Different Sized Dual Monitors

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
Is it possible to have dual monitors on an iMac? And if it is possible, does it need to be the same size as the iMac itself? Could anyone tell me what I need and what I would need to do? Thanks! :biohazard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
BurntSmore said:
Is it possible to have dual monitors on an iMac? And if it is possible, does it need to be the same size as the iMac itself? Could anyone tell me what I need and what I would need to do? Thanks! :biohazard

Mirroring to a second monitor is possible right out of the box. You will need an adapter from apple to convert to the mini VGA out on the iMac, though. It is perfectly fine to have two different screen sizes (I have the built-in and a 55" bigscreen hooked up.) If you want to span two screens then you will need a hack called screen spanning dr. This is not supported by apple and can voide your warranty.

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

-Chris

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
Thanks! So there is no real use for the mini VGA port in the back? Since it can only mirror the screen...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
BurntSmore said:
Thanks! So there is no real use for the mini VGA port in the back? Since it can only mirror the screen...

Depends on the user I suppose. Since I have a BT mouse and keyboard and I have the mini VGA hooked up to a bigscreen, I can sit on my couch and surf the net, watch movies, or whatever. Due to the potential for warranty issues, no comment on whether or not I also use Screen Spanning Dr. to span the screens. Let's just say that IF I did, it would work well for movies I would edit as when I'm done editing them, I can just drag them over to the bigscreen and 'screen' the final product. ;)

-Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.