• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Good Compression from miniDV to DVD/Archive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
ok guys, im doing a website where we blow up an appliance weekly with a potato gun and a 4lb peice of metal. Truly halarious. The clips are only a few seconds a peice. 45sec-min long. I edit the multi angles in FCP, fix up interlacing with magic bullet, and finally compress with AEFX to mp4. 1.5mb generally, not bad at all.

However, i decided once we hit like 100 appliance deaths, release a DVD. Id like to keep the files on my computer, at 720x480, with no loss. HOwever, a friggen 45 sec clip, will be like 180MB as a DV stream.

Now in windows, 45sec would be about 20mb-40mb (iirc) at miniDV.

So what codec/compression rate can i use? audio isnt much of an issue, mono, 3200khz. The video is most important, as theres alot of high speed flying objects.

Thanks ina dvance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I know DivX has some pretty powerful compression that can still keep the footage pretty clean. I don't know as far as compression rates... It's just really a matter of what you are willing to accept.

I do alot of broadcast work have found Mpeg-4 can cut things down plenty and still look decent when I take it back to digibeta. H.264 (The new codec that comes with Tiger) is supposed to really blow all other codecs out of the water... I haven't actually tried it yet.

By the way... What is your website? That sounds like something I HAVE to see.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
is it any different than the one that comes with FCP?

Im aware of divx, however i just get problems when working with it on mac. If youve ever used PC, check out VP6. Totally pwns divx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
I don't know any answers for your questions, I just wanted to tell you that it sounds like you are making the coolest website EVER! :) Where/when can we check this out?

-Chris

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
well its very very primitive, i only have 1 video up ATM, i have 1 more editied and one more on stock still so, ill get those up soon. i gotta talk to a guy who owns an FTP server to borrow a few megs.

Anyways its www.appliancedeath.cjb.net. G2 the videos page, youll find the 1 ive got so far.

thanks btw.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
ok im sitting here tinkering, the best i can get is like 30mb using some off brand built in codec with mac. Divx doesnt wanna cooperate with me today. 30mb for 45sec doesnt sound right to me.

How come i cant do Mpeg2? Mpeg4 is nice, however it doesnt allow full 720x480DV. This DVD has to be BEST quality, because of all the motion on the screen.

Is the new tiger codec available for download for older osx? I messed with the H.264 here and its nothing special. Im on osx3.9 btw.

Now i know my site is messed, but im out of college for the summer so i have some time to tinker. SLOWLY the graphics will look better, im notta website kinda guy.

Check in the next couple days, i have 1 finished im going to upload. We called it F You Radio lol.

Note: we never kinda kept in mind to keep this stuff clean, so uh its kinda R rated lol. language only.

thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
You should be able to use Compressor to do Mpeg 2... I'm not sure that Final Cut or AE will do it straight as an export.

I'm not sure what you mean as far as Mpeg 4 limiting your output size either... I output from FCP to Mpeg 4 (Best Quality) all the time and it looks flawless and keeps the files around 70-80mb for 45sec.

Someone correct me if I am wrong... But I don't believe you can get H.264 on Mac unless you get Tiger... Apple does have a habit of forcing us to make major upgrades for small features.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
well i have a version of H.261 H.263 and H2.64, however i think they kinda suck lol.

I found the MP4 full size rez, however im not cool with the 70mb thing. Divx is giving me 71MB for a 45sec clip. Now how can this be honestly? i mean look at some of the divx movies we download theyre amazing.

In fcp i tried exporting to Mp2, and it told me it had to be rendered first. However i just took a file, that i had PRE rendered, imported into the timeline and wanted to convert.

I remember having these problems when i first started on windows...so i guess i just hafta play until i find a great one.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
OK guys, problem solved. Just get a miniDV tape, and print to tape in FCP.

My site now has 3 videos up, DVDplayer, CDplayer, and Microwave. This week, and HP printer..possibly some windows 3.1 machines.

Now, i wont post anymore updates here. Dont wanna tick off the mods, its not nice to piggy back their mail server everytime i get farhter. SO. anyone wants to know updates, PM me a screen name (AIM/MSN/ICQ/Y!) or an email. Id be happy to answer any Q's. the site no longer looks like crap, the videos are getting smaller and better quality (thanks to magic bullet)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.