• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Easter Eggs in OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I have found and tested (in 10.6 by myself) to see if they work, some easter eggs in OS X. And my question is are they more that you know of?

Here are the ones I know of. And yes I know some use old terminal code which is more a unix egg then a OS X egg but still it's there.

Terminal Eggs.

1. First do the following:

Open the finder
Open Applications
Open Utilities
Open Terminal
type "emacs"; click enter
Press ESC + X at the same time
Now there will me a blue M-x at the bottom of the terminal window. And there you can type some things then press enter.

tetris - for a game of tetris
psychotherapist - for a doctor chatbot
snake - for a game of snake
life - for a weird demo of lots of @ symbols
yow - for a random natty phrase
pong - for a game of pong

2. type “emacs -batch -l dunnet” in terminal to play a text based mud game.

3. type in "cat /usr/share/calendar/calendar.history" in terminal for a "on this day in history" for every 365 days of the year. One fact per day in a list.

Other Eggs - quote tags there for ease of reading but I typed in all the text myself.

1. Invert your screen.
Press control+option+apple/command+8

2. "Suck" Minimize Effect
Open a terminal window.
Type the following:
"defaults write com.apple.dock mineffect -string suck" (no quotation marks)
For the change to take effect, you need to restart the dock. You can either do this by:
Restarting your computer.
OR
By opening the Activity Monitor application (should be in Applications > Utilities), finding the Dock application, and forcing it to quit. Once it quits, it will restart automatically.
(If you want to go back to either of the other effects, you can just make the change in your system preferences. Or, reuse the line above and replace suck with either genie or scale.)

3. Fun with weather widgit
Weather for Nowhere is an easter egg for Mac OS X Tiger only. Open up Dashboard and launch your Weather Widget. Pressing the Apple (command) key and the Alt (option) key and clicking the current weather icon will set your location to Nowhere. If you hold down the two keys while clicking, it will cycle through all of the Widget’s weather status images.

4. Apple tells you a joke (tested by friends but not me so not sure if it works)
Enable “Apple Speakable Items” under Speech Recognition in the Speech Preference Pane. If you ask your Mac “tell me a joke” it will respond with a knock-knock joke.

5. Minimise or other such action like expose etc slow mo.
Hold shift the perform the action for it to be in slow mo.

Does anyone know of any other Easter Eggs in OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Thanks, I like the screen inversion, will play with the others later

Sorry I have nothing to add

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
"Psychotherapist" seems to be missing from my Mac. A shame, because that's the one I really need! :)

Reaction score
Found this one a while back, but couldn't find the BM for the page, until now
Code:
1. In the "applications" folder, open the "utilities" folder.
2. Open the terminal
3. Paste this line of code:

grep LOTR /usr/share/calendar/calendar.history

4. Enjoy

Also, a quick chat with my friend Mr. Google revealed these amongst others. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.