verizon internet access

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook g4 1.33, 768 ram
does anyone have this of have used this. from verizon wireless you can buy a "Mobile Office Kit". This is were you can plug your phone into your computer through usb and get onto their network. i have seen many people do this through windows computers, but have not seen this done through any mac computers. can it be done? thanks in advance.

B

Brigrat

macman88 said:
does anyone have this of have used this. from verizon wireless you can buy a "Mobile Office Kit". This is were you can plug your phone into your computer through usb and get onto their network. i have seen many people do this through windows computers, but have not seen this done through any mac computers. can it be done? thanks in advance.

I do not know aboutVerizon, but I do this on Sprint all the time. The default access number for most mobile providers is #777 when you plug your phone in, it will show up as a USB modem, and you just have to set it to dial #777, and you shouyld connect right up. I suspect Verizon is like sprint in that if you buy their "kit" you will pay twice as much as if you just bought your own OEM cable from someone like 3G cables. Check out www.verizonusers.com for more details, their sister site www.sprintusers.com is where I learned all the ins and outs of internet over my cell.

For those who are interested, I get about 110kbps, so aproximately twice the speed of dial up. Sometimes I get speeds as high as 140.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I used the instructions on http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/mobile_office/, along with a Motorola V60 and a Motorola USB data cable ($20) and was able to get online at very low speed. (14.4; enough to check eMail.)

The above page warns it may not work anymore, and I can't verify it because I'm out of the service area at the moment. On that page, there is a linked Yahoo group; maybe someone there can help you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.