Apple Express and Dial Up Fun

B

Buzzeditor

This is a tricky one.

I've just spent out on an Airport card for my girlfriend's iBook, bought a Apple Express and a D-Link 300T modem in anticipation of going wireless when my broadband gets activated.

Then I call Homecall who are meant to be providing my broadband and they tell me that my application has been refused as there are too many people in my area already on broadband and that they'll have to authorise BT again and that will take another three weeks.

So is there anyway I can get the iBook to connect wireless but using the internal modem, the D-Link or a regular dial up modem (I've got an old PC one kicking around somewhere)?

I'd like to know if it is possible before I start configuring and playing around with cables. I was think of plugging the Airport Express LAN port into the phoneline and hoping that the iBook would transmit it's internal modem info to the Airport Express and down the phoneline.

Also, Homecall got me signed up for £24.99 for broadband and free calls (but without the broadband) for a year and then I read on their website today; special offer broadband and free phonecalls £19.99. I might try to cancel my contract as they haven't provided the goods, leave it a week and join up again on a cheaper rate...

Are Homecall any good?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The AirPort Extreme base station has a modem for wireless dialup, but your AirPort Express can't be used in that way.

Unless you can figure out some way to use the PC's modem, Internet Connection Sharing, and a wired ethernet connection to the AirPort Express.

Just plugging a phone line into the ethernet port on the AirPort Express won't do anything (Except temporarily ground your phone line so you can't make calls.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.