Tasks on desktop? iCal?

M

Moadib

From the "desktop" thread I noticed some people (well, one or two!) had tasks / to-do items listed on the desktop. How is this done? It would be quite nice to open up my desktop and have the one or two tasks for that day listed there.

Actually iCal is the one area of the Mac I find disappointing so far. Everything else "just works" really smoothly, but iCal seems a bit unintuitive, no repeating tasks, tasks scrolling off when past due rather than showing late etc.

Anyway, I digress - any help would be appreciated.

OP
N

normal1

Moadib said:
From the "desktop" thread I noticed some people (well, one or two!) had tasks / to-do items listed on the desktop. How is this done? It would be quite nice to open up my desktop and have the one or two tasks for that day listed there.

Actually iCal is the one area of the Mac I find disappointing so far. Everything else "just works" really smoothly, but iCal seems a bit unintuitive, no repeating tasks, tasks scrolling off when past due rather than showing late etc.

Anyway, I digress - any help would be appreciated.

Actually, just last night I setup iCal to beep at me every two weeks (on pay day) - I dont know about the tasks you're referring to tho

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
no repeating tasks
???

Actually iCal is very powerful in that respect, but the To-Do list isn't.
I've got a separate calendar for my tasks, where I can just set up an appointment and enter the 'repeat' information as I need it.

There are also far more notify options (I have itunes play a certain file to remind me of my tasks)...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
N/A yet
Automator might be what your looking for which is located in Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
lilimacfreak said:
Automator might be what your looking for which is located in Tiger.

err. care to explain?

I believe he is referring to a repeating event(such as school everyday, for example) where he just sets the iCal option under repeat: to every weekday for example.

Automator is more for things like:
1. having safari locate the full sized linked images
2. downloading them to the desktop
3. importing to iPhoto library
4. Resizing to 1024 X 768.
5. Exporting to a web page
6. FTPing up to a server
7. cleaning up files on desktop

:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
N/A yet
Ok I wasn't sure it didnt seem so clean to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.