can we use PC fonts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
simply put, i have about 2,000 true type fonts, and then some of those other ones (cant think right now) i really miss them!!

Can i use them on my mac? Also, if so, how can i use them ALL without slowing donw my comp? i remember something about OS9 using the documnt folder er something?

thanks in advance.

Reaction score
IM pretty sure you can't use PC fonts on a Mac. Also, if you have alot of fonts installed, it can cause your comupter starting up to be slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
TrueType fonts work on Mac OS X too, don't know about other font types though.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
yea i know theres some font manager isnt there? PC runs real slow with more fonts, mac i know there was a way around it

E

EvoMac

I was able to load a "PC" font on my machine without a problem, it just goes right into the font book. The one thing is that the preview comes up a bit odd, but when typing it looks fine.

**The "Star Wars" in my signature was a pc font that I downloaded for it. Font was called Star Wars opened or something like that.

J

Jefe3223

Watch yourself when putting fonts on your mac, too many can slam the computer. There have been many a case of computer slow down due to fonts. watch yourself, that's my only warning.

I

iFX

where do we put the fonts? in what folder? Because I will be transfering about 1500 fonts from my external hard drive and they are all PC fonts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
not all pc fonts will work, TT will. as far as font management, DONT use font book. it cant manage more than 50 or so without problems. I strongly recommend suitcase before adding those fonts, or your mac will crash and burn(just a phrase) once you add all those fonts.
fonts go in 1 of 2 places, you should add those here if you are willing to risk it with font book:
mac hd>library>fonts.
theres also:
mac hd>users>your username>library>fonts. this is more for apps that install their own fonts necessary to open the app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I have over 500 fonts in my PC, but after transfer them to my iBook only about 400 resulted TrueType, and even some of them doesn't seem to work so good. Too much fonts slow the load time of Office, Flash also seemed to havesome problems when i changed too much the font face, but most of the timei had no problems.
Now i have deleted a lot and have less than 250, i use FontBook to administrate them w/o any problem.
Path to fonts: Home>Library>Fonts

I

iFX

I use Adobe Photoshop CS / Macromedia Studio MX / Adobe Illustrator a lot... where should I load all my fonts so that it doesnt slow down my mac but also where I can use those fonts in those programs? Do I need to change any settings in the programs?

Note: I have 1500 fonts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it will cause lots of problems no matter where you put them, unless youre using a font management app besides fontbook, cause then, they are all open, all the time, every app you open will have to read every font, etc. but anywhere you put them, they will be available to use in open apps.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
what do you mean anywhere i put them being available in open apps?

Is this where i put a link in my fonts or something? I know theres SOME WAY other than a management prog (i think?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
There are many good OS X fonts IMO :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MadSkillzMan said:
what do you mean anywhere i put them being available in open apps?

Is this where i put a link in my fonts or something? I know theres SOME WAY other than a management prog (i think?)
I mean even if they are all on your desktop, if you add them using font book, they will remain open. if you drop them into hd>library> fonts, they are automatically activated by the system.

M

meanopause

even if you deactivate them in font book, osx still loads them up at startup. So just like macman said, get extensis suitcase or something. i have way too many fonts on my comp but it still runs smoof. Although, suitcase auto-activation is not compatible with cs2 at the moment.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
ok, so if i just have a SEPARATE font folder, i can still use them all within a program using fontbook?

I installed a font i HAD on my desktop, it just said it installed it...shows up in fontbook, but i deleted it from the desktop..so i take it its now in system fonts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Font Book will cope with 200 or so without a problem but you will need a third party program for many more than that.
If you are using Tiger it would be a good idea to check compatibility with 3rd party software first.

I usually install them one at a time though font book by double clicking the font file. That just makes sure they will work without problems. (Tiger's Font Book has "Font Validation" built in)

Installed fonts automatically go into the user library fonts (Your collection) You can change them to system wide by dragging them to the computer collection in Font Book. (Can do the same in finder obviously)

OSX can use TrueType, PostScript Type 1 and Open Type fonts. (Most MS Fonts are fine)
OSX can NOT use the old OS9 bit-mapped fonts.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
thats it otf fonts, i coudlnt think of it!

i have some old adobe fonts, shouldnt those work?

and bitmapped fonts dont work? so what the "classic" fonts we have are just new old ones?

I have a zip disk with like 50mb of these old adobe fonts i got from a mac someone gave me.

but pretty much, it IS possible to have thousands of fonts, use them, AND keep a speedy machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, not using font book, but yes. also, many classic fonts cant be used , though there are apps for converting and editing them. Dont forget the old Multiple Master fonts, but as far as classic fonts, they used to be in 2 parts, 1 printer font, 1 screen font, you needed both to work correctly, OTF have all that, plus glyphs and ligatures built in. some classic fonts may work, and some older adobe TT fonts from classic can cause many apps to crash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.