Installed Only Windows XP, Problem

Reaction score
Alright so, after many problems using Windows XP, I've decided that I wanted to go back to using OS X Leopard. Only thing is, I don't know how to do that. I installed only Windows XP on my computer, so there isn't any hint of Leopard OS X, so how do I go about this? I popped in my Leopard OS X CD, rebooted my computer, but I cannot boot from the CD.

I'm just lost and it's starting to bug me. Can anyone please help me?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
To boot from your Leopard install disc, hold down the C key as you turn on your machine. Does that work or are you unable to boot from the disc? Also, as an aside, make sure you have a suitable and comprehensive backup before you do this - installing OS X will wipe out the data on your Mac.

OP
D
Reaction score
Holding down the C key as it reboots (and assuming I hold it down after the "beep") does nothing. There is first a beep, then a white screen without an apple logo, and then it goes to a black screen that asks what OS to boot, and of course, the only option I have is Windows XP. And yes, Leopard OS X is in my drive while I am doing this. I cannot boot from it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Since in essence what you have now is a windows laptop I am guess ( yes guessing ) you will have to completely wipe that drive and start all over. With that said windows wont boot from usb so....need either to borrow/ buy a new hard drive or find some to format that drive for you.

Clay

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Holding down the C key as it reboots (and assuming I hold it down after the "beep") does nothing. There is first a beep, then a white screen without an apple logo, and then it goes to a black screen that asks what OS to boot, and of course, the only option I have is Windows XP. And yes, Leopard OS X is in my drive while I am doing this. I cannot boot from it.

Reboot the machine and hold down the "OPTION" key, not the C key. A icon of the OS X Leopard DVD will appear on the screen along with the one for Windows. Choose the Leopard DVD and proceed from there.

Regards.

Reaction score
For those unfamiliar with mac keyboard, the "Option" key is the one marked 'alt" and is located between the ctrl and cmd keys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.