New iPad Question

Reaction score
Hiya,

I got a 13" Macbook and a iPod Touch 16gb already, but do not know if I should stick to my iPod Touch or also get an iPad when it gets released in the UK.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
We don't know what you should do either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook,2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD
^^ haha awesome answer. I'm not sure I really wanna invest in one other than to **** my GirlFriend off. "haha my (basically an ipod touch) is bigger than yours!!!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Well, I would think that iPad is a really hot rod iPod lol.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hiya,

I got a 13" Macbook and a iPod Touch 16gb already, but do not know if I should stick to my iPod Touch or also get an iPad when it gets released in the UK.

Just buy it...problem solved!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 1TB HD | ATI Radeon 4670 256MB | iPhone (1st gen)
Yeah I know my hubby barely saw it and is going to buy one cause of the iBooks stuff. And the price is right if you ask me :D

Besides how can you have too many apple products?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
As I see it, the iPad is just another compromised gadget without any real niche of its own. It isn't enough of a computer to take the place of a Macbook. It isn't a phone. So just exactly what is it? It's just another piece of hardware to carry around. Everyone would have to carry it and a phone. Most of us would need to carry it, a phone, and a computer. What's the point? A 10" Macbook with a touch sensitive fold back screen would have made a lot more sense. Add a phone feature to that and we would have exactly what we need. I say "Phooey!" to the iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
I want a MAc all-in-one that is voice activated. No more typing. Just speak. We have the technology.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I want a MAc all-in-one that is voice activated. No more typing. Just speak. We have the technology.

Yeah, that would work well in any scenario where you aren't the only person in the room speaking. Crowded bus? HAHA! Have fun with that one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yeah, that would work well in any scenario where you aren't the only person in the room speaking. Crowded bus? HAHA! Have fun with that one!

There is such a thing as voice recognition. Some of the final versions of the old MacOS (8 & 9) had voice recognition for log in purposes. The system could be trained for your voice and only your voice and wouldn't respond to other people. The problems came in when you got a cold....

Not new technology.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2.4GHz
As I see it, the iPad is just another compromised gadget without any real niche of its own. It isn't enough of a computer to take the place of a Macbook. It isn't a phone. So just exactly what is it? It's just another piece of hardware to carry around. Everyone would have to carry it and a phone. Most of us would need to carry it, a phone, and a computer. What's the point? A 10" Macbook with a touch sensitive fold back screen would have made a lot more sense. Add a phone feature to that and we would have exactly what we need. I say "Phooey!" to the iPad.

I think it's a freaking awesome Idea! I've been waiting forever for apple to make a tablet. The first time I seen the modbook i was blown away but I figured if I waited around apple would make one of there own. when I seen the ipad in the vid with Jobs showing it off I thought it was love at first sight!!!!

But then he started toying with it and I was like hmmm where's the pen?? I know it's got a keyboard but I can take notes faster in class if I can write with a pen, helps when I need to draw a diagram or quick graph too.

Then i check the spec's wireless+3G... COOL, but what gives with the 64gb hard drive?(largest HD offered) Why not use a 128 GB solid state drive out of the macbook air?? 64GB isn't much space for a serious user, A 1 GHz processor? I wasn't really planing on buying 2 or three computers and a phone. What I really wanted was one kick *** tablet That played dual roles as a modest computer, organizer, sketchpad/notepad. something light and easy to carry that didn't obstruct my view in class.
All that said 10 hrs of battery life sounds pretty nice.

unno overall I think i agree:
"It's just another piece of hardware to carry around. Everyone would have to carry it and a phone. Most of us would need to carry it, a phone, and a computer. What's the point? A 10" Macbook with a touch sensitive fold back screen would have made a lot more sense."

I thought that apple would have took a look at the mod book or the Lenovo ThinkPad X200.

unno:[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Most of you nerds? Most people don't need half of what their laptop offers them. E-textbooks ftw!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Most of you nerds? Most people don't need half of what their laptop offers them. E-textbooks ftw!

I don't get people's fascination with E-textbooks. The light from the screen strains your eyes and makes it difficult to read.

Especially if you are like me and love to read...I can read a book for 8-10hrs straight sometimes and I can't even imagine doing that with a notebook let a lone on a tablet. >_<"

Reaction score
The iPad uses flash memory and not a hard drive. I believe that the iPad is aimed at people like me that have a desktop and are looking for something on the road for basic tasks without buying another computer. There are no real PDAs anymore most of them are smartphones and frankly I'm not interested in them as the screens are hard to read and let's not even get started on contract prices (I would get the WiFi only model) I have a company provided Crackberry curve so I don't really need a personal smart phone and don't really like having my phone in with my organizer type stuff. I can't wait to test drive one and it coupled with my online storage account will be great for me while on the road. The only feature I wish that they had added was the iSight so that my wife and I could video conference while on the road. Maybe next model.

C

chas_m

As I see it, the iPad is just another compromised gadget without any real niche of its own. It isn't enough of a computer to take the place of a Macbook. It isn't a phone. So just exactly what is it?

If you haven't completely closed your mind on this subject, here's two articles that I found totally changed my view of the iPad:

The iPad's future shock | Laptop | iPhone Central | Macworld

and

stevenf.com - I need to talk to you about computers. I?ve been...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.