• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

motion 4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17in GS Macbook Pro 3.06ghz, 4gb ram, 500 hdd 7200 rpm,9400m and gt graphics
hi all

Im new to motion 4 and been playing around and what i need to do is a smooth zoom.
What im doing is i have 9 pictures tiled around and i want to zoom into one smoothly ive tried with the dolby camera but it still has zoom stop zoom stop motion when i do it from the mouse is there any other way.also is there any way to slow down the speed while i try to record a fade in and out on a photo as each second i want to make a photo fade in totaling 9 seconds but by the time i have press rec and play half a second is gone.

If ive confused anyone please say

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
So, if I understand this - you have 9 pictures in a tiled array (I assume a 3x3 square?) and you want to be able to pan/zoom into a single picture and fade out?

There are a couple of ways you can do this that I can think of:

If using Motion (some operations may be out of order, and this is probably a bit abbreviated, it's been a while since I've needed to use Motion and last time I used it, I had used 3D mode):
1) Scan in all of your pictures
2) create a project in motion with the length you need it to be
3) Import each picture into Motion
4) Lay them all out where you want them
5) Define a camera to start that looks at all the pictures
6) Set some keyframes to define the start and end times of the motion you want to perform.
7) Pan/zoom the camera to the target location at the second keyframe location so Motion knows that's where you want to end up
8) Set a fade out - you can either do this in motion or handle it in Final Cut

Option 2:

using Final Cut:
1) Scan in your photos
2) Create a new picture in your favorite photo editing software with all of the photos tiled the way you want, save that picture
3) Import the picture into FCP
4) Put the picture on the timeline and set for the length you want it to be displayed
5) Double click the picture on the timeline to bring it into the editor window
6) On the motion tab, set some keyframes - 1 where you want the motion/zoom/pan to start, 1 where you want it to end (this way you have the full set of pictures on the screen for maybe a few seconds, then start your action) - then on the last key frame, set how you want the image to look (zoom/pan/etc.) through the controls.

just some thoughts on how I would probably try to do what it sounds like you're doing

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Nethfel

i'll give that a try tonight at home

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I whipped up a quick tutorial video to help you through doing what you want to do in Motion - it's using Motion 3 (I have FCS2, not FCS3) but if things having changed too much, you should be able to get a good enough idea of how to make it work on your version of Motion.

The tutorial you can get here:

http://www.ramicom.com/nethfel/phototutorial.mp4

The output if you want to see it you can get here:

http://www.ramicom.com/nethfel/SSarrayoutput.mp4

This was real quick and dirty to get you going, and the output file I uploaded for you to see is much smaller than the original as converted it to an mp4 from the .mov output it originally was..

Hope that helps!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nethfel you are a legend, thank you so much for the tutorial video it was excellent step by step you should do some on youtube if you haven't already.
thank you for spending the time on the video, the student has learnt some wisdom from a master.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate the compliment, but trust me, I'm not master :) There are MANY on here with far superior knowledge then I - I just try to help where I can.

Was that pretty much what you were looking to do? I was guessing on your description. Post back with how yours turned out, I'm sure with your spending more time and focusing on the finished product it will be vastly superior to what I threw out there.

Nothing on youtube instructional at this point (only posted a video I made from COD:WAW zombies) - I think I'd need a bit more courage before I put myself out that far in public view ;)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah it was exactley what i want to do and it worked perfectly, i still have some tweekin to do but once its finished i'll send you it..

Once again thanks for that awesome post and video tutorial

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.