if it had 3g only service on it...and I could continue with my Sprint Service. I only pay like $75 including tax for a full access family plan with a corporate discount that disappears if I upgrade from my legacy Smart Phone, the Palm Centro. So, if I wanted to upgrade to a iPhone, or any other smart phone, it would cost me upwards of $70 more PER MONTH!!!

My plan was really to sell the iPhone...and a netbook I have.

Well, I have had the iPad WIFI for almost two weeks. It is due back to Best Buy in a couple of days to get it returned under the 14 day return policy. It is NOTHING short of amazing. I have used it a variety of places, from McDonalds to research our hotel accommodations options to lying around in bed or watching TV for several hours...much more usable that I was afraid it wouldn't be...and MUCH more practical than my netbook sitting on my chest...or lying in bed sideways with my laptop on it's side, etc.

The only place it wasn't usable was in a hotel room that didn't have wifi...and I had to use my Sprint phone connected to my Netbook to finish working on some stuff for the day.

So...

I REALLY, REALLY want the 3g version. Especially after learning today that on the $15 plan, one can simply turn the 3g off and not turn it back on for the rest of the month, so it should be pretty easy to pace myself. That is about 16mb of data per day. I am around wifi during business hours. So, that should be enough for any pockets of no wifi.

After I get the 3g, I do intend to sell the netbook. I am not sure if I will be able to get rid of the iphone though...something about it being SO dang small...to have a little computer in the palm of my hand is pretty dang cool.

However, having said all this, I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the VGA adapter. I bought in hopes of being able to show off my work on any old VGA that I happened across. Turns out, it only works with sideshow...and it is very frustrating to control the slide show at that. VERY bad design.

Drew -- Index (http://www.drewloker.com)

ipodmacfan
04-24-2010, 09:06 AM
I'll be putting a pre-order for the 64GB 3G as soon as it's available for pre-order here (May 10). I chose this model as I wanted lots of flash memory (to store lots of apps, movies, music, TV shows, music videos, podcasts, etc and when I get it, hopefully iBooks, documents, spreadsheets and presentations too.)

I chose the 3G because I'd like access to reasonably fast internet (plus the extra WiFi hotspots that come with the 3G contract) wherever I am as well as the WiFi I'll be getting anyway. I really want to fully replace my Dell Mini 10 netbook in all ways. I'll also be picking up the official iPad case, and the Keyboard dock - and maybe the SD card adapter later on.

As for updates, I'll probably pass on the next iPad model and get the one after that, in a 2 year cycle, just as I do with iPhone (I buy 3G, don't bother with 3GS and then buy 4G and so on.)

bjlindy
05-03-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure yet. The jury is still out. If it turns out to be as cool as the iPhone then yes, absolutely. I'm tired of my clunky laptop.

lokerd
05-03-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm tired of my clunky laptop.

This is what I am talking about.

I have been using laptops since a Duo 280c in 1994...and a bunch of laptops since then. I currently have like 5 in the house ranging from a 12 Mac G4 to a 17" (that JUST died a miserable death...probably because I didn't use it for a week after getting the iPad).

But I am tired of them all! They are heavy, hot, slow, and inconvenient. Browsing the web, especially now that we have tabs with Atomic, is BRILLIANT. I actually PREFER sitting around browsing with the iPad over a regular computer.

Web on an iPhone/touch was COOL. On an iPad...it is useful, practical...and desirable!!!!

taylz
05-04-2010, 12:18 PM
hmmm... well the jury may be out for a lot of people, but they've already sold a million in 28 days, so someone out there must love it! myself, i can't decide... i love apple products and am a pretty big devotee, but then i read this review and it totally raised some points that are making me think twice:

3 major failings of the Apple iPad | Articles | Content Formula (http://www.contentformula.com/articles/2010/3-major-failings-of-the-apple-ipad/)

help! :)

lokerd
05-04-2010, 12:57 PM
but then i read this review and it totally raised some points that are making me think twice:
help! :)

Are you really referencing an article that was written in Jan????

The iPad is nothing short of a miracle.

And I am not an Apple Zealot.

