Is Safari worth sticking to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 Inch Quadcore iMac - first Apple
Hi Forummers,
The web page Tab bar in Safari is driving me nuts.
My iMac starts up about 20 plus Tabs when I power up but they are not Tabs I want.
Even if I overwrite them with my Tabs, if I shut down and power up again, all my Tabs are gone and the original ones are back Very frustrating.

Also, there is one Tab called "BOOKMARKS" and strangely enough, I bought my iMac in Singapore but when I turn it on in Vietnam, it comes up with heaps of newspaper pages written in Vietnamese - which I can't read.

Can any forummers please advise how I can fix these problems???

I asked two MacBook Pro friends here and they said not to use Safari but install Firefox. I did't really want to do this.

Kind regards.

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
Just get Firefox it's a better browser all round imo!

But I doubt you will do this if you have ignored your friends already ;)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Ultimately it's your decision. You need to take everyone response with a grain of salt and actually try out other browsers before you can really past judgment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Hi Forummers,
The web page Tab bar in Safari is driving me nuts.
My iMac starts up about 20 plus Tabs when I power up but they are not Tabs I want.
Even if I overwrite them with my Tabs, if I shut down and power up again, all my Tabs are gone and the original ones are back Very frustrating.

Also, there is one Tab called "BOOKMARKS" and strangely enough, I bought my iMac in Singapore but when I turn it on in Vietnam, it comes up with heaps of newspaper pages written in Vietnamese - which I can't read.

Can any forummers please advise how I can fix these problems???

I asked two MacBook Pro friends here and they said not to use Safari but install Firefox. I did't really want to do this.

Kind regards.

John

Might be an issue with not doing a clean install when u got it. Seems someone has set up Safari and it is doing exactly what it has been asked to do, therefore not a Safari problem but PEBKAC. Try adding a new Admin User and logging in there to see how Safari works in the default settings.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 Inch Quadcore iMac - first Apple
Hi all, thanks for the replies so far,
What I am trying to find out from experienced users is wether there is some way I can save web page tabs that I set up. With "Windows tabbed browsing" I can set it to save the current set of tabs I have set up.

It seems such a basic thing to do that I am sure there must be some way to do it. I have googled it but cannot find an answer.

My two friends who have changed to Macs did not even try to do it with with Safari. They just loaded Firefox as I will also if I can't figure out how to set tabs with Safari.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Look in Safari/Preferences to sort it your way;

Click for full size

Open new tabs in File Menu or Cmmd T or click + right hand end Tab area.
If u still have 10.6.1 and are getting odd things might be worth downloading and installing this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (OS X Leopard 10.5.8), Intel Core 2 Duo (2.53Ghz), 4GB RAM, 7200RPM/250GB HDD
I made the same thread a few weeks ago and ill tell you what they told me. Use whatever is best for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
I prefer Safari. You can choose for it to open up with tabs or not. I have mine set up to open up clean and fresh with only one page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
It sounds to me like what you're seeing isn't even the tab bar but rather the bookmarks bar. Try choosing View > Hide Bookmarks Bar and see if that fixes your problem. Or it's what Collin Bl mentioned and the preference is to open new windows with Tabs for Bookmarks Bar or some other unwanted setting.

If you're comfortable with Safari, don't further confuse yourself with other browsers (not to say that they're inherently more confusing); I wouldn't let such a minor issue sway your mind. Of course other browsers offer different features, but unless you're discontent with what you can do or seek a different workflow, trying to learn a new application might not be worth it (despite what rabid evangelists will impose on you).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
I reckon the point about the bookmarks bar is the right one. If you want to keep some of those bookmarks, just right click on the one's you don't want and select Delete at the bottom of the drop-down menu. The kind of 'tab' behaviour you describe doesn't match Safari - which I have no problems with. I have begun to dislike Firefox simply because it will insist on checking for new add-ons on start-up, when I really want it to get active, instead of on shut-down, when I couldn't care less what it does! :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I reckon the point about the bookmarks bar is the right one. If you want to keep some of those bookmarks, just right click on the one's you don't want and select Delete at the bottom of the drop-down menu. The kind of 'tab' behaviour you describe doesn't match Safari - which I have no problems with. I have begun to dislike Firefox simply because it will insist on checking for new add-ons on start-up, when I really want it to get active, instead of on shut-down, when I couldn't care less what it does! :)

You can disable that feature under under preferences, updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I reckon the point about the bookmarks bar is the right one. If you want to keep some of those bookmarks, just right click on the one's you don't want and select Delete at the bottom of the drop-down menu. )

Or even easier just drag them off to a puff of smoke :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.