Which Windows 7?

Pud

Reaction score
Hello,

My iMac was recently infected with several viruses on the windows partition, which resulted in me deleting the partition and reformatting the whole mac. I attempted to put my dad's unused copy of windows 7 on, but it was an upgrade version so the product key wouldn't work. I then attempted to reinstall XP but I could only find the disc and had no idea where the product key had gotten to, although I can't remember if I had had to enter a product key the first time I installed XP on my mac.

Anyway, the question I had was if this version of windows 7 would be a usable one? I'm fairly certain it is but just wanted reassurance, (don't want to waste $130)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium x86 (32-bit) DVD - OEM at Memory Express Computers

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm going to assume it's an OEM System Builder's full version of Windows 7 Home Premium, although they only say "OEM". It should work.

Also, I'm not sure I understand why your father's unused upgrade copy of Windows 7 would not work. As far as I'm aware, the upgrade of Windows 7 Home Premium will work just like a full install and will activate over the net. That's what I bought and it worked fine.

Regards.

OP
P

Pud

Reaction score
Well, it was a Vista upgrade version, and I'd get through the installation but then I got to the registering and it kept telling me the product key was invalid. I just assumed that it was because it was an upgrade version that I was having troubles with it. Although, I'm not sure if I remember having to enter a product key when I first installed XP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.