But I do use a computer about 18 hours a day, almost every day of my life, Mac and PC (I teach High School Photography). And, I have used laptops since 1994 with my first Mac Duo 280c. It wasn't perfect either. My primary home desktop is incredible with a 28" and a 20" monitor on a dual out video card. But I hate being stuck in my computer room at home...so does my wife. Oh, and then there is my desktop at work with three 17" monitors, one of them rotated to portrait mode, for the ultimate desktop experience. But it isn't perfect either...because I can't sit at my desk during class.

And don't get me started on any of the 5 laptops I have in my house, from a 12" Mac G4 laptop...older...but still kicking...to my 17" portable computer with a full size keyboard including a numeric keypad. They all suck! I am tired of laptops...cooking my "lap", tethered to a wire, a mouse, and lap rest, all so cumbersome just to get up and go to the rest room.

I have done the "mobile office" and take my work with me using a laptop...for too many years...it is exhausting. The laptop did get me out off the home and work office...and out into the public...or at home...out from the computer room. But for 16 years, I have fought with the laptop in my lap...and I finally done with it!!!

The iPad won't replace any of the devices above for real serious work such as culling down a 1000 pictures and editing in Photoshop for a competition. Nor will it take the place of a laptop at a contest to run scoring, or database operations, etc. at least not yet.

But, for a large percentage of my computer from communication to light research, the iPad is the freedom to get out and go. And at the house, it is the freedom to move around and be flexible.

This may seem silly...but just to get up and get some water, or make some tea...or just get up and go do something else...just not as easy as it sounds when you buried under 10 lbs of computer gear.

My wife is the same way as we bother have laptops, lap rests, external mouses (even both with low profile receivers), power cords running off to the wall, etc.

Actually, I have permanent knee damage from years and years of propping my legs up across to a coffee table with my legs and knees slightly been backwards. Also, I have heel challenges for similar repetitive injury.

The point? The iPad has already replaced almost all of my laptop usage. I have still had to use it a couple of times. And at work, I am still using my desktops because of student monitoring software, display their desktops onto mine, and vice-versa as the work in Photoshop, etc. But already, in the limited time I have had the iPad, I am feeling a much greater deal of freedom. COMPLETELY worth $500, for sure!!

Now...I just need to decide if I want to pay 360/year for even greater freedom and exchange my wifi for a 3g.

eric841105
05-05-2010, 07:29 AM
I just think that ipad might only be the "transition" product... better stuff are coming soon.

lokerd
05-05-2010, 08:12 AM
I just think that ipad might only be the "transition" product... better stuff are coming soon.

No doubt. I am sure there are LOTS of cool things coming in the future...I can hardly wait. In fact, many of have been anticipating a tablet like this since Star Trek featured a tablet for Picard.

And this is like saying the bag cell phone was a transition for the hand held. Or a tape cassette for the CD...or the perhaps a better analogy...the CD for the DVD...or DVD for Blue Ray.

There is always going to be a newer better camera, car, computer, etc. coming soon. In the mean time, I used my iPad for several hours that normally would have been laptop time last night...and enjoyed it much more so.

sanminleow
05-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Just got myself an iphone ( yeah i know i'm slow :P), gotta see how it impressess me first, before i set my mind on ipad!

dar512
05-07-2010, 10:50 AM
I got a 32G wi-fi this week for gaming on the train. I like it pretty well so far.

the8thark
05-07-2010, 01:20 PM
I dunno now. $750 Australian is a bit rich for a 32GB wifi. I dunno if I can afford that kind of cash. At that priceit makes me think. That's almost half the cost of a new imac. having that ipad would be very nice but now it all comes down to can I afford it.

And my budget will tell me yes or no i guess.

xiaobai1106
05-09-2010, 05:10 AM
no..there isn't anything it can do my iphone can't.

actually, my iphone does MORE than the ipad does...

not saying a giant sized ipod touch isn't a bad thing, it is just far too feature-less for me to want it. I will be putting the money I was intending to spend on this ipad towards the new macbook pros once they refresh that product line.

Well said, that's exactly what i think. Steve has had way better ideas than this ipad thing :)

the8thark
05-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Just remember all of the design for most Apple products is not Steve. It's the genius of Jonathon Ive.

pat3ck
05-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Yes, I just did. 16GB Wi-Fi version only.

