Black Out Screen For Radio?

Reaction score
I enjoy listening to music on my Mac, Pandora, CDs, etc. and I'm wondering if it's possible to turn off my screen entirely while listening. I understand that the screen uses a lot of energy even if I turn the brightness of the screen all the way down so in the interest of saving energy, can I just turn it off but keep listening to whatever I'm listening to?

I searched for info concerning Mac users who are blind, figuring that blind persons may have a way of turning the screen off because totally blind people wouldn't need it on in most cases. But I wasn't able to find info about turning the screen off there either.

OP
I
Reaction score
I found the answer myself a few minutes after posting the question above so, no need to reply! I found that if I just set the screen to sleep after it' inactive for just 1 minute, the screen turns off but my glorious music stays on!

Sorry for bothering you to read this thread but, maybe it will help someone else? I hope so. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I understand that the screen uses a lot of energy even if I turn the brightness of the screen all the way down so...

You understand incorrectly, but I'm glad you found a solution. You can also set a hot corner, which is a lot less annoying when you're working on the computer.

C

chas_m

Here's how I do it, slightly different from your method:

1. Start up the radio program in question.
2. Hide it (this is so any changes in status won't disrupt step three)
3. Set a hot corner to sleep the screen ONLY.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.