PowerBook G4 is slow on download and fast on upload. Help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 15" PowerBook 1.3Ghz, 1gb, 120gb hd
Hello,

I would like to say hi to everyone! I have been reading the forums since long before I decided to get my Mac. It feels good to become a poster!!

Ok, now I am having problems with slow download speeds. When I first had my computer it was lightning fast. Now after using it on dial up all weekend, the dl speed has gone down.

I tested at dslreports and this is what I got:

2005-05-16 22:37:46 EST: 84 / 477
Your download speed : 86113 bps, or 84 kbps.
A 10.5 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed is much faster than down.. have you tweaked?
Your upload speed : 489038 bps, or 477 kbps.

I am using a linksys cable modem and wireless router.

Can someone suggest some methods to try to refresh my settings to enable full speeds?

Thanks!!
:mac:

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Judging by the time, I'd say there is heavy traffic with other people using your same provider all at the same time as you are. What speeds does your provider guarantee? You might want to give them a call.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! I did check on the other computer and it is getting about the same results. I is probobly due to the storms we have had over the weekend. I will give the cable company a call.

Thanks!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It turns out that it is my stupid wireless router's problem!! I have had problems with this thing ever since I bought it.

It is only a Wireless B. I was thinking about getting a Wireless G, but i don't know if my laptop has Wireless G. Can I check somehow?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
mblphnlvr said:
It turns out that it is my stupid wireless router's problem!! I have had problems with this thing ever since I bought it.

It is only a Wireless B. I was thinking about getting a Wireless G, but i don't know if my laptop has Wireless G. Can I check somehow?

Thanks!

If the laptop that you are talking about is your PB with Airport Extream, then yes, it is G. G won't really increase you internet speeds though.

-Chris

R

Rogue Agent

mblphnlvr said:

Thanks!

Upgrading to a "G" wireless router won't improve your internet speeds. "B" is 11Mbps which is faster than any cable or DSL provider offers now (unless you are paying out the *** for it). Depending on the brand you have it might not be routing properly. There is also a very distinct possibility that this is due to interference. With how prevalent wireless is, it might be possible that someone near you is using the same channel as you. Interference can also be received from cordless phones as well. The best way to figure out whether it is your provider or wireless router would be to unplug the wireless and plug your computer in directly with ethernet to the cable/DSL modem.

Try those things and let us know what you find out.

Reaction score
are you using COX or SBC out there? bc i just moved from lubbock, just graduated from Tech. I had cox cable out there for 3 years and it has got to be the worst high speed internet ever. It would always go down for a few hours a couple times a week later @ night. It was really slow....at one point i was getting DIAL UP speeds for about a week. then i came to dallas where i am now and using comcast...and it's blazing fast all the time. and my parents have it it for over 2 years and i don't think they've ever complained about it or mentioned it ever went down. i really doubt it's your PB my guess is that it's just your ISP out there which is prolly the same providers for lubbock.

Reaction score
mblphnlvr said:
I am using a linksys cable modem and wireless router.
I haven't read the above posts, but I would like to say that I've had the same problem. I have (had) the same arrangement and my connection was pretty much horrible.

I lost complete access for about a week and as it turns out, my slow internet and finally the lack of internet, was a result of my provider upgrading thier systems. The cable modem was no longer compatible and some people had to replace it. Afterwords...and now, my internet is much much faster.

Aside from this, I can't really help you; I have no knowledge in the field. Try contacting your internet provider to see what's up if you haven't already. Sorry if I repeated, I didn't read the above posts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.