Usenet Downloading with Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Hi,

I eagarly await my new mac however I just wanted to clarify a few things please?

On Windows, I use a program called Newsleecher to download content via a usenet service. The fomat that Newsleecher use is NZB files. Is there a similar system / program with MAC?

Also, to begin with I plan on running a Windows partition to make my swich over as painless as possible, how well with Windows run on the MAC? I have ordered the new i5 core 27inch MAC and I can't wait until Thursday for it to arrive.

Anyway, thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
On Windows, I use a program called Newsleecher to download content via a usenet service. The fomat that Newsleecher use is NZB files. Is there a similar system / program with MAC?
You can try either NZB Drop or Unison.

Also, to begin with I plan on running a Windows partition to make my swich over as painless as possible, how well with Windows run on the MAC? I have ordered the new i5 core 27inch MAC and I can't wait until Thursday for it to arrive.
If you run it through Bootcamp, Windows will be installed natively so it will run just as fast on your Mac as it would on another computer with the same specs. If you virtualize it (Fusion/Parallels/VirtualBox), there will be a performance hit because you'll be running two OSes at once. Are you going to be using Bootcamp or virtualization?

OP
S
Reaction score
I am going to look at installing bootcamp, that seems the smart option - by doing this though,will all the bits work like the mouse, keyboard, wireless etc?

I take it that this is the best way to go for gaming?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The OS X disc will have the drivers for Windows. I suggest you read through the Boot Camp install guide first. And yes, Bootcamp is the best (if not the only way) for gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
If you are going to be using Windows quite a bit, i would recommend not using Bootcamp, since you have to opt for one os or the other. Using a vm is much better if you expect to be switching from one to the other during the day as I do. I use VMFusion and, in my opinion, Windows runs faster on the Mac than it did on a PC - I don't notice any deterioration in OS X when running VMFusion. As for gaming - never had time for it, so I'd take vansmith's opinion on that one :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
1) It's Mac, NOT MAC!

2) I second Unison, just a darn good Newsreader.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.