Next thing to buy: Accessories. Looking for Cases and Screen Protectors.

samford2010
05-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Same thing for me...I just bought 16GB wifi version. I really love it. Im going to buy new one for my bestfriend. I know she will love it.;D

MasterxAce
05-12-2010, 11:46 AM
That's an awesome idea. You should patent it.

you can do this with a pdf to epub converter... read it right from ibooks

iancheow
05-13-2010, 05:45 AM
I will definitely buy the ipad. I live in Singapore and must wait till July or August before i can lay my hand on it.

dar512
05-14-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm sure the Ipad is not for everyone. But I think being able to play first person shooters on the train is brilliant.

The PSP is dying off. The DS is ok but the screen is small and the input not conducive to FPSs. I did consider a netbook, but they can't handle newer games and I'd be stuck with a small touchpad - and a lot of netbook touchpads are not so good.

I think the Ipad has the potential to really take off for portable gaming.

The Applenator
05-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Just bought the Wi-Fi 32gb version and I love it! I love the "RowMote" app and love controlling my MAC and my 3 AppleTv's :)

macgirl2423
05-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Hmmmmm.....Having a very serious mind debate.
Pros: much lighter than my MBP in my book bag
would be great for taking notes in class
could serve as my laptop so I could leave my MBP at home (its much safer there for $1300+dollars)
can do the same thing as a kindle, which I have really always wanted.
good price
since it has iWork, I can work on projects and papers on it.
I have the money for one right now :]
there are probably more just cant think right now

Cons:
there will inevitably be a nicer version coming out within the next year or so that may or may not be cheaper and will have more features.
with a MBP, and two iPods including an iPod touch, I don't really NEED it.
no camera, although I don't really use skype or iChat a lot anymore

Conclusion: I will probably buy one soon because inevitably, with my plans to own a car by the end of the summer, I won't be able to afford it if I don't buy it now. Plus it will be a very useful device for scheduling, writing down assignments, note taking, and various other types of school work. I suppose I can always keep it in very good condition and sell it when the newer version comes out, and with a couple hundred more dollars be able to purchase the new version.

osxx
05-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Could not stand it any longer just ordered online since they are sold out in Houston.

My_MAC_MBP
05-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Hello,

Can't find 64GB 3G version in Apple or WorstBuy stores. Ordered from Apple Store and should have by June 11.

doctorxring
05-28-2010, 12:27 AM
I was going to wait for a 2G iPad. But then in an epiphany I saw the light...

Get the iPad 1G and skip the 2G and see what 3G brings.

Took delivery yesterday of a WiFi + 3G.

:0)

Doug in Alaska
05-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Just picked up the 64GB, WiFi + 3G for my wife's birthday. She won't see it for another two weeks and the suspense is killing me. Not sure yet if it would fit my needs but I'm sure she will love it.

My_MAC_MBP
06-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Hello,

Well just checked my order status and my iPad has been prepared for shipment. Should not be too long now. Picked up an Incase Convertible Book Jacket for $22.51 from BestBuy. It just needs an iPad. :)

efficient88
06-02-2010, 03:59 AM
Yes, i will buy an ipad, but not now.I prefer to wait for more feedback from other user.

;D

MinaMACMan
06-02-2010, 11:37 AM
So I initially responded to the poll by picking "I don't know yet, Steve's mind control isn't working right"

I wish I can change it now. I bought the 16GB WiFi +3G and I love it.

It is also interesting to note that when I initially responded to this threat, more people were going for the WiFi only version, and now I see a nice healthy spike for the 3G version. I wonder why?

dtravis7
06-02-2010, 11:52 AM
I was at Best Buy with a friend last night and really got to use the iPad quite a lot. Was looking for a new Video Card for my gaming rig, and Best Buy has all their PC's and Macs locked down to a very few sites making my searching for info on the ATI card I was considering impossible.

I tried the search on an iPad and it went right in! So used it a lot and love it. Now I for sure want one. Just need to get the $$$ together. Just shocked how snappy and fast the iPad really